London2Brighton MTB 75 miles Off road - AGAIN!

General Biker Banter
AMCQ46

Re: London to Brighton - MTB - Off road :o

Post by AMCQ46 »

That looks steep in the middle section... Good work :thumbup:
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

AMCQ46 wrote:That looks steep in the middle section... Good work :thumbup:
Thanks Al 8)

It was a bitch. The second climb was bloody hard due to the fact its after the first fooker. I got halfway up, changed to an easier gear and "crunch" didn't change right so I lost momentum and stopped. Tried to pedal and the rear wheel just spun. When I did get traction, due to the incline and low gear, it just wanted to wheelie. Once I got momentum, it was ok. Really pleased that out of the 5 of us, only me an a mate completed it. Wasn't feeling to bad today which is good. Lots of ice on me legs last nite seems to have done the trick. It certainly put 75 miles into perspective. Back to cycling to work tomorrow. Need to build up the miles. :biggrin
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

good effort Geo - bloke at work and his mates are doing this I found out yesterday. His problem is his practice route is small so he has to go round it about 50 times!
geodude

Post by geodude »

48.9 miles, 4 punctures, muddy energy sapping tracks and saving the hilly bits to the end.

My legs are in turmoil this morning and I have volleybal, 14 miles on the MTB and a 7 mile walk to do tomorrow :eek2

Who's idea was it to sign up to this anyways? :twisted:

http://app.strava.com/activities/60566840
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Well done, you will look back on it fondly.......eventually, but not for the next few days :thumbup:
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

AMCQ46 wrote:Well done, you will look back on it fondly.......eventually, but not for the next few days :thumbup:
Thanks Al. Ice packs on the quads are doing the trick :thumbup:

I just hope I can jump tomorrow. A short butt like me needs to be able to jump in volleyball. lol
Whoa Nelly

Post by Whoa Nelly »

Good work Geo - that's a fair old mileage! :clap:

I'm heading out to the alps to ride this week - we've been planning to ride the Tour de Mont Blanc for ages, training for some back to back long days (not as long as yours) and big climbs & descents. However, the unusually late winter means the high cols are still completely snowed in, so we're scuppered for this trip. Plan B will be days riding local singletrack & too much beer in Chamonix. Oh well.

Hope the recovery goes well for you! :thumbup:
WN! '99 Firestorm, furry dice & 2lbs of dead insects
geodude

Post by geodude »

Thanks Nelly. :thumbup:

The tough bit was a section where it was deep mud. I had changed tyres to a more track biased pair and had zero grip in the muddy stuff. As you probably know, that saps energy big time. Also, the hilly bits were towards the end which didn't help. lol

Have fun in the alps. Plan B sounds great.

As for the recovery, not too bad. Still feeling it in the quads a bit. Lets see how I get on with the 4 miles to work, hour of volleyball and the cycle home. :eek2
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

good going Geo, tough to I bet :thumbup: - mind if I follow you on Strava?? Thinking of doing the strava climbing challenge, although it would mean going up and down a steep sh1t of a hill about 500 times in 8 days or so

and Whoa - bit jealous here, went out at the weekend looking for hills round here, few and far between :( mind you, been going out to get the miles up and did an 85 miler with stops and a 65 without over the past few weeks. Bring on Le Tour :thumbup:

if it helps I do this to help core strength (important as I'm >50!!) and it made a big diff http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/P ... d_Core.htm - pooped it into a google doc here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzIwLVc ... sp=sharing
geodude

Post by geodude »

No problem BVG.

Impressive mileage :thumbup: I take it your on a road bike? If it's MTB off road then :eek2

In addition to that document, have a go at this. Do it 3 times a week for a couple of weeks and see how you get on. :twisted:

[youtube][/youtube]

Edit: Do your best and forget the rest :thumbup:
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

request sent - will look at that later, although the evils face makes me worried!! ambulance please :lol:
geodude

Post by geodude »

BigVeeGrin wrote:request sent - will look at that later, although the evils face makes me worried!! ambulance please :lol:
If you are doing 40-80 miles you shouldn't find it to demanding. It's useful though. I have found pedalling from the core a great help :thumbup:
geodude

Post by geodude »

Updated first post with donation information. If you can spare a few quid, it will be great.

This is a huge challenge for me, even though we did 49 miles a few weeks ago, it was flat compared to the North and South Downs.

Here is the route
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Don't worry Geo I have not forgotten about the donation I promised. I shall send it tomorrow if I remember as I will have been paid. If I have not done it by Sat PM me just to re-jog my memory :thumbup:
geodude

Post by geodude »

Ckennedy wrote:Don't worry Geo I have not forgotten about the donation I promised. I shall send it tomorrow if I remember as I will have been paid. If I have not done it by Sat PM me just to re-jog my memory :thumbup:
Thanks matey. I'm sure there will be a few bumps between now and September :thumbup: