Carb float valves sticking??

General Bike chat
superhawk996xx

Carb float valves sticking??

Post by superhawk996xx »

OK, I need someone advice that has disassembled their carbs before. I bought new carb float valves and jets for my VTR due to the fact of excessive engine flooding that would require an oil change EVERYTIME. After taking my carbs apart, and replacing the jets, and float valves I noticed one of my float valves excessively rubs the sides of the brass pressed in sleeve on the carb itself. It has rubbed it so bad, that it does not want to let the float operate freely. Has anyone else experienced this problem if so, how do I correct it? :confused
Smokinjoe73

Re: Carb float valves sticking??

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

So did the damage happen before or after you did the fiddling? It sounds like it was not installed correctly. Do you have pics to help?
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Well it sounds like you have 2 options at this point.

Either replace the carb or contact Sudco http://www.sudco.com/ and see if it is a part they can get for you though you would have to figure out how to remove the old one and press in the new bit. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
superhawk996xx

Post by superhawk996xx »

HAWK! Man, I tried to message because I knew you would know something about this. No, When I opened the carb bowl up I discovered all this. Also, in the rear carb there was alot of residue, kind of like sand but sticky. Any idea what it could be? I will take some pics of my brass insert to show you guys. I was thinking prehaps taking some emory cloth and knocking off the burrs to see if the float valve will work alittle better. After just cleaning it alone I noticed the valve working better.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

My first guess would be that the bike was run without the foam sub-filters.

If you can get it cleaned up enough for the valve to move freely then you should be ok as the important bit is where the rubber tip seats. :wink:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
superhawk996xx

Post by superhawk996xx »

Yea, it was. The filter degraded and it never occured to me to replace them until recently. Would dirt and trash gotten into the fuel via the tubes where the filter are suppose to have been. I did order some when I ordered all my other parts as well being they are gone. I have kind of neglicted this bike for the past few years. I have had it going on 11 :/
superhawk996xx

Post by superhawk996xx »

Ok, status update. I took some emory cloth and lightly rubbed the burrs off the brass sleeve. Took some carb cleaner on a cotton swab and cleaned it out really good. float and float valve are working like a champ. I only ordered the pilot and main jets, float valves and fuel bowl o rings due to both of the were cracked really bad. The floats are fine. The emulsion tube in the carb that was really bad is another story. It has gunk all in it. What do you use to clean it out? I soaked it in carb cleaner and the only thing I could get down it in was the straw to the carb cleaner. Also, being I am staying with the stock jet due to the fact NO engine mods have been done on this thing, do you think I am going to have to resync the carbs? I bought the booster joint just in case but I want to do it with a vacuum gauge if I have to.