speedometer/tacho/temp.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
vtrjames

speedometer/tacho/temp.

Post by vtrjames »

hey all, i am at the stage with my bike build where its time to do a bit of wiring. i have decided to have all the front harness connectors behind the headstock apart from lights etc, but i was wondering is there any aftermarket speedo that can be wired into the bikes harness so it is using the bikes sensors.i.e hall sensor/oil/temp sensor?

the oil light is fine thats just a switch,but i would like a temp guage and would prefer not to fit a speedo with hall sensor on the front wheel.

i am sure i seen someone with sp1 or 2 guages on their bike?.that i would like to do

cheers..
james
VTRDark

Re: speedometer/tacho/temp.

Post by VTRDark »

the oil light is fine thats just a switch,but i would like a temp guage and would prefer not to fit a speedo with hall sensor on the front wheel.
The speedo is electronic there are no sensors on the front wheel. :thumbup:

If you can work out which wire does what then you can fit pretty much any dash with some slight modification. Speedo heeler so the speedo reads correctly and hopefully get the tach working. If you want a temperature gauge like the later storm dash then you need to upgrade the coolant sensor. Don't forget if you want a fuel level gauge then you need to put a float in the tank.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
vtrjames

Post by vtrjames »

aye i know the standard speedo set up isnt on the front wheel, im on about those aftermarket ones that come with the sensor to stick on,not really wanting that,but if i have to do it at least i can play with sprockets and not worry about altering the readings.I would like to keep using the standard hall sensor in the gearbox for tidyness.

I have been trying to work in the standard clocks for ease but its just too big.as ive said tho im not too bothered about revs.

am i right in thinking ive seen a set of sp2 clocks on a storm or have i dreamt this???
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

No your not dreaming mikstr in canada has got SP clocks, a fair few have fitted CBR clocks. I've got cbr1000 clocks, the triangular shape ones with the huge rev counter in the middle to fit to mine when I get around to it.

The Superhawk site is good for info on changing the clocks.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cbr+c ... annel=fflb

vtrjames

Post by vtrjames »

ahh ok, its maybe them ive seen.they look good.is it alot smaller than the storm clocks? what work do you require to do to fit them on?

will look very nice when done :thumbup: :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

what work do you require to do to fit them on?
A fair bit because I want to be able to how swap between the CBR dash and the original for MOT mileage purposes. :roll: and in case I can't get the tach working or something. I'm hoping a speedo heeler will sort that out along with the accurate speedo reading. The rest is pretty straight forward working out which wire does what and connecting them up to the right connector pins. I also have a later coolant sensor so I will get an accurate temp reading. Well...here's hoping anyway. I guess there may be a bit of trial and error involved.

I would also like to incorporate a gear selector and voltage meter into the dash preferably. If not I may device some kind of carbon surround for the whole dash to sit in and place the gear selector and any other bits into that, along with some switches just for looks or future use. Maybe an ejector seat button :lol: ciggie lighter and anything else I can think of. The most important thing is, I want it to look as one complete unit and factory fitted. Maybe a little tv screen butt up against the bottom of the screen would be nice too, for a rear facing camera. :think: A lot of it is just ideas at the moment, once the dash is in I can then start adding to it.

Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

I have swapped to a koso brand dash, then to a cbr600rr dash. It is NOT easy and not for the faint of heart but having a big digital speedo and gas guage on my 98 feels like a new bike.

gratuitous on track vid

KOSO

(cbr dash)

The koso uses the magnetic pick up, the cbr dash uses all the honda stock wires but needs splicing.
I would bet you could use other honda guages since big red uses the sam signals.
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
vtrjames

Post by vtrjames »

definately worth the work carl! but a fair bit. i see there is a wiring diagram on the super hawk forum but i cant access it as im not a member that diagram is for the cbr1000 clocks like you have.

if the speedo sensors are similar then i suppose a healer would be all thats required.

im not bothered about the wiring,just away to start custom fitting the harness so the bike looks like the inside of a telephone exchange at the mo.

the clocks in the 2nd vid look good, but you say the cbr ones use the speedo/tacho with little work?
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

The koso guages are readily available. The one in the vid is direct from China and not as refined as the real koso, but from the same factory.

I also have a voltage guage on the "dash" as well as an ambient temp guage since I ride year round & want ice alerts.

Look on ebay for the kosos but the one I have has a magnet pick up for speedo. The cbr (or any other honda guage) has tach and speed that mate right up, which is nice.

Carl, rear facing camera? Do you think a bike is a viable situation to be focusing on a video screen with all the things rushing at you that may kill or maim you? I wouldn't do it. But I wont text & drive or wire a cell phone into my helmet speakers either. Too much happening.
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

vtrjames wrote:definately worth the work carl! but a fair bit. i see there is a wiring diagram on the super hawk forum but i cant access it as im not a member that diagram is for the cbr1000 clocks like you have.

if the speedo sensors are similar then i suppose a healer would be all thats required.

im not bothered about the wiring,just away to start custom fitting the harness so the bike looks like the inside of a telephone exchange at the mo.

the clocks in the 2nd vid look good, but you say the cbr ones use the speedo/tacho with little work?
If you give me a link to the thread I can get it for you :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
vtrjames

Post by vtrjames »

right, im not too great wi this but here goes.that should be the link to the thread that contains the wiring diagram. :thumbup:

http://superhawkforum.com/forums/modifi ... n-s-15181/
vtrjames

Post by vtrjames »

well im pleased with myself, it works, :D :clap: . the link to the diagram if about halfway down
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Carl, rear facing camera? Do you think a bike is a viable situation to be focusing on a video screen with all the things rushing at you that may kill or maim you?
Not for filming just and extra mirror type thing. A digital version of the following if you like.
http://www.huntercreate.com/index.htm

Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

Yeah, but be aware, mirrors allow your eyes to remain focused into the distance. The camera is a total refocus on a 2d screen close up. Maybe 10-15 times longer than a speedo look.

Not sure what environment you ride in but with no bumpers, you are only surrounded by awareness. Like I said, I wouldnt affix such a stumbling block to my bike.