Airbox modding

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
8541Hawk

Re: Airbox modding

Post by 8541Hawk »

For the clip, would the one that holds the fuel line to the frame work?
If so here is the P\N 90652-HC4-003
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I thought of that..... I just picked up some fine Chinese clips on eBay.... lol I will mount these ("ratcheting type" along the back of the box where I can easily separate them; was looking for more of a simple "slip-in" type for underneath - I may end up simply making one (have a heat gun and lots of pieces of airbox plastic, lol)

No mad rush to get this project off the ground so I can wait for the stuff to show up..... besides, my next experiment will be airfilter-based, then onto the actual airbox......
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

well, it's raining out... idle hands..... so I made some clips for the hoses....
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I got the used OEM filter yesterday and began getting it ready for my forthcoming filter experiment. One thing that stood out as I took out the filter medium, is the small pocket moulded into the OEM filter, essentially providing additional clearance for the front (IIRC) stack. based on what I have read elsewhere about airflow and the effect of things in close proximity to the stacks, this seems to be a definite bonus. Curiously, this is not present on either the K&N or BMC filters......

am just waiting for the BMC filter to arrive (today or tomorrow) and I will be able to finish putting together my experimental hybrid filter.....
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

mik_str wrote:I got the used OEM filter yesterday and began getting it ready for my forthcoming filter experiment. One thing that stood out as I took out the filter medium, is the small pocket moulded into the OEM filter, essentially providing additional clearance for the front (IIRC) stack. based on what I have read elsewhere about airflow and the effect of things in close proximity to the stacks, this seems to be a definite bonus. Curiously, this is not present on either the K&N or BMC filters......

am just waiting for the BMC filter to arrive (today or tomorrow) and I will be able to finish putting together my experimental hybrid filter.....
That is quite probably because Honda know better, even though you would be forgiven for thinking that every Storm owner in the land knows more than the Japanese geniuses that actually build the fcuking things !!
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I have noticed that too with the standard item . What I'm planning to do to one is remove the baffle from the top and increase that step more buy not leaving it in the oven too long lol
Virt

Post by Virt »

leevtr wrote:
every Storm owner in the land knows more than the Japanese geniuses that actually build the fcuking things !!
I present to you exhibit A...

Moi.
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

leevtr wrote:
mik_str wrote:I got the used OEM filter yesterday and began getting it ready for my forthcoming filter experiment. One thing that stood out as I took out the filter medium, is the small pocket moulded into the OEM filter, essentially providing additional clearance for the front (IIRC) stack. based on what I have read elsewhere about airflow and the effect of things in close proximity to the stacks, this seems to be a definite bonus. Curiously, this is not present on either the K&N or BMC filters......

That is quite probably because Honda know better, even though you would be forgiven for thinking that every Storm owner in the land knows more than the Japanese geniuses that actually build the fcuking things !!
No need to get hostile..... :thumbup:

BTW, the engineers at Honda are clearly not infallible, as evidenced by the standard fork calibration, OEM R/R and CCTs.......
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Oh no he's off again. Unnecessary mods. :lol: :lol:

Some of us just like tinkering and experimenting. It's a learning curve. Sometimes it works, other times it don't, but you don't know unless you try. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Yeah those little Japanese guys do know all and no matter the price point always do a proper job..... :Jaw Drop:
I'll run right out and pull my forks and chop off the swingarm brace and get rid of those HRC kit parts as I'm just a silly sod for ever changing anything..... :eek2 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Though I can kind of see the point he is trying to make and that is why I do take the time to figure out what those tricky engineers were doing before I start changing things.

I will say you guys have missed the biggest "weak" point on the stock bike.

IMHO it is the lower triple clamp. That is where most (once you have the valving and springs set to your weight and riding style) of the front end issues come from and why a fork brace does work very well on the stock front end. :thumbup:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

8541Hawk wrote:I will say you guys have missed the biggest "weak" point on the stock bike.

IMHO it is the lower triple clamp. That is where most (once you have the valving and springs set to your weight and riding style) of the front end issues come from and why a fork brace does work very well on the stock front end. :thumbup:
yeah sure, but it does nothing for airflow to and within the airbox, does it? :biggrin
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

mik_str wrote: yeah sure, but it does nothing for airflow to and within the airbox, does it? :biggrin
Very true and you really don't need a front wheel on this bike anyways...... 8O :lol: :lol:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

8541Hawk wrote:
mik_str wrote: yeah sure, but it does nothing for airflow to and within the airbox, does it? :biggrin
Very true and you really don't need a front wheel on this bike anyways...... 8O :lol: :lol:
Bull!!!! if the Honda engineers put it there, it`s for a reason.... because they, like the Pope, are infallible! :biggrin
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Got the BMC street filter today and cut it all up to get the one-off custom air filter done up. It's now all done (ie. BMC filter element atop the OEM filer base, the object being to raise the filter element away from the intake stacks, so as to not interfere with the airflow, the result of having them too close.) A by-product of this is that the raising of the filter just increased the post-filter volume by about half a liter, which should offer benefits on its own.

I used the BMC base to fab a spacer, in this case to raise the lid over the now, much taller air filter. Will post pics in the next couple of days...
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

Hey mik, what is the goal of all this airbox tomfoolery? Sorry if I missed it but what are you going for?

And yeah, what about those goldwings and vfrs that have fans that fight the natural airflow direction and cause overheating? What were Honda thinking then?
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.