electrical problem,rectifier??

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
andy225

electrical problem,rectifier??

Post by andy225 »

My bike's started with an electrical problem at the weekend,doesn't happen all the time,the needles on the speedo and rev counter fluctuate wildly up and down and stop working all together,then it might work ok for a bit,also when its playing up and using the indicators at that time the small indicator light by the clocks flashes rapidly as if a bulbs gone.After stopping the bike for 30 mins it went back to normal but 10mins later after accelerating hard through the gears the fault came back.Could it the rectifier? was thinking of doing a rectifier upgrade,what would be the best Honda models that would fit and source one from.Appreciate help and information anyone can give me cheers Andy.
2002 VTR1000 firestorm,yellow,blueflame race cans. :D
VTRDark

Re: electrical problem,rectifier??

Post by VTRDark »

First check you battery terminals are nice and tight and that you have a good earth. Also get a multimeter out and check to see what the output is on the the RR by switching the meter to 20v DC, place the probes across the battery terminals with the bike running and see what it's outputting. It should be anywhere between 13.2 and 14.8V anymore than that and it will be overcharging and will fry the battery.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

Hello
Yep I'd go with cybercarl on that, sounds like a bad earth connection, but I'd check the charging as well
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most
7057vtr

Post by 7057vtr »

Hi there.
I have just had the same problem with my bike but I found the link on this forum about upgrading to a new R1 R/R as these are better than the Honda ones,it cost me £30 from ebay and fits straight on with a bit of wire work and now works fine.
I must admit I had some head scratching at first but this link helped with pictures and all.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That would be the following then. http://vtr1000f.wickidnet.com/ :biggrin

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
andy225

Post by andy225 »

just checked that link out and it does sound like my rectifier is about to fail so think I will give the rectifier upgrade a go,thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply to my post,much appreciated. Cheers thanks, Andy. :thumbup:
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

mine crapped out last summer, got a cb125 one of ebay took about 15 mins to fit and all now great :thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
andy225

Post by andy225 »

fitted a R6 rectifier at weekend,brilliant! no more problems,cheers everyone,thanks for the help :beer: