More strange noises

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
balls

More strange noises

Post by balls »

My storm
is making a weird sound its intermitant but sounds like a playing card stuck in the spokes of a bicycle its not there at tickover and the bike is going very well ccts have been moded with a stopper (many thanks Chris) so I have no idea what it could be seems to be from the front of the bike .
I know I have a blowing exaust somwhere but I cant find that , apart from some glases and a hearing aid anybody got a idea what it might be :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Last edited by balls on Mon May 24, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giddsy

Re: More strange noises

Post by Giddsy »

Could it be a clutch rattle? Does the sound go when you pull the clutch in? If so then it is and nothing to worry about...
balls

Post by balls »

That rattles as well but nothing like this its quite loud does not do it at very low revs nothing at tickover no noise when cold but only after 5 minites of running it kicks in I thought the front cct had gone but if it had it would be noisy all the time.
If i pull the clutch in it disapears once I let it out again it takes about 15 seconds before it comes back again :thumbdown:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Even if you have the stopper in your CCT's' springs can still fail.
Try the screwdriver test for tension.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
balls

Post by balls »

Could you tell me how that is done :?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Take off tank, airbox.
Then you can see the front CCT.
The rear one you can see anyway.

Take out the little 8mm CCT end cap bolts, with the rear one a small amount of oil will run out, so put a rag there to soak it up.

Now use a tiny electrical screwdriver to probe in each CCT, inside you'll feel a slot that the screwdriver fits into.
By turning it one way you'll feel resistance, the other way should turn against spring pressure.
Don't unscrew it far, a 1/4 turn is enough to feel whether the spring's still intact.
If one spring has gone you'll be able to feel that there's no spring pressure, most likely the front one.

If there's no spring pressure on one or both then don't start the bike, you're likely to have catastrophic valve/piston damage pretty soon, no matter whether you treat it gently or not.

HTH,
Tony
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
vasile.cristian

Post by vasile.cristian »

balls wrote:My storm
is making a weird sound its intermitant but sounds like a playing card stuck in the spokes of a bicycle its not there at tickover and the bike is going very well ccts have been moded with a stopper (many thanks Chris) so I have no idea what it could be seems to be from the front of the bike .
I know I have a blowing exaust somwhere but I cant find that , apart from some glases and a hearing aid anybody got a idea what it might be :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Hello,

I am new here. This forum helped me a lot. Than you all.
I have a VTR1000 firestorm. Last week I have changed the standard CCT to stopper mode. The bike runs fine. But some times , only at idle, a strange new sound comes from the front piston near the CCT. This sound stops for ~5sec and come again for ~4sec . The bike does not have this sound before this modification (aka stopper mod).

What can be the cause of this sound ?
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

I know exactly that noise (like a playing card stuck in the spokes) - I get it also.
It comes and goes, along with a couple of other strange sounds.
Sometimes it sounds like the exhaust is leaking at the cylinder head - a mild "popping" noise.
And sometimes it sounds like something metal is loose - as though it were a loose camchain.

None of these noises occur at the same time, and sometimes they're not there at all.
It usually only happens when under load (not when coasting) - but not exclusively, it rarely happens when in neutral - whether the clutch is in or out.
I've got Honda CCT's with the stopper mod fitted, and I've checked that they're still intact using the screwdriver method.

It doesn't seem to affect performance at all, and doesn't seem to be affected by engine temperature.

I'm wondering if it could be a broken valve spring?

It's doing my head in - big time!
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

bandsawman wrote:I know exactly that noise (like a playing card stuck in the spokes) - I get it also.
It comes and goes, along with a couple of other strange sounds.
Sometimes it sounds like the exhaust is leaking at the cylinder head - a mild "popping" noise.
And sometimes it sounds like something metal is loose - as though it were a loose camchain.

None of these noises occur at the same time, and sometimes they're not there at all.
It usually only happens when under load (not when coasting) - but not exclusively, it rarely happens when in neutral - whether the clutch is in or out.
I've got Honda CCT's with the stopper mod fitted, and I've checked that they're still intact using the screwdriver method.

It doesn't seem to affect performance at all, and doesn't seem to be affected by engine temperature.

I'm wondering if it could be a broken valve spring?

It's doing my head in - big time!
Follow-up:

The fault has now developed further - the noise has changed and has become much more consistent.
When it's ticking over, if I increase the revs ever so slightly the noise starts. Take it a bit further and it goes. It will do this for a short while only, then disappears. It will only start doing it again after it's been run a bit quicker.

Earlier this morning I read another thread about a very similar noise - and it's been suggested in that thread that it could be the front carb slide rattling. This seems to me to be very feasible in my case, as it does it whether the clutch is in or out, in gear or in neutral, engine cold or up to temp, and it only returns once the throttle's been opened up a fair way.
Also, it's been doing it for so long now if it was any of the moving parts inside the engine or gearbox it would surely have died by now?

I'll post this on the other thread and pursue it from there.
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I heard a strange noise last night followed by "oh feck I've sh1t myself"
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I heard a strange noise last night followed by "oh feck I've sh1t myself"
You want to lay off the Coventry curry's :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

It was a tamworth veggie curry !! Dangerous stuff no fuse just a giggle and pop
Theodio

Post by Theodio »

Guys I have EXACTLY the SAME noise!!!

Have any ideas? I believe it is something on the valves or the little chain at clutch.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Just a thought
Could the stopper mod be holding the tensioner a fraction too loose?
They have a nasty habit of slipping and gripping when they get tired, normally just before they let go. It shouldn't be problem though as you already have the stopper mod fitted.
Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal