weird noise!!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Theodio

weird noise!!!

Post by Theodio »

Good morning!!

I'm having a problem with my VTR. Sometimes at 1400-2000 rpm WEIRD TICKING- LIKE bad bearing noise sounds, especially when cold. When it warms up (normal middle reading) it disappears, except some times when i stop at idle. I heard about CCT's but it supposed to do it in all rpm. I don't know what it is. Before 1000 km i changed clutch discs at a local Honda dealer if it helps.

Regards
Wicky

Re: weird noise!!!

Post by Wicky »

One way to try and locate source of noises is to use a big screwdriver placed against your ear and against the engine to help narrow down the area.

When were valve clearances last done? Have you checked for airleaks in the exhaust system i.e header/ink pipe area?

[youtube][/youtube]
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Theodio

Post by Theodio »

Thanks for the reply!
I must mention that I bought the bike in mid conditions needing some servicing to be done! So, for starters, i went to Honda service and did these:
-oil + oil filter change (Honda 10w30(!))
-engine valves adjustment (didn't apply new flange just the old one with sealant (ok))
-clutch discs changed
-K&N air filter clean
-carburator sychronization only (not cleaning neither pilot screw adj)

WHen I picked up my bike from the Honda dealer i noticed that sound but very mild. In the meantime

The bike was backfiring (exhaust & carb) like hell! I went to another moto workshop to change sprockets and drivechain and he told me that the bike was backfiring because of a tube that was unplugged under the fuel tank! The backfire stopped a little and the performance improved and the Decibel level went down!! much quieter and smoother!! The guy told also that I was working 1 1/2 cylinder and now its working fine due the tube! BUT the noise level increased!!! Just I described!

I suspected valve clearance because the Honda guy told me "Yeah we'll do that the motor is the same to Varaero"!
SH*T after I realized that the engines are different!!

PLEASE HELP!!! :wave: :confused
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good Morning Theodio,

First of all do not panic, the Honda XL1000V Varadero does have the same engine more or less, but a slightly detuned version (plus some other small modifications). So the valve clearance adjustments will be the same process.

Could you post up a video so we could hear what the noise sounds like, it may help,

Chris.
Theodio

Post by Theodio »

Will do! Thanks again!!! 8)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

-K&N air filter clean
Unless the carbs have been tuned to run with the K&N then it will run poorly as the storm is very sensitive to mods in that area. You might want to try an run a standard filter.

The VTR1000F Honda service manual with all specs and procedures is available as a downloadable & searchable PDF in the workshop knowledgebase.

Sounds like you need to go over the bike thoroughly yourself as its the only way to be sure the work done by mechanics has been done properly.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Sounds like you need to go over the bike thoroughly yourself as its the only way to be sure the work done by mechanics has been done properly.
+1
I heard about CCT's but it supposed to do it in all rpm.
Not necessarily, things expand as the engine warms up so noises can quieten down. Either way it's a good idea to get these sorted whether that be manual tensioners (link for install guide in my signature) or you go with the Stop mod which is a fail safe for auto tensioners.
http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19416
Either can save you expensive repairs in the future if either of the ones you currently have fail.

There's a good chance this could be where the problem is especially as your don't know the history of the current CCT's and there's a good chance they would have been removed to do the valve clearances which could have weakened them as your only noticing this noise since the work was done. Like Sirch said post a vid so we can listen and maybe pinpoint where the noise is likely coming from.
(didn't apply new flange just the old one with sealant (ok))
Are you referring to a CCT here :confused

Don't worry about a bit of popping and banging for now that can be sorted later. The vacuum tube under the fuel tank would have been a major culprit here and the bike must have been running awful. It's good that the valve clearances have been done beforehand but any more popping and banging from either the carbs or exhaust will be down to any leaks in the system as wicky mentioned and/or fine tuning.

One more thing you may want to check is if the noise is coming from the clutch. Does the noise quieten down when you pull the clutch lever in. If so then this is normal.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Theodio

Post by Theodio »

Hey guys!

As flange, (sorry) I mean the head gaskets! Is there a way to adjust the CCT's w/o changing them??? With the stoper??
Either way it's a good idea to get these sorted whether that be manual tensioners (link for install guide in my signature) or you go with the Stop mod which is a fail safe for auto tensioners.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19416
Either can save you expensive repairs in the future if either of the ones you currently have fail.
Theodio

Post by Theodio »

I forgot! The noise does not come up from the clutch. Despite that when she's been warmed up the noise for a range between (1400-1900) rpm she makes that damn noise. I'll post a video in abt an hour and a half when i'll finish work.

I hope me beauty is fine and the problem will be spotted and fixed!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Standard Honda CCTs are automatically adjusting. Manual CCTs are fixed but manually adjustable. Stopper mod adds a 'stopper' piece of metal into a standard CCT which stops the tensioner failing and fully backing out when a spring invariably breaks & fails. The only way to adjust the tension of CCTs is to add manual tensioners > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720

Its a job you need to make a priority to ensure reliability but auto CCTs are binary - they either work fine or they fail catastrophically...

[youtube][/youtube]

darkember

Post by darkember »

Wicky wrote:Standard Honda CCTs are automatically adjusting. Manual CCTs are fixed but manually adjustable. Stopper mod adds a 'stopper' piece of metal into a standard CCT which stops the tensioner failing and fully backing out when a spring invariably breaks & fails. The only way to adjust the tension of CCTs is to add manual tensioners > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720

Its a job you need to make a priority to ensure reliability but auto CCTs are binary - they either work fine or they fail catastrophically...

[youtube][/youtube]
Sh1t that is noisy.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Theodio wrote:I forgot! The noise does not come up from the clutch. Despite that when she's been warmed up the noise for a range between (1400-1900) rpm she makes that damn noise. I'll post a video in abt an hour and a half when i'll finish work.

Noises on the net can be a bit tough to figure out but let me ask you this, is it a kind of "hollow" "clacking" sound?

If so it could be the front carb slide bouncing around as the RPMs you list are where this normally happens.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Theodio

Post by Theodio »

Good day guys!

The moment of truth. This is the video! Kindly NOTICE some tic-tic-tic sound comes out of the engine normal sound! I've recorded it by my phone, close to the engine.
Here it is:
[youtube][/youtube]
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

Theodio wrote:Good day guys!

The moment of truth. This is the video! Kindly NOTICE some tic-tic-tic sound comes out of the engine normal sound! I've recorded it by my phone, close to the engine.
Here it is:
[youtube][/youtube]
Yes, that sounds very similar to mine, although it's not as bad as mine...
When I get a chance I'll record it and post it here.
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

8541Hawk wrote:
Theodio wrote:I forgot! The noise does not come up from the clutch. Despite that when she's been warmed up the noise for a range between (1400-1900) rpm she makes that damn noise. I'll post a video in abt an hour and a half when i'll finish work.

Noises on the net can be a bit tough to figure out but let me ask you this, is it a kind of "hollow" "clacking" sound?

If so it could be the front carb slide bouncing around as the RPMs you list are where this normally happens.
Please, tell us more on this!
I've been involved in another thread about what I think is the same problem: http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 29#p133722

What causes the carb slide to bounce around, and how can it be proved/cured?
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!