manual cct's

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ebenviljoen

manual cct's

Post by ebenviljoen »

Morning chaps, got cct's fitted, started it and is a little noisy??!. Ive read that it will sound dufferent but wanna make sure its the right different. Bit of a clicking noise, both cylenders. The bike was perfect in time so didnt adjust sprockets/chain aand cable tied the to stop chain jumping. Also, play on chains are 5mm both up and down, so 10mm in total. Is that correct? Also running a tad rough and coughing. Not ridden it yet just started it up.
Wicky

Re: manual cct's

Post by Wicky »

Does the noise settle down once the bike has properly warmed up?

However 10mm total slack might be a be a tad loose.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=28583
10. You now want to tighten the threaded part of the tensioner down until you have between 5 - 7mm of up and down play from the outside edge of the cam chain between the two cam sprockets. It's a similar process to tightening the slack in your drive chain. I personally prefer to be on the slack side as it's going to put less stress and strain on engine components than if it's overtightened.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
ebenviljoen

Post by ebenviljoen »

Wicky wrote:Does the noise settle down once the bike has properly warmed up?

However 10mm total slack might be a be a tad loose.

10. You now want to tighten the threaded part of the tensioner down until you have between 5 - 7mm of up and down play from the outside edge of the cam chain between the two cam sprockets. It's a similar process to tightening the slack in your drive chain. I personally prefer to be on the slack side as it's going to put less stress and strain on engine components than if it's overtightened.
Havent got as far as letting it warm up completely, want to make sure its ok first! Lol. How much tota lslack would u recommend mate? Looking at the notes on here he says 5-7 of up and down, so i did 5mm up and 5mm down. Should it be 5-7 in total, saying if i pull it up as muxh i can then from that point i can push it down 5-7mm? :clap:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good Morning, have a look at this excellent guide, especially the video on the up an down movement of the cam chain :

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It looks like Wicky and I think alike.

Chris.
ebenviljoen

Post by ebenviljoen »

sirch345 wrote:It looks like Wicky and I think alike.

Chris.
Thanks mate, ill have a look. :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I have a feeling Ape used to recommend a setting between 6mm and 9.5mm but don't quote me on it.

Chris.
ebenviljoen

Post by ebenviljoen »

Watched the vid and my tension is spot on. The noise quits down but can hear it in high revs, sounds like dry hydraulic lifters on cars, a clicky noise. Will get used to it, just need to know its normal :D
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

ebenviljoen wrote:Watched the vid and my tension is spot on. The noise quits down but can hear it in high revs, sounds like dry hydraulic lifters on cars, a clicky noise. Will get used to it, just need to know its normal :D
if youve seen a vtr engine apart, you will see there are a lot of other chains inside the engine that do not have tensioners, ie the oil pump drive and ignition timing gear, with the advance rotor - these have little 6mm chains and at first glance they look extremely slack, yet they cant jump the sprockets!

this, as well as the clutch rattling about, is what most owners hear and worry about.

btw - tha APE tensioners - i had a set of these unwind on me so make sure you have used loctite on the adjuster bolt and done the locknut up superman tight - do not rely on the o ring or you will be in for a very nasty surprise. :Ball Kick:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
ebenviljoen

Post by ebenviljoen »

benny hedges wrote:
ebenviljoen wrote:Watched the vid and my tension is spot on. The noise quits down but can hear it in high revs, sounds like dry hydraulic lifters on cars, a clicky noise. Will get used to it, just need to know its normal :D
if youve seen a vtr engine apart, you will see there are a lot of other chains inside the engine that do not have tensioners, ie the oil pump drive and ignition timing gear, with the advance rotor - these have little 6mm chains and at first glance they look extremely slack, yet they cant jump the sprockets!

this, as well as the clutch rattling about, is what most owners hear and worry about.

btw - tha APE tensioners - i had a set of these unwind on me so make sure you have used loctite on the adjuster bolt and done the locknut up superman tight - do not rely on the o ring or you will be in for a very nasty surprise. :Ball Kick:
Thanks mate. Ive got coverten autos on with 2 lock nuts on,:no way its gunna come undone! Lol
its just a little noisier when riding now. Rather that than a broken engine!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Ape used to recommend a setting between 6mm and 9.5mm
Yeh but measured from where. This is the problem with a lot of instructions as they don't make it that clear. It could be 6mm from the outside edge or 9.5 from the centre of the link which would equate to 6mm from the outside edge if that makes sense. :eek2
play on chains are 5mm both up and down, so 10mm in total.
This sounds a little slack to me. Between 5 and 7 up and down from the outside edge and that's with a bit of resistance when push pulling.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside