Speedo sensor type

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Motopsychojdn

Speedo sensor type

Post by Motopsychojdn »

Hi all, I'm currently awaiting a payout from a forced shift change at work and have decided the times right to get me another Storm, had one about eight years back and despite being a Sportshater I loved the Storm, my main bikes an 83 US Spec 750 Magna slightly modified but this is going to be MY toy (Once the better half sorts her licence out I don't need two seats on it, you follow? :P) as shes told me she most likely won't want to go on it, bad seating for fibro sufferer :(
hence the reason the Magna has not been single seat converted, we need at least one twoseater bike in the stable
One of the many things I have planned involves an acewell display but I don't know what type of sensor the vtr has, any chance of helping me out here please?
Its the bottom dropbox on here,
http://www.acewell.co.uk/Acewell%20Spee ... ull&id=198
That will be melded into one of the Predator headlights if I can find a CE marked one, if not its modding some dominators to fit inside the mask to keep things legal, but google can't supply me with the type of sensor, I wonder if the sales team there would be able to identify it maybe? xxx is for Vtr's kind of thing?
Cheers guys
**Edit to add pic of Serenity :)
currently offroad as pistonrings and ccts need done, so I ahem 'need' the Vtr to run to work and back, necessity see?
:P
Moto
Motopsychojdn

Re: Speedo sensor type

Post by Motopsychojdn »

Brainfail moment there I reckon, isn't the speedometer driven off the wheel?
I'm starting to think its the tacho/rev counter that is engine mounted, memory ain't what it was lol,
I'm sure I'll have more of them in the months to come but the bikes in my head now and I am trying to get things organised in there so when the bikes here I know what I'm doing in what order
Mental list (Mainly so I can remember the list :P) so far is,

Headlight and fairing mod first, predator unit with said speedo melded in and some customising aesthetically , mirrors worked into fairing along with some speakers and allowances for plugging my phone in, both to speakers and to charge it, phone doubles as satnav, alarm, fusebox and all wiring I can fit is going in the headlight as well, battery is going to have to be a small job, antigravity have the smallest I've found so far and if that can go in the headlight as well, it will
Yoke/risers and widebars next, doublesided indicators
Seat and exhaust mod last, 'Seat' is a secret design for now but the exhaust is going to be a 636 underseat unit that won't be under a seat :roll:
Mounting for numberplate will be attacked as I progress, it will tell me where its going

Manual ccts and also dyno testing at some point as my exhaust plan will probably throw things out some
and a Mattblack paintjob, most things I touch seem to end up Matt black though....
I wish I could draw or use paint programs/photoshop so I could put ideas into pictures but I really lack that talent, I just see things in my head and create accordingly :)
Oh well, not long to wait now, 28th July I can start looking for the donor/victim Vtr but this is going to be one very special naked custom Vtr,
Straight outta hell, one of a kind :)
Moto
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Speedo if you track it back is a sensor that goes into the back of the engine near the rear CCT and gets info from gearbox ;-) It connects into the loom nr the battery and magically reappears at the speedo. Look at the wiring bike's wiring diagram.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

Not sure if I am understanding the dilema, but TMK all the aftermarket speedos use a magnetic sensor on a wheel. (or at least are able to). I recently swapped to a Koso dash, liked it so then upgraded to a CBR600RR dash. The koso had multiple ways to get speed and rev ticks.

CBR DASH

Speedo magnetic sensor

KOSO DASH
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

Hey, did all my text get covered in that last post? what am I doing wrong? It said this;

Not sure if I am understanding the dilema, but TMK all the aftermarket speedos use a magnetic sensor on a wheel. (or at least are able to). I recently swapped to a Koso dash, liked it so then upgraded to a CBR600RR dash. The koso had multiple ways to get speed and rev ticks.

Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

isn't the speedometer driven off the wheel?
The standard one no, it's electronic. As for which one you choose. Looking at that website they are all their own style for different machines. I think you need to contact them and let the know the bike and ask them which one is appropriate.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Motopsychojdn

Post by Motopsychojdn »

@Wicky and Carl, Thanks, I seem to remember it was that way but then my brain started wondering and thats usually when my problems start lol, good to know it is the way I originally thought,
I reckon contacting Acewell is going to be the best option as the loom will be changing somewhat to acommodate my plans anyway
@Joe, I know most of them have the magnetic wheel type things but I'm not a fan tbh and would like to avoid that kind of (in my mind) unneccessary addition to the bike, I want to remove extraneous things not add hehe like seats, who needs em?
:P
I reckon I may get a Haynes first up though just to run through the diags because I need to know where alarm/immobilisers wires fit in and I'm tempted to put a biometric scanner in for the ignition as well, and thats got to wire in somewhere...
I'm geeky and the idea appeals hehe
Moto
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

There's a Honda workshop manual you can download in the workshop knowlegebase. No need for a Haynes. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Motopsychojdn

Post by Motopsychojdn »

Found a pic but no text accompanies,
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2991/f0200.tif
The Googling continues...
on the bright front, a mate says he'll lend me up to £1500 if I see one I like before I get the lump sum :)
Moto
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Motopsychojdn wrote:Found a pic but no text accompanies,
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2991/f0200.tif
The Googling continues...
on the bright front, a mate says he'll lend me up to £1500 if I see one I like before I get the lump sum :)
Moto
Well here is the rest that goes with your image:

http://www.ronayers.com/SPEEDOMETER-98-00-C175563.aspx
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Motopsychojdn

Post by Motopsychojdn »

Half twelve today, nailbiting time......
And its mine :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330932649706? ... 817wt_1428
£1019, Mot failed on Swingarm bushings and head bearings, both of which are included with the bike and the rear tyre needs done which I can get fitted before Mot so I'm 99% of the way back on a Storm,
Good times ahead :)
Moto
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

so now the modding fun can start..............good luck
AMcQ
Motopsychojdn

Post by Motopsychojdn »

Yup,
I'll do another thread as the build log and link it in here once I get some pics on saturday, maybe share a few of the ideas for appraisal :)
Moto
Motopsychojdn

Post by Motopsychojdn »

Picked up http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-R1-UND ... _45wt_1399 for £70 inc post, they'll be made to fit nicely into the plan and have some mounting points, handy for mounting on a brace and fit the numberplate maybe...
Also grabbed a couple of ground anchors with chains,
found a suitable base for the headlight, just waiting to hear back if the lights are CE or not,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151056435257? ... 170wt_1161
Few packs of epoxy putty to build/mould features and a mate let slip he used to paint Warhammer stuff so hes 'volunteered' his painting skills to the project,
and the Nightcrawler ( named after the Judas priest song, not marvel character) will have a face at long last :twisted:
If you don't know it/aren't old enough to remember it, go listen and imagine burning down the motorway on a stormy night :P

Moto
Motopsychojdn

Post by Motopsychojdn »

Lights weren't Ce marked so alternative plan is brought into force, a 636 head unit will be modded into a Predator mask complete with the targetting laser thing, I'm wiring my alarm led into that for a useful and cool mod :-)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/predator-mask ... _64wt_1399
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271219790856? ... 178wt_1399
Moto