Puncture Repair Paranoia

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
pmcq

Puncture Repair Paranoia

Post by pmcq »

Hello All,

Just had a puncture and repaired it with myself with some sticky strings using a puncture repair kit.. seems to be holding the air in :-) ..... Now I'm sure it will be fine and I've done some driving on it, but I find myself going a bit easier on the bike due to that damn brain of mine thinking ....'well if I am doing 100mph and that thing pops out...well.... ' :-) A bit like that blasted cct paranoia :-)

Anybody had any bad experiences with tyre plugs? A new tyre is a good bit off so it will be a while before I replace it.

Any comments?

Cheers!
pmcq
Druid

Post by Druid »

If it's a DIY repair then I'd be taking it a bit easy. Get to your local bike shop and have them do a proper vulcanised repair, using one of those mushroom shaped patches from inside the tyre.

Proper repairs will last for the life of the tyre.
“I don’t want to live in a society where some do gooder thinks my safety is more important than my freedom” – Richard Rutan
droid

Post by droid »

I agree with Druid.
Costs about 15 squids this side of the water, then OK to the full speed rating.

Nice sig Druid, BTW

Droid
monomaster

Post by monomaster »

I used one (tyre plug) a while ago at a track day... (I mean who picks up a bloody nail in their tyre on the track??? But thats another story..),

I thought "great there goes my bloody track riding for the day" until some guy offers me his tyre repair kit. Well I bunged it in myself, having never done it before, filled the sucker up with air & head out on the track again with much trepidation...

The plug held up well under the extremes of track use & lost no air at all over the 5 remaining sessions (15 laps each)..I was so impressed, I left the tyre on the bike after the track day until the tread was worn enough to justify replacement naturally.

Of course, how well the plug was put in in the first place would make a difference (I must have jagged it)..& the quality of the repair kit to begin with...but in the end, the worst you could expect is a gradual decrease in tyre pressure...so if you keep checking the pressure (more often than usual) you should be OK!
Happiness is a 200kph mono past a Catholic Schoolgirl excursion
t00lkit

Flat

Post by t00lkit »

pcmq

Repair has to be done from the inside for the tyre to be 'repaired'.

Doing it from the outside is only a temp measure.

No point in asking for problems when you rely on two wheels.

If it were me, i'd fix it or swap it.

you know it makes sense
t00lkit
T00lkit
Red F2, Scorpion Race Cans, Nuvo Airflow Screen, GSG Moko Crash Protectors, Carbon Hugger by Del, Scottoiler.