side stand?

General Bike chat
callam_nffc

Re: side stand?

Post by callam_nffc »

thanks marty that will be worth looking into :)
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

I am not impressed at all with the design of the side stand on my bike it
is definitely the worst part of the machine... rest is brill .. :D
and I have to really struggle a bit to make sure its down..
Honda you could have done a lot better here :? Centre stands
were much better .
Alb :thumbup:
Virt

Post by Virt »

Honda were going for a more sports orientated bike than say, a VFR800 VTEC so not only was there not much room for a centre stand it added unnecessary weight onto the bike too
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Works fine on mine :confused - have you dropped your forks an inch or two through the yolks (to speed the steering)? :?:
Saintsman27 wrote:I am not impressed at all with the design of the side stand on my bike it
is definitely the worst part of the machine... rest is brill .. :D
and I have to really struggle a bit to make sure its down..
Honda you could have done a lot better here :? Centre stands
were much better .
Alb :thumbup:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

I believe the forks have been dropped through the yoke, because its had a revolution fork upgrade and in the set up it does state in the set up to drop them
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Therefore you'll lose ground clearance and the bike will stand more upright on the sidestand.

For gaining more clearance for the footpegs remove as suggested the 'hero' blobs or fit higher mounted rearsets.
WARNING: Reducing the ride height and suspension travel on any motorcycle will create reduced cornering and clearance, suspension travel, and ground clearance. The rider must use extreme caution when riding his modified machine, particularly while familiarizing himself with its altered handling characteristics. After lowering, your side stand may be too long and require shortening or bending. Check your machine for proper tilt angle on stand. Alter side stand if necessary.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
JAKETHEPEG

Post by JAKETHEPEG »

Did you get your sidestand sorted? I've got a shortened sidestand that I could do with swapping for a regular length sidestand if that helps?
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

If anything it should tilt too much. And yes, sprint out and add the spacer, makes it handle like a 600. Then you will have a whole slew of stand-too-short issues.

A cbr1000 stand or ghetto method like this

Figure an hour of drilling and grinding at least. Dont mind those pesky tourists staring, go on and make sparks on the sidewalk.
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Well don't know what all the fuss is about..... I've been running a 10mm rear spacer with the stock stand with no issues what so ever.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Same here with my 6mm spacer. It's weird some bikes tend to lean more than others. Off course if forks have been raised or lowered then this affects things as well.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
fireballxl5

Post by fireballxl5 »

Same as Carl running 6mm shock spacer, no problems with sidestand, forks in standard position.
darkember

Post by darkember »

Smokinjoe73 wrote:If anything it should tilt too much. And yes, sprint out and add the spacer, makes it handle like a 600. Then you will have a whole slew of stand-too-short issues.

A cbr1000 stand or ghetto method like this

Figure an hour of drilling and grinding at least. Dont mind those pesky tourists staring, go on and make sparks on the sidewalk.
Practical but a little gash. Remind me not to let you near my bike :lol: :lol:

Do remember in the hot weather to carry some solid & flat to place under the side stand, otherwise you may find it lying on its side when you get back to it.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Do remember in the hot weather to carry some solid & flat to place under the side stand, otherwise you may find it lying on its side when you get back to it.
If not the battery cover works well. I had to do use that the other week when parked on some gravel.

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Carl, You will normally be able to find a coke or beer can within 10yds of anywhere you park, I use them rather than bits of the bike :lol:
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Now that is what I call a pukka idea. :lol: No old rubbish where I was on that day, out in the middle of the countryside. It was the only thing close to hand. Initiative is what was needed. :biggrin