show us your (bike) helmet

General Biker Banter
tony.mon

Re: show us your (bike) helmet

Post by tony.mon »

Jamoi wrote:I tried a HJC carbon on last week as I think they're one of the best looking lids I've seen in a while... Upset now though, as it really didn't fit :(
That's what I run, got one when they first came out.
They leave a line on my face as the seal around the eyes presses against the skin, but comfy enough.
I had to put the breathguard in, though, as they let a lot of air upwards from the chinbar up to my eyes and makes them water.

Spares aren't easy to get, but the importer is very helpful.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Image The one i mainly use :thumbup: , on my head that is :twisted:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Tony, to be honest, for the price I was tempted just so I can wear it on short trips & ogle at the lovely gloss carbon finish while it's laying about at home. Maybe I'll treat myself before they all disappear.
Jamie :wave:
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

Current Roof:

(Yes, I'm not on 'Stormy, but it matches)

I crash tested my last one - the shock of impact was hard enough to give me a black eye, and lose 2 teeth....

A lucky escape!

=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

=====================================================
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

just catching up here

what's the deal with life of a helmet? A mate once said you should replace them every four years or so - is that correct??

Al - if you read this wht speakers and set up have you got in the lounge??
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

BigVeeGrin wrote:
what's the deal with life of a helmet? A mate once said you should replace them every four years or so - is that correct??

Al - if you read this wht speakers and set up have you got in the lounge??
Some people will argue this one but IMO they do have a shelf life to a max of 5 years IIRC.
The inner shell will start to break down & pull away from the shell. * & **

It depends on how often you use it as well, if it's daily worn then the linings will take more of a bashing, if it starts to become to loose on your head, then it's time for a new one.

Any single drop or hard knock will mean you should replace it.

In an accident the inner shell absorbs the shock & in doing so pulls away from the outer shell. So next time it gets a shock it passes straight through & isn't absorbed as much.

*I had a nicely painted Arai helmet from about '89, it was not used much when new & spent from about 1990 till 2001 in a helmet bag in a cupboard so not in direct sunlight, I was going to use it again but on inspection the soft foam head lining had disintegrated. This made me wary of what else could have degraded so it went in the skip !

** Carl will be along shortly to tell you this is a conspiracy by the helmet manufactures to make you by more helmets! Don't believe it for a second...the tin foil won't do a lot at 70mph... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

No I'm staying out of this. It's for the forum health and safety officer to answer. :lol: But what I will say is that expanding foam does deteriorate with time depending on the quality and whether it has other properties added to it to help prevent this.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

BVG, speakers are mission 780se on mission stands which are on spikes through to the concrete floor
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

My new visor on my new Shoei! Not decided on the mirror effect yet. I've got a smoked & clear if I change my mind.
ging500

Post by ging500 »

cybercarl wrote:No I'm staying out of this. It's for the forum health and safety officer to answer. :lol: But what I will say is that expanding foam does deteriorate with time depending on the quality and whether it has other properties added to it to help prevent this.

Crash helmets do have a life. This down to the out shell construction.

Off the top of my head (no pun intended) poly carbonated have a 2 or three year life. Multi composite have a 5 year life and carbon fibre is unlimited. As has been mentioned a degree of common sense needs to apply.

If you crash throw it away. Don't let anybody else use it as the internal adapt to there head compromising protection.

The outer shells degrade with uv light. Every crash helmet is dated so you know how lo g you have had it.

From my personal opinion, having a crash helmet for three years, your itching to replace it. Firstly using it everyday they get battered, worn and a bit smelly. Secondly you just want a new design/.make of crash helmet.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

cybercarl wrote:No I'm staying out of this. It's for the forum health and safety officer to answer. :lol: But what I will say is that expanding foam does deteriorate with time depending on the quality and whether it has other properties added to it to help prevent this.

Make your mind up Carl ...staying out or changing your mind mid post... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
FireSpook

Post by FireSpook »

This is me last year at the Isle of Man TT on me '88 VFR750 "Claudia." She was repainted in American Interceptor HRC racing scheme for this year. Next year, Jessica the 'Storm will be attending!

This lid raised more than a few chuckles...never take yourself too seriously!! :biggrin
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

That's brilliant! :lol:

Must keep your head nice and warm!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

That's how Lloydie looks without his helmet on!!!!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF