There's more Anti-bikers in hot weather.

General Bike chat

There's more Anti-bikers in hot weather.

Post by Image »

Going down a dual-carriageway today as I do everyday to work and was behind a slow moving sherp van. It's one lane and between that and the opposite lane is broken chevrons (broken means you can cross them to overtake...I've checked) and as there was no traffic going the opposite way I began to overtake. He kept swerving out to block me. He did this several times making me brake while watching it in his wing mirror. In the end I just ragged it past him wide enough that he couldn't swerve and block me and when I'd passed him he blasted his horn and flashed his lights. No big problem, i've come across knobs like that many times but it made me think, why does it seem to happen more in hot weather? Frustration with the heat or maybe jealousy?
Jazzscot

Re: There's more Anti-bikers in hot weather.

Post by Jazzscot »

Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.

If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.
If the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency

Was it "necessary" for you to overtake?

No need for the van driver to be an butt though
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

He is probably just a wonker :Argue 1:

Post by Image »

He was doing 30 mph in a 70mph zone so yes it was necessary. Also I've checked it with the police and broken chevron the same rules as broken white lines (just wider) so yes you can overtake if it's within the speed limit. I work alongside a police superintendent all day every day so easy to ask things like that. My main question though was have others noticed more anti-bike manoeuvres like that in this hot weather?
Nickso

Post by Nickso »

I wouldn't trust a policeman to know the rules of the road. I regularly catch them out and let them know I have.

As posted above, rule 130, bad form to overtake on chevrons. Having said that I might have been tempted if he was going 30 in a 70.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yes I had a older chap in a nissan cube go ape at me for overtaking him yesterday .
I overtook him very wide and about 10mph faster and indicators on .
No hazards to be seen it was just a nice straight road .
He didn't recognise the bike or me but I did him as he works for the same company !
So when he go to work I had a chat with him with a ADI there .
He is now on a 2 day refresher course and I hope he will learn from it .

I also think the problem is all these sunny riders they get the bike out only on the nicest days and ride like Richard heads with no respect for anyone and some drivers tarnish is with the same brush
Virt

Post by Virt »

lloydie wrote: I also think the problem is all these sunny riders they get the bike out only on the nicest days and ride like Richard heads with no respect for anyone and some drivers tarnish is with the same brush
+1 to this..

Last weekend I took the hornet for a spin and got undertaken by a guy on a gsxr 1000 wearing shorts and t-shirts doing nigh on 100mph... He basically went between me and a car, and I had to swerve right cause otherwise I would have been hit by his mirror... Then he just turned around, gave me the finger, and carried on riding. He was then later spotted in my mates' village/town/thing doing about 60mph on his rear wheel down the main road..

It's a lot easier to remember 1 bad deed, than a million good deeds. For example, Bill Gates donates millions/billions to charities every single year.. The guy is like an angel, but he is responsible for the Windows OS and the bitch that is Visual Basic and so I hate him :thumbup: :lol:
And motorcyclists all get bunched up and treated as a single entity in the same way, I don't blame people for disliking us. I just hate them for being arseholes about it, there's about 5 people on this world that I can say I actually hate and even then I'd never make life difficult for them.. Just gotta be a mature adult about it?
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

There's Richard heads on the roads all the time. They just increase with the nice weather as there is generally more traffic.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

the sun brings out the worst in the car and bike drivers/riders [oh and all the bloody cyclists riding 3 abreast blocking the roads and all the farmers getting the hay and silage in] ............thats the reason I havent had my storm out in the spell of hot weather [not used it for 3 weeks!], its not worth it!!!!!!!

I think I will try and get out very early saturday morning to have a ride before the heat and the idiots get up
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

the sun brings out the worst in the car and bike drivers/riders [oh and all the bloody cyclists riding 3 abreast blocking the roads and all the farmers getting the hay and silage in] ...........
And more Plod. :roll:

==============================Enter the Darkside
Keith

Post by Keith »

It all comes down to the fact that Richard are Richard regardless of what they drive or ride. I often commute with both my bike and car and in this heat it just seems that everyone is more aggressive towards others regardless of what vehicle they use. The problem with car drivers trying to block motorcyclists especially in heavy traffic has always been there and on many occasions I have had run ins with them. It's funny how they suddenly shut up when they get confronted face to face by an irate 6'4" biker.
Respect goes both ways though and I treat others how they treat me. So if a car pulls over to make it easier for me to pass then I give a firendly wave to say thank you.
As far as overtaking on broken line chevrons it is totally legal but obviously common sense must be used. Read Rule 130 in the highway code. If it states if necessary then it is necessary if you want to overtake a vehicle. But also in Rule 130 for chevrons with a none broken line it states MUST NOT which basically means you are going to get nicked if you do it there unless its in an emergency.
The highway code is full of this stuff and you have to learn to read between the lines but don't take the pee. For example did you know that you can legally overtake vehicles on the zig zag coming up to a pedestrian crossing? But the thing is that you can't overtake the front vehicle of the que waiting at the stop line for the pedestrians to cross. For the ones that want to doubt that one then read Rule 165 :wink:

So in conclusion...Use respect when its given, use common sense, keep safe and watch out for the Richard who come in many disguises :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:There's Richard heads on the roads all the time. They just increase with the nice weather as there is generally more traffic.

I couldn't agree more, the standard of driving just seems to be getting worse.

Chris.
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Yes ..I agree m8 .. the amount of road traffic along with % of knobheads increases in fine weather
as all take advantage of the fine sunny weather to be out and about and one
has to be really carefull from all traffic ... even of fellow bikers as previously quoted ... blame the
sun in the solar sytem for increased rays . hey and increased thirsts but thats not a bad
thing .. :beer: dont mix the biking and the beer quoffing though :thumbup:
Alb
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

Driving standards are not as good. Years ago there were lots of traffic police now hardly any, In Derbyshire they are armed response now I think. Nottinghamshire doesnt have traffic either from what I was told. People had a chance of being caught driving badly or running a Red light now its cameras or nothing. Also I think less people have bike experience, when I left school nearly all the lads in my class had Fizzies, AP50's or scooters (Vespas) and by 20 years old a lot passed their bike tests, different story now.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Yes when its a hot day and there stuck in a box they get arsey especially when you filter past them,

you get the odd wonker edging the car to the right to stop you, sit along side and hold it on the rev limiter they soon move back when everyone else can see what they are doing

failing that you can mouth off just make sure you're bigger than the other guy and they're not in a position to bash your bike over
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033