Parking lot Bike down

General Bike chat
E.Marquez

Parking lot Bike down

Post by E.Marquez »

Figured you folks might like to see the 1 month journey from asshole knocking over my bike, to back on the road.

Saturday 15 Jun, my SH was knocked over in a parking lot.
Parked in the Killeen Texas mall parking lot by the Sears entrance, someone accidentally or purposely knocked my bike over and departed the scene. A witness, or at least a person that realized a bike leaning over at 45deg on cart return rack was not right alerted me (a guy wearing a red motorcycle jacket, riding boots and pants carrying a red helmet) . She asked if I was riding the red bike outside, I said yes and she said. “Someone just knocked your bike over” being all of 20 feet from the door I scooted out,,,to see what was up.. No one around bike leaning on cart rack.. turn around and lady is no place to be seen.
Pick up bike and damage to the faring is obvious,

tank dented,

mirror scratched,

fearing stay bent.

Called police, they responded in minutes to take a report… one stationed in the mall and one by car.. impressive for a non-injury accident in a privet property parking lot.. Well done KPD..
They reviewed the mall video, one fixed camera did not have a line of sight, the mobile one was pointed the other direction.
Determined to be either vandalism or accidental (playing on the shiny red bike?)
Comprehensive insurance by Progressive will somewhat cover the damage, started the claim today… Pretty simple so far, call, report claim, call back in minutes by initial claims person, to me contacted today by the “field” person.
$500 deductible is going to suck,, and the likelihood damage repair costs will exceed what they are willing to cover on a 1998 MY bike /.. NADA is about $2500 retail. Repair parts alone are in the range of $1200 best price online suppliers, $1900 using MSRP prices and will over all be somewhat less due to employee discounts at the local Honda dealer.
That does not include labor or paint work if needed.
Bummed is not even close to how I feel.
My wife tells me, she has seen a rash of bikes “knocked over” in parking lots the last few weeks, no visual or reasonable explanation.

So now we wait on an insurance adjuster..
With luck we can come to an agreement that does not reach total $$ and that pay out minus the deductible will cover parts costs.. labor is my own time/ expense.

Seems the Good Samaritan that helped pick the bike up, may have cracked the right fairing as well…

He either grabbed what looked like a nice “hand hold” and pulled out.. or pressed in with knee or leg cracking the faring.
I know that crack was not present just the day before when I washed the bike. Initial adjuster comments indicate they do not believe they will cover that damage as it likely cannot be “connected” to the event without a witness statement, which I do not have.. dude was just walking by and offered to help.
Last edited by E.Marquez on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
E.Marquez

Re: Parking lot Bike down

Post by E.Marquez »

In hind sight, though I parked in a “protected” spot… It was in a high foot traffic area… and so I traded safety from vehicle accidents for more likely to have “person” traffic accident.
The dealership my wife works at has seen an upswing on bikes that are found on the ground by owners when left in public spots (parking lots) the last few months.. Is it because the bikes are coming out of winter storage and this is just more bikes = more accidents?
Or is there some person/ group that is having fun knocking bikes over? Of course all of the local schools let out about the same time bikes started falling over when left unattended…. Coincidence?

Last edited by E.Marquez on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post event services

Total Rider
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

All in all not bad.
We had some heated discussion on what was a collision and what was comprehensive coverage in the beginning. Rep stated if there was no proof, witness ect it was a comprehensive event, then it would be considered collision, and as I'm not covered on that, there might not be a claim.

The "management" would need to decide. I said ok,.. showed a copy of the policy that stated what a collision definition was and the policy language that stated what kinds of events were covered under my paid for comp coverage... she started with "Texas law says if it is not provable to NOT BE a collision, then that is what it is a collision..:miffed:.. I asked her to go talk to her manager on the phone, and come back with a decision, and please be ready to cite the Texas law that states that, and an explanation of why the policy text stating in part
"INSURING AGREEMENT - COMPREHENSIVE COVERAGE
If you pay the premium for this coverage, we will pay for sudden, direct, and accidental loss to a covered motorcycle or a non-owned motorcycle that is not caused by collision.
A loss not caused by collision includes:
1. contact with an animal (including a bird);
2. explosion or earthquake;
3. fire;
4. malicious mischief or vandalism;
5. missiles or falling objects;
6. riot or civil commotion;
7. theft or larceny; or
8. windstorm, hail, water, or flood." "
Did not cover what the police report is calling an act of vandalism.

10 min later I was told, it's all good sorry for the confusion, but we are covering this claim under your Comp coverage :argh:
All damage covered outright but the faring stay.. it is a $250 item and not obviously bent.. until I get new plastics on it, with holes that do not line up I can not "prove"it is bent. But was told, a supplemental claim is as easy as taking a pic of the misalignment and a check will be cut immediately for the extra damage.

Minus my $500 deductible on the Comp policy I received a check immediately an amount much more then I thought they would cover without wanting to total the bike. Ok, so yes, Im impressed at this point.

