crash bungs

General Biker Banter
john cresser

crash bungs

Post by john cresser »

where and which type of crash bungs should i be looking for. john c.
Smokinjoe73

Re: crash bungs

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

I use t-rex frame sliders (colony speak). The ones of an f4i are way more plentiful and fit fine but you need to go get different bolts. I paid 24 US dollars. I got the extended ones but surprisingly, even the short ones saved the bike in a crash.

I also put a set of sliders by the passanger pegs to save the pipes, which they did in a crash or 2 also.

You can pay more for fancier stuff but since they are the sacraficial annode, I cant see why. These are cheap and do the business.

You can see them in this pic along with my bar end sliders. This bike has been down on both sides including a colarbone breaking highside and all orig bodywork. Sorry for my mug mucking up the picture.

Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

There are two types of crash protectors. One lot will require cutting or making a hole in the fairing (R&G for example do this) or the second lot that don't and mount to the frame or engine mounts. There are very limited options on the market for the VTR and the nice ones are generally expensive for what they are.

If I was to get some then these would be the choice for me. I just can't justify the expense. :eek2
http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Honda_V ... tml#a24541
I also like the rear ones for protecting the cans.

Or http://pdq1.com/part.php?PartID=2413&Ma ... =144&Year=

TBH one of the best type of crash protectors you can buy for these bikes is the Carbonadi carbon engine casing covers. The most common thing to ever get damaged on these bikes in a fall is the engine casing, which can leave you stranded with a hole and an oil leak. More specifically the Clutch cover. At least fairings are easily replaced or repaired.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Personally I don't like them and don't run them.

I have two reasons for this.

First I have seen bikes damaged more because they were mounted. What happened (and I have seen it a few times) is the crash bobbin gets caught in a hole or catches a lip and the bike then flips end over end... :eek2

Then there is the mounting points on this bike. As the engine is a stressed member, it bothers me to pull an engine mounting bolt and replacing it with the crash bobbin mounting bolt.

So run them if you want but they will not save you from everything and might even cause more damage in a crash.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

I would put the cost of all the destroyed fairing, radiators, handlebars and shiftgear on one side of the scale, and the cheap cost of sliders on the other.

You can pay me now, or pay me later. I chose now.

Fairings arent cheap and I rode the bike away from the highside. 13yrs racing & sliders have saved me countless times at 100+mph.

Field testing still in progress.
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

On what kind of bike did you have these crashes?

Was it a VTR or a bike with a full frame?

Were the engine mounting bolts used to hold the sliders on?

All I was saying is that you can have as much or even more damage with sliders installed. You are not the only one who has spent time on the track and I can pull pics I have somewhere of a bike wadded into a ball after a simple low side but the slider caught when going off the track and destroyed the bike.

So in that case and I have more examples, simple low side damage was turned into a totaled bike due to sliders being installed.

My point is that they are not a "save all" product and there are down sides to running them.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Field testing still in progress.
:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: The only thing is, coming off on a track is a bit different from the street with street furniture and stuff.

I must admit I don't like the idea of using the engine mountings and most certainly not removing them and replacing with something possibly not as strong or cant be torqued up as much. What would be nice is to have a bracket mounted around the frame just above the rad and then have the crash bung mounted to the bracket. I'm not a fan of cutting holes in the fairing either.

The way I see it crash protection is just prevention of damage to vulnerable areas. If you crash something is likely going to get damaged somewhere whether the crash bungs contribute to it or not. It's all down to the luck of the draw. The most important thing I would like to protect would be my cans. It would break my heart to damage them.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

I use the r and g ones on my track bike that mount to the engine bolts as Carl said earlier i had to drill some holes in the fairing i have seen many a bike actually have more damage due to these for example
last year my friend had a low side on his zx9 but as it went down the bobbin dug into the track and as it slid along and hit the curb it bounced on the bobbin which in turn flipped the bike over.

I think there good at preventing damage on dropping the bike but I don't see them saving the bike at all on any type of riding incident
1998 black vtr (mods cbr900 fork conversion, ohlins rear shock, ohlins steering damper, prolite discs brembo master cylinder, goodridge braided lines, harris rear sets, Quick shifter,Mario Fairing, etc)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i just try not to crash :D .
if i do il be more concerned about my legs and arms than a busted fairing at my age :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

To dredge an old thread, are RG the only through the fairing style? I want them as low as possible.

Why? I want them to be pseudo highway pegs so I can dangle my legs over them on long rides.