Numb fingers!

General Bike chat
Watty

Numb fingers!

Post by Watty »

Hi all, anyone suffer with numb fingers on the storm? Done approx 150 mile ride out today and suffered quite badly with it! I know I'm due new gloves( slightly tight ) but never really had too much trouble on my zx6! Bike is fitted with motrax after market bar ends, could it be they are not heavy enough? Cheers, Andy.
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
lloydie

Re: Numb fingers!

Post by lloydie »

Maybe its time you looked at your riding posture when on the bike .

Try to have a lighter grip on the bars by supporting your weight by using your lower back and grip the tank with your knees .
This helped me before fitting renthal bars .
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

yep relax your grip.

maybe get some looser fitting gloves. (note i said that before reading thaat your gloves are too tight! its a common thing)

any excessive vibration from the front end? check the brakes arent binding, front wheel balance, wheel bearings....
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Watty

Post by Watty »

That's basically how I ride mate as far as possible, that's a mistake I used to make in my early riding days! Used to hang on for grim death! :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Gazfirestormowner

Post by Gazfirestormowner »

Yeah I had the same first few rides on mine turns out I was gripping on for grim life gets better as u get used to the bike and relax a bit lol
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Wattys1 wrote:That's basically how I ride mate as far as possible, that's a mistake I used to make in my early riding days! Used to hang on for grim death! :?
lolz! no need to. make a conscious effort to relax and youll enjoy the ride a lot more and find it a lot less tiring.
you must be nackered after 100 mile???

the bike will more or less ride itself. and the quicker you go the more stable it will be.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Watty

Post by Watty »

benny hedges wrote:yep relax your grip.

maybe get some looser fitting gloves. (note i said that before reading thaat your gloves are too tight! its a common thing)

any excessive vibration from the front end? check the brakes arent binding, front wheel balance, wheel bearings....
I wouldn't say any excessive vibes! All good brakes and bearing wise and new tyres newly balanced!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Watty

Post by Watty »

benny hedges wrote:
Wattys1 wrote:That's basically how I ride mate as far as possible, that's a mistake I used to make in my early riding days! Used to hang on for grim death! :?
lolz! no need to. make a conscious effort to relax and youll enjoy the ride a lot more and find it a lot less tiring.
you must be nackered after 100 mile???

the bike will more or less ride itself. and the quicker you go the more stable it will be.
I don't hang on any more mate! Just relaxed and enjoy it.
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

You could always raise your bars up the forks 5mm or so and get the later model handle bars. I did this and its made no end of difference.
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

I only ever had this once, and that was a sustained run of constant 60 mph ish. I had a hugger strapped to the rear seat that I didnt want to lose, so had to take it easy. That must have been the right speed for the vibes to get me, never happened again.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Yes you have to keep your hands lite on the bike.

When you are in your car, do you hold the steering wheel in a death grip or just lightly use you hands or even finger tips to steer with ?

The bike is the same thing. The bars are there to steer with, not hold you up.

When you loosen your grip you also begin to "feel" what is going on with the front tire.
This makes you a safer rider in the long run because the bike will tell you it is not happy, long before you loose the front (in most cases) if you are paying "attention" to your front end feed back.

With a death grip, you hit the ground with no warning what so ever.

getting off the soap box now...... :Smoke3:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Watty

Post by Watty »

leevtr wrote:I only ever had this once, and that was a sustained run of constant 60 mph ish. I had a hugger strapped to the rear seat that I didnt want to lose, so had to take it easy. That must have been the right speed for the vibes to get me, never happened again.
We've been stuck around that speed a few times today!!!!!!!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

They need heavy bar weights or there is a lot of vibration (especially if you stay at one engine speed) so of it has short aftermarket ones then swap them back to the steel Honda ones, or get some heavier ones.....I have some extra heavy ones I was using before I fitted renthals if you want to try them
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote:They need heavy bar weights or there is a lot of vibration (especially if you stay at one engine speed) so of it has short aftermarket ones then swap them back to the steel Honda ones, or get some heavier ones.....I have some extra heavy ones I was using before I fitted renthals if you want to try them
I would say worth seeing if heavier handlebar weights or originals could help, and as others have said, a lighter grip does make a difference.

I don't know if this would make much difference to handlebar vibration, but when were the carbs last balanced?

Chris.
geodude

Post by geodude »

Other possible things to try that haven't been covered

Do you carry a rucksack? Having the straps to tight can restrict blood flow to your hands.

Ill fitting and new gloves can lead to numbing too. Especially new gloves as you are having to put more effort closing your hands due to the new material being tight.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories