The loud pipes argument

General Bike chat

The loud pipes argument

Post by Image »

Been reading some of the stuff written on the internet opposing the 'Loud Pipes Save Lives' rule. Most of it is by non-bikers and use the word 'myth' constantly. One of the main arguments they have is that most of the noise from a bikes exhaust goes behind the bike anyway and so makes no difference to warning vehicles ahead. But that also applies to any noise on any vehicle including the horn, most of it goes behind the vehicle at speed, but that doesn't mean that some of it doesn't go ahead of the vehicle because it does. I know this because when I ride a quiet bike I get cut up to wombles especially when filtering but on my storm it happens far less frequently. Well, that's my view on it anyway.
geodude

Re: The loud pipes argument

Post by geodude »

Image wrote:Been reading some of the stuff written on the internet opposing the 'Loud Pipes Save Lives' rule. Most of it is by non-bikers and use the word 'myth' constantly. One of the main arguments they have is that most of the noise from a bikes exhaust goes behind the bike anyway and so makes no difference to warning vehicles ahead. But that also applies to any noise on any vehicle including the horn, most of it goes behind the vehicle at speed, but that doesn't mean that some of it doesn't go ahead of the vehicle because it does. I know this because when I ride a quiet bike I get cut up to wombles especially when filtering but on my storm it happens far less frequently. Well, that's my view on it anyway.
You'll need to be travelling at 343.2 metres per second to get ahead of the sound a horn makes :lol:

I don't think loud pipes saves lives although on the T blipping the throttle when filtering make people look in their mirrors. This can have an adverse effect as people tend to go where they look so if they can't see you but hear you, they will be looking around for you and not concentrating so much on what's going on in front of them and may veer off course. Stealth is by far the better option as you can get by without being noticed. Having said that, I love my Akras!
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
Dr B1G

Post by Dr B1G »

I've always been a firm believer of the more noise the better, Every bike I've ever had has had a noisy pipe.
I don't abuse it though, like in the previous comment, a quick blip in traffic I think helps 8)

Post by Image »

I do a lot of filtering through motorway jams to and from work every day and have noticed a difference. The cars part when I filter through but on the kwak they don't. I also get cut up more onthe kwak. Not noticed any difference though with cars that pull out at junctions on smaller roads.
One of my colleagues says he can hear me coming long before I catch up to his car so that knocks the idea that bikes can't be heard from the front.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Pardon..speak up...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If they could not hear then there would not be a noticeable difference when you make some noise. I know what you mean about cars parting when filtering along but they are the already alert and responsible drivers. I often wonder how many of them are bikers too so obviously are more aware and give some space. Then you get the drivers that don't like having a bike behind them as it means they have to keep checking their mirrors which distracts them. Other drivers are just in their own little bubble and haven't got a clue and then you get the ones that purposely go out their way to make things difficult like in your other thread.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

I like the noise my bike makes and it does alert people you are approaching.
looking at this from a different angle I believe those bloody electric cars are dangerous cos you cant hear them coming . I swear they must be involved in more pedestrian accidents than proper cars .
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv a set of quills on mine and after riding the zx7r which was pretty quiet I have to say more people seem to notice me.. plus. good god what a lovely sound :D
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Keith

Post by Keith »

fabiostar wrote:iv a set of quills on mine and after riding the zx7r which was pretty quiet I have to say more people seem to notice me.. plus. good god what a lovely sound :D
I have a pair of Quills on mine too and they sound lovely....noisy maybe but they do sound good.

Keeping on topic, as I do a lot of commuting in heavy traffic I am really up for loud pipes as they work real well at letting traffic know where I am. Stealth works well out of town but in it loud is far safer and more people are aware of me when I blip the throttle to tell them I am here. Better than a horn any day. Also it does sound bloody good coming from a V-twin especially in tunnels and underpasses :biggrin
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

The ONLY people who say loud pipes don't save lives have never had their life saved by them.

It is easy to argue against something that A) annoys you B) you know nothing about

After 280,000 year round New York City miles (rain, snow, 4am etc). I can difinitively say that they do save you.

So does riding with your high beam on all the time.

Anything that gets you noticed can save you. Even while in my van I can hear loud bikes coming from way behind me so the sound in the wrong direction thing is the myth.

I can see pedestrian and cars (even cabs) noticing me where a quiet bike goes unnoticed.

So there you have it.

Loud pipes DO save lives, those who haven't learned this are not around to tell the tale.

Dont be one of those guys.
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
geodude

Post by geodude »

Smokinjoe73 wrote:The ONLY people who say loud pipes don't save lives have never had their life saved by them.
It is easy to argue against something that A) annoys you B) you know nothing about
Hmm. Interesting view.

a) Deaf people
b) Partially deaf people
c) People that zone out when driving (I've seen a fair few)
d) People with windows shut, air con on and stereo blasting
e) Truck driver with soundproofed cabs
f) Tractor drivers with ear defenders
g) any others I have missed?

The theory is sound as long as it's combined with good observation and positioning. There is no point revving your loud pipes when directly behind a truck who can't see you. You'd position yourself so you can see him in his mirrors. Only then will he see you. If he is a good driver and you position yourself well, you wouldn't need loud pipes and the not so good drivers I'd like to categorise in amongst the above. (see c and d)

I love loud pipes. Especially when, as mentioned above, riding through underpasses and tunnels. Those that have ridden behind me know this fact :twisted: Oh and the noise it makes wheelying is..... :clap: . I'd like to think I know a fair bit the impact noisy zorsts have on getting you noticed :thumbup:

I have no doubt that loud pipes help you to get noticed but there are much more fundamental and less aggressive ways of achieving the same result which also includes dealing with a to g above. (imho)
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
Virt

Post by Virt »

Smokinjoe73 wrote:The ONLY people who say loud pipes don't save lives have never had their life saved by them.

After 280,000 year round New York City miles (rain, snow, 4am etc). I can difinitively say that they do save you.

Anything that gets you noticed can save you. Even while in my van I can hear loud bikes coming from way behind me so the sound in the wrong direction thing is the myth.

I can see pedestrian and cars (even cabs) noticing me where a quiet bike goes unnoticed.

So there you have it.

Loud pipes DO save lives, those who haven't learned this are not around to tell the tale.

In the City it would be a different story to on the motorway(highway) or country roads..?

There are a lot of surfaces, such as buildings, the sound can bounce off and get around with. The car behind you will deflect some sound waves forward too. If you're on a quiet country road you don't have those luxurious..

That's where the argument comes from, me thinks. I think do whatever you want :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9505
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Dr B1G

Post by Dr B1G »

So there you have it.

I really do like this comment... So very true!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

geodude wrote: g) any others I have missed?
You forgot one George, mobile phone users :wink:
A driver couldn't possible be interrupted by a noisy bike when returning/sending a text message 8O :thumbdown:

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

sirch345 wrote:
geodude wrote: g) any others I have missed?
You forgot one George, mobile phone users :wink:
A driver couldn't possible be interrupted by a noisy bike when returning/sending a text message 8O :thumbdown:

Chris.
Unless I'm beside them then they get the full db of my exhaust .