Foot-rest Hangers , HELP!!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
EggShellBlond

Foot-rest Hangers , HELP!!!

Post by EggShellBlond »

Hi all ,

I've recently purchased some Harris rearsets, and finally got round to fitting them

The Haynes manual gives fairly clear instructions on how to do things like take off brake pedals and gear selector etc , but there are one or two things I'd like some clarification on.........

The foot rests are secured to the bike by a HUGE great rod that goes from one side to the other

Am I right in thinking this is the swing arm pivot ?

I've undone it , and then it occured to me that the swing arm/wheel would be hanging more or less free

So I've not actually removed it

So , do I need to prop the wheel and / or the swing arm in place ??

Secondly , removing the rod itself , do I whack it through from the left with a handy bit of dowel , or pull it through from the right ? If so , what with ??

I think that's all for now

Cheers

Stu
If a job's worth doing..........It's worth paying someone to do it properly
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Stu,
Yes you're right in your assumption that its the swing-arm pivot. It holds most of the back of the bike on so try not to remove it without supporting the bike on something like a paddock stand!!!!

If you've got a centre lift stand, use that.
If not it is quite easy to get a length of rod of a similar (or smaller) diameter and knock the bolt out with that. This rod will then support the swing arm etc while you fit the rear-sets

Ben
EggShellBlond

Post by EggShellBlond »

Cheers Ben

Yeah , the bikes on a paddock stand , do I need to support the wheel though ?

I had a brainwave , and looked in the book at the procedure for removing the swing arm , but that involves taking the back wheel out .

So , I'm thinking that there has to be an easier way to do it , I'll try your suggestion of a rod following the spindle through

A Broomstick handle is flickering thru' my mind ( always a dangerous place to visit :twisted: ) , but then I'm thinking that the diameter may be too large , and also worried about strength

Not being " handy " , I don't have assorted lengths of metal just hanging about the place :(

Thanks for the input

Stu
trebs

Post by trebs »

"If a job's worth doing..........It's worth paying someone to do it properly"

Sorry Stu, just read your questions and hit your sig line... I did have to chuckle a bit ;)

Rob.
EggShellBlond

Post by EggShellBlond »

trebs wrote:"If a job's worth doing..........It's worth paying someone to do it properly"

Sorry Stu, just read your questions and hit your sig line... I did have to chuckle a bit ;)

Rob.
Mmm , wondered when someone would pick up on that :lol:

The point is , I'm going to have a go at some of the simpler stuff , I've got a good guy locally , for the hard stuff , but this should be fairly easy

Famous last words................................ :roll:
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

May be best to have your mobile handy for when the bike falls off the stand and you are trapped underneath,

sorry Stu could'nt resist.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
EggShellBlond

Post by EggShellBlond »

iggy1966 wrote:May be best to have your mobile handy for when the bike falls off the stand and you are trapped underneath,

sorry Stu could'nt resist.
No need mate , I'd be missed if I didn't turn up for meals / bed , there'd be a search party !! :D
EggShellBlond

Post by EggShellBlond »

UPDATE

I took the back wheel out , and used the spindle to " drift " the swing arm pivot out , as it's the same size ,( and I'm going up to a 43 on the rear , so I thought I'd do it all at the same time)

However , I could only get the pivot half way , drift/whack/welt /thrash as i might.
I then found a slightly smaller diameter rod ( metal curtain pole , actually ) and after a good deal of hitting , sweating and swearing , out it came

I'd intended to give all the little nooks and crannies a good clean while the area was clear of footrests etc however , it ended up being a bit of a rush job , as I was keen to get the thing back in one piece ASAP

Having put the rear-sets on to the pivot , I attempted to get it back thru' the bike , and guess what ?? the bloody swingarm was about 3mm out , it'd dropped

Nightmare 8O

So , how to get it all back in line , and get the spindle through ??

I tried jacking the swing arm up , that didn't work

Nor did levering it up ( I got a bit scared about shoving a hole in the bottom of the engine )

I was thinking about one of those hoists , to take the weight , removing the shock linkage bugger bugger bugger etc , as I don't have a beam to use in the garage

Then I tried a large set of step ladders over the back of thje bike , with a view to suspending it off that , but the steps wouldn't clear the bike

Brainwave !! I got a 2nd set of steps , setting them up either side of the bike. I then ran 2 metal rods ( remember the curtain pole ? ) through the sub-frame in front of the can hangers

It was then fairly easy to lever the back up , drop the steps under the rods , and voila , one VTR suspended in the air

A little judicious wiggling later , and the pivot was back in place , whew

So , all I need to do now is check the cans fit , tighten everything up , oh and make sure the brake light works

I think , if I ever do anything like this again , an ABBA style lift will be ordered first

Was it Jonacol off here who made & sold something simular ??
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

EggShellBlond wrote:UPDATE

Yep, I think he charged about £60???

Glad you got it back together, totally impressed with the ingenuity.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I think , if I ever do anything like this again , an ABBA style lift will be ordered first

Glad you got it sorted eventually mate

WRT stands, go for a Jonacol one coz the Abba stands go on the swingarm pivot!!! Not a fat lot of use

Ben
EggShellBlond

Post by EggShellBlond »

Stormin Ben wrote:

Glad you got it sorted eventually mate

WRT stands, go for a Jonacol one coz the Abba stands go on the swingarm pivot!!! Not a fat lot of use

Ben
Ahh , that makes sense then , 'cos I was thinking at the time " is this where a stand would go in ?? "

So does it use the large castle type nuts just above the swing arm ??

I seem to remember , the last time they got mentioned , there was a flurry of orders , but I didn't bother as I was sure I'd not have or want to use one

Might look up the contact details now
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Yep. Its two pins (with sharp points -ouch!!) that locate on the hole in the middle of the bolt.
If you need any pics or measurements (if you can't get hold of Jon) let me know

Ben