Battery dead

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Mrvtr98

Battery dead

Post by Mrvtr98 »

Hi , guys. I have owned my 98 vtr for 10 years and it has been great, now I have replaced the battery with an Lithium Ion battery. All was great .
It was lighter, CCA good. Then a mate borrowed it to practice and was sitting on the hwy @ 110kph and it died. The battery was quiet hot and distorted.Yet it was fine around town, no probs in start up and cruising. Any ideas from the group?
VTRDark

Re: Battery dead

Post by VTRDark »

Check the Regulater Rectifier is not overcharging.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Mrvtr98

Post by Mrvtr98 »

The battery was only 5 days old, time to see if they wear the warranty. might as well just order a new volt reg as well. Never had any real issuses with the OEM batteries, or it might just be a coincidence...Hmmm
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If the the R/R is overcharging it will fry the Battery and kill it and vica versa, a bad battery can kill an R/R as it can't regulate the charge that is going back into it and gets damaged from putting as much into the battery as it possibly can from the generator as the battery can no longer hold a charge.

For a list of diagnosis checks see the Regulator Rectifier Charging System Diagnosis Checks in my signature. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Gazfirestormowner

Post by Gazfirestormowner »

Wicky is that picture a standard Honda rr cause mine don't look like that ?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

That's the pre2001 self-cooking OEM R/R - on the later model Honda replaced it with an upgraded finned version.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR-125 ... 2ec68e7a97

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Gazfirestormowner

Post by Gazfirestormowner »

Ok i presume mine has been upgraded as it has the fins on it.
darkember

Post by darkember »

I would also check that all your earth bondings are clean & tight.
Mrvtr98

Post by Mrvtr98 »

Took the battery back to the bike shop and its getting shipped back for warranty. The wires and earth connections are all good. May as well order a new R/Reg.
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

FYI you can also get an R1 RR as they are way more robust than even the 2nd gen honda unit.

Whatever you do, dont get the 1st gen, even if its free. It is only a liability.

I still dont trust the li-Ion units and dont see a huge upside to them other than racing, where the wieght savings matters and a truck comes and gets you when you stall.
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Smokinjoe73 wrote:FYI you can also get an R1 RR as they are way more robust than even the 2nd gen honda unit.

Whatever you do, dont get the 1st gen, even if its free. It is only a liability.

I still dont trust the li-Ion units and dont see a huge upside to them other than racing, where the wieght savings matters and a truck comes and gets you when you stall.
I've had 2 r1 regs fail on me so unless you get a MOSFET one stick with a Honda r/r
Mrvtr98

Post by Mrvtr98 »

Excuse my ignorance but what is a MOSFET?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

darkember

Post by darkember »

Another good policy would be smere a good dollop of that heat transfer paste they use pc chips on the back before bolting it to the frame