The agent and i spoke at ease the rest of the way, she apologized for phrasing the early parts in a way that made me think they were looking for a way to deny the claim. I guess a significant portion of the Comp claims they get are from folks that have had a accident (moving , ie crash) and then try and claim it under comp.... the drag, scratch, gouging ,marks make it pretty obvious the bike did not just fall over (for what ever reason) while standing still.
So I guess if you have one fall out of a trailer at speed (a comp claim under my policy) you bets be able to prove with witnesses, police report ect, that it was NOT a collision..(ie crash)
Post event services

Total Rider
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

The adjuster would not cover the right fairing... That is reasonable. I know it was caused by the "helper" but I can see it being difficult to connect.

She also would not cover the fairing stay as it is not obviously bent.. BUT she said if once removed it is bent, or shown to be bent upon replacing the plastic a simple picture is all I need and they will do a supplemental claim, check cut that day :D

The amount paid will cover two new fairing sides, tank replacement, Mirror and exhaust will be repaired in house.
Post event services

Total Rider
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Claim check deposited.
New left and right fairing ordered, be here wed next week.
Left rear muffler mount/peg replaced with a like new one I had on hand.
Left muffler straightened at the tube (very slight tweak that bent right out)
Metal arm on the left mirror painted last night...all better

That leaves the tank...... decisions, decisions, decisions....
Post event services

Total Rider
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Fairing stay is bent.............damn it

Sitting on some machinist parallels

Bent inward about .25"

Supplemental insurance claim made today. approved in 30 min. Check cut, in mail Monday morning Im told.

So ordered a new one today as well. That's another $173 in parts
Post event services

Total Rider
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Insurance agent just called....Supplemental claim for the bent fairing stay.........................................approved.. Check just went in the mail this morning....:D
Post event services

Total Rider
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

And the bad news is, the recommended paint shop wants almost $500 to strip, repair the small dent (no filler) prime, paint, decal, clear coat this tank.

Used tanks are $250-350 shipped and come with flaws (minor, .. not bad for a 10-14 year old tank, but there none the less)

New tank is $580.23 out the door.
Or
Just deal with it as is.. My bike runs around with a tank bag on all the time anyway.

If i go to sell the bike someday, no one is going to pay $500 more for it having a flawless tank, or significantly less then the rock bottom price these bikes ell for , it having a used tank with a very minor dent.

Decision, decision, decisions.
Post event services

Total Rider
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Fairing stay and left fairing came in.. right fairing went on back order the day I ordered it..
BUT an interesting thing.. the parts manager did some checking... more right side fairings are set for "release" on the 29th of June.

In other words there are still factory parts available at the Honda warehouse distributor level. It may take a few days to get an order processed, sent through mid level distro points to get parts moved from the main storage locations.. but the OEM parts are still out there.

Contrary to what some on this forum have been told at the local dealer level.

With my forks off to Jamie at Daugherty Motorsports for a build, Im in no hurry for the fairing today....I'll get worked up again next week with anticipation. :eek:
Post event services

Total Rider
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Got bored today.. no forks yet.... so no real reason to work on the bike... but had some spare time and it's too hot to do yard work...

Faring dissection, some cleaning ..... and now time to put it back together.
Post event services

Total Rider
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

1 month later ...... Shes back

Fresh tires
New hydraulic front brake switch
New Sergeant Seat
Fairings L&R
Fairing Stay
Repaired left rear foot peg/Ex mount
Fresh Graphics on the seat cowl
Post event services

Total Rider
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

sorry to hear your news buddy, looks like it turned out ok except for the excess. have you got protected no claims, not sure its called that in the usa tho. maybe you should hunt out a 19ltr tank from europe... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

agentpineapple wrote:sorry to hear your news buddy, looks like it turned out ok except for the excess. have you got protected no claims, not sure its called that in the usa tho. maybe you should hunt out a 19ltr tank from europe... :thumbup:
I ran this though Google translator, and it came back ...
"Error, No US translation available at this time... Have a Pint, and reload for new opinion"
:biggrin
Excess
= the amount I had to pay as part of the claim? If so, yes a pity, but as I do all my own work and got parts at dealer cost thanks to my wife...What was paid on the claim was well over an above repair costs using brand new Honda parts. :clap:
Protected no claims
= Insurance will not go up???? If so, we will see.. But in most cases as it was not my fault,, no my insurance will not go up...
I just had a $5,000 claim on out 2007 Shelby Mustang.... no increase afterwards.

And you don't want to know how little I pay for full coverage.. I've seen the numbers on insurance there in the UK..... Id just cry in my beer if I had to pay that much.
Post event services

Total Rider
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I ran this though Google translator, and it came back ...

"Error, No US translation available at this time... Have a Pint, and reload for new opinion"
:lol: :lol:

Well I know how you feel. I once had my bike purposely rammed into and knocked over. I witnessed it myself, went chasing them but they where in a car and got away. :evil:

It does help when we can do the repairs ourselves though. At least we know it's done properly then. Your bike is looking as good as new. No need for polish but you could always get the wax out and stroke it. :)

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside