whats the difference?

General Biker Banter
callam_nffc

whats the difference?

Post by callam_nffc »

Car oil and bike oil..

is it really that different? What justifies the price difference?

castrol 10w40 for a car is like half the price, why?

I have known people using car oil in a bike, but I personally won't
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
Wicky

Re: whats the difference?

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Most non bike specific oils have a bunch of "energy conserving" additives in them, that the clutch most definetly dislikes... If there are no "energy conserving" sticker/badge, usually it's fine, but read the fineprint...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Good Read :thumbup:

What I have found from personal experience over the years is some oils let the bike rev more freely.
In the early years when I had my first litre bike I put some cheep car oil in and didn't think it made that much of a difference at the lower revs but the pick up was definitely slower and the top end, whilst still getting there was very lethargic.
More recently, I had a mechanic put some Rock (Bike specific) Oil in the bike instead of my usual Silkolene and noticed a vast difference straight away. Pick up greatly improved and much freer revving. Obviously, I can't attest to any of their lubricative powers or how long they will protect my baby but I can certainly feel the difference under backside.
From all the testing at least one thing remains true. It doesn't matter how you spend, if you're not changing your oil at regular intervals the extra cash isn't going to do you any good at all.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

Pete.L wrote:from all the testing at least one thing remains true. It doesn't matter how you spend, if you're not changing your oil at regular intervals the extra cash isn't going to do you any good at all.

Pete.l
agreed, I try and do mine every couple of thousand but I know lads who do it even more often than that
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv always just used car oils,at least in 4 strokes but I change it every 2k and haven't had a failure due to oil problems in the last 50 odd bikes.. race engines fair enough iv used bike oil but for the road I just keep changing it.

more than the type of oil id say more damage is done not changing oil and the worst offender is revving the crap outa cold engines :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: