noise after doing mccts

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Damon777

noise after doing mccts

Post by Damon777 »

Morning all, have just replaced ccts with Bazzas mccts. Followed the guide on here which was great. Now become very sensative to every engine noise ! I do have a slight noise which sounds like top end rattle/tick. I read in the guide that the engine will sound different, is this the usual sort of noise after installing mccts ?
Also while I am here can anyone recommend a replacement airfilter on just stick to the standard one?

Many thanks Damon
Brian 99 firestorm

Re: noise after doing mccts

Post by Brian 99 firestorm »

Hi Damon.
Usualy with mcct, if they are not adjusted correctly, they will give a chatter noise from the chain if they are not tight enough or give a wining noise if they are too tight. Safest is to pop off the tappet cover and check for chain slack. Can you distinguish whether the noise comes from the front or rear? The storms dont like running high flow air filters without a jet kit, so if your not doing a jet kit, keep to the stock filter. Hope this helps...
1999 Firestorm. Spec A carbon fibre cans, wavy discs, six pot calipers, 4 degree advancer, DNA filter, stage 1 dyno jet kit, rear sets, etc, etc.
Damon777

Post by Damon777 »

Thanks for the info, just given it a ride and the noise has gone now after its nice n warm. Will stick to the stock air filter then as I don't need any more horses! :lol:

Cheers :beer:
ebenviljoen

Post by ebenviljoen »

I had the same problem and noticed that the chain was to slack on bith. You need a total slack of 5-7mm and not 5-7 each way. Mistake i made. Mines quiet now even when cold with 5mm total slack.i have just fitted a pipercross with dynojet kit. Lots of fiddling sbout and with good support from.cybercarl got it right. Will do a dynorun soon and post with my setup. Had my carbs off about 10 times but worth it. Sounds a bit better and way more responsive. There are loads of posts on here with setups with different setups. Great help with understanding filter setup. Pipercross i think has the most air delivery. Sounds quality too.
Last edited by ebenviljoen on Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

just given it a ride and the noise has gone now after its nice n warm
Sounds to me that you have done a good job. :thumbup: It's the whole thing of getting used to the slight different engine noises from making changes. As long as it's gone when at running temp then you good.

As for airfilter, your best to stick with the standard. Yes you can use aftermarket higher flow filters but they will take some dyno time to get right and even then you will only possibly gain a couple of horses top end. Not worth all the hassle IMO unless you have a heavily modded engine or enjoy taking carbs on and off.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I had the same problem and noticed that the chain was to slack on bith. You need a total slack of 5-7mm and not 5-7 each way. Mistake i made. Mines quiet now even when cold with 5mm total slack.
Thanks to you I have now re-iterated in the instructions that it a total of 5 -7 mm from the one side of the chain. I thought I made it pretty clear along with the video's, but after reading it I can see how the up and down movement can be misunderstood. It's not easy to explain in words hence the reason I also added video's to show. :thumbup:

ebenviljoen

Post by ebenviljoen »

cybercarl wrote:
I had the same problem and noticed that the chain was to slack on bith. You need a total slack of 5-7mm and not 5-7 each way. Mistake i made. Mines quiet now even when cold with 5mm total slack.
Thanks to you I have now re-iterated in the instructions that it a total of 5 -7 mm from the one side of the chain. I thought I made it pretty clear along with the video's, but after reading it I can see how the up and down movement can be misunderstood. It's not easy to explain in words hence the reason I also added video's to show. :thumbup:

Well to be honest mate it was my own stupidity too. I couldnt load the video as i only have internet on my phone at the minute. When you watch it it is pretty clear. Anyway thanx for all your posts and help and advise on the forum. Youve saved me a heap of cash and time :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

No worries, I wasn't suggesting it was your fault. It's just that things can get misinterpreted if not explained clearly enough. It's only from practical use that I know if I have explained things clearly enough and the guide is straight forward enough for new users to follow. I can then amend things if not, so I thank you for your input.

Damon777

Post by Damon777 »

I had 6mm in total of slack on the chain so should be fine. Although if you flex the chain to much when measuring you can get a cam to move slightly giving you even more slack when you measure so need to be careful. Will keep listening out to make sure its quite when warm. Will stick to the standard air filter cheers.
Many thanks Damon :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Damon777 wrote:I had 6mm in total of slack on the chain so should be fine. Although if you flex the chain to much when measuring you can get a cam to move slightly giving you even more slack when you measure so need to be careful. Will keep listening out to make sure its quite when warm. Will stick to the standard air filter cheers.
Many thanks Damon :thumbup:
You were bolting the caps down with three of the four bolts, just leaving the ones that hold the chain guide out, weren't you?
The missing fourth bolt has no effect on the way the cams sit in their journals, so it's easy to measure the chain tension that way. There shouldn't be any cam movement up and down at all....
If you meant that the cams revolve slightly in their journals, yes, they'll do that, and you should let them do this to get a true up and down deflection reading.
Holding the cams still will make the reading false.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Damon777

Post by Damon777 »

Yes Tony the cam did revolve slightly so I did not include this in my measurement . So may have slightly more slack then I need ?