Dogs your view?

General Biker Banter
Fireman on a Storm

Dogs your view?

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

I know it's now bike related!
I'm off to look at a Weimaraner pup today. I've done a lot of research and asked questions.
Have any of you dog owners got any view!!!!
lloydie

Re: Dogs your view?

Post by lloydie »

Don't do it unless you can give all your spare time to train it .
Dimdunc

Post by Dimdunc »

Nice dogs :thumbup: as long as you don't let them get bored or leave them alone for too long, hope you have a big house and garden :D .

Downsides :thumbdown: Needs walking ever day, big muddy paw prints when it comes in, they tend to drool a little bit and then there's the problem with pet hair, (is it a long or short coat you're after?).

Saying that I have dogs :thumbup: , and always will have, sure they make a mess but they are great company, and when the missus falls out with you at least you'll have one friend in the house :D .

GO FOR IT :beer:
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

We have a Whippet, Whippets have very very kind natures and do funny things, they dont need lots of excersise but when you let them off the lead they run like............ well.......... a Whippet :wink:

Not sure about the breed you are looking at but my phylosophy with dogs is small ones tend be hard work and snappy, big ones soft and better natured.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Don't have a dog, stillhave issues with muddy paw prints, hair falling out & occasional drooling...

I do have a lot of experience of going into peoples homes who have all sorts of dogs, large & small & see the mess & damage they cause...

If it's what you want go for it but be prepared for a lot of looking after it & it taking up your time...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
playerone

Post by playerone »

get a cat instead :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Having a dog is like having a child, they are a responsibility and take up time and some funds. On the bright side they are loyal, good company and can be a pleasure to have around. Man's best friend.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
silver storm

Post by silver storm »

I have a Weimaraner he is two and a half now he is mental they need a lot of exercise and attention or they get bored he has just had his haw maws cut off the now and he is feeling sorry for himself I feel sorry for him as well come to think of it but he was trying to shag everything when we took him to the park so it had to be done. They are great dogs and everyone seems to like the look of them good luck just make sure it has had its first jag and the papers are ok.
Stevie
dragonback

Post by dragonback »

well seeing as we're on the subject , i am looking for a giant schnauzer puppy preferably in scotland as dont want to be having too long a time stuck in the motor! had one years ago great loyal dog he was too ! so i by any chance anyone knows of a pup for sale , give me the nod , cheers
DOES THIS RAG SMELL LIKE CHLOROFORM TO YOU ?
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Training. Try to skip over it or put it off and you'll have problems, whatever the breed or mixture. A dog is a dog, not a person. Get it right and they are, er, the dogs :D have fun :thumbup:
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

whatever you decide make sure you get it insured with a good level of cover

I have a staffie that decided to eat a peach stone once (no idea where from) and it cost me about 1300 quid for his x-rays and operation to remove it as it blocked his intestine

also you want to factor in how much food a dog like a wieneramer (can't spell it) eats, quality dog food is expensive and cheap stuff makes them fart loads/sh1t loads/hyperactive
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

Get a nice calm Springer Spaniel :lol:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
simon t

Post by simon t »

My tenant has one (plus a Staff) and they've completely f***ed my house up. Sammy the collie cross was/is never any trouble. Get a low-maintenance mutt!
Virt

Post by Virt »

BigVeeGrin wrote:Training. Try to skip over it or put it off and you'll have problems, whatever the breed or mixture. A dog is a dog, not a person. Get it right and they are, er, the dogs :D have fun :thumbup:
This. We used to have a Cairn Terrier cross Jack Russell who we got when I was incredibly young. God he was an aggressive little bugger, however with training and patience (and unfortunately force when it has to be used) we got him into the sweetest dog in the world. Dogs were naturally wild animals, and some dogs are still used for hunting. Of course it can be in their nature to get violent and aggressive, but most of the time ; nurture > nature.
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Neighbour has a Weimeraner, it has eaten its way through the kitchen floor and is now working on the wall. All this because in addition to walking the dog for miles, she has a part time job... Her son has two, when they come to stay, she empties the house and takes the time off work. The upside is they are of course, beautiful have you seen this?

W
Willful, but so willing to please

E
Exceedingly loyal, sometimes possessive

I
Immensely intelligent & incredibly stubborn

M
Misses his owners dreadfully if left alone

A

Accepts discipline readily with patience but:

R
Rules the roost if allowed