43 Tooth rear Sprocket

General Biker Banter
8541Hawk

Re: 43 Tooth rear Sprocket

Post by 8541Hawk »

Well I will say the reply did sound a bit like a personal attack not a technical discussion.

So with that all I will add is I did run a 43T rear sprocket for around 7 years, so yes I am quite familiar with how it works.....and yes I have owned my VTR for 16yrs now.....

I still stand behind all that I wrote in my first post and my reasons why I have the opinions that I do.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

cheekykev wrote:I'm one down at the front and two up at rear, it's great fun :Shock1:
Or you can just downshift one gear with the stock ratio and have the same thing :wink:

Run the numbers and you will see that by running -1 front and +2 in the rear all you have done is turn your 2nd into 1st on a stock geared bike
This follows through in all the gears (use the gearing commander to make it easy to see)
So with that gearing all you really do is make the bike a 5 speed as 1st is too low to actually use and your 2nd through 6th carry the same (or close enough to be called the same) final drive ratios as a stock geared bike in 1st through 5th.

So it make no sense to me to gear the bike that low.

Like I stated in my first post, going any lower the +2 (or -1 on the front) doesn't get you anything.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Keith

Post by Keith »

If I choose to mess around with sprocket sizes I run it through the gearing commander website. If some of you have never heard of it then here is the link...
http://www.gearingcommander.com/.
You just need to put in the bike info and then it will find the standard gearing on its database along with other possibilities. The firestorm is listed so can be very useful.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

8541Hawk wrote:Well I will say the reply did sound a bit like a personal attack not a technical discussion.

So with that all I will add is I did run a 43T rear sprocket for around 7 years, so yes I am quite familiar with how it works.....and yes I have owned my VTR for 16yrs now.....

I still stand behind all that I wrote in my first post and my reasons why I have the opinions that I do.
cant knock a man for that!!! keep riding safe,fast and on the tyres1
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!