weird noise!!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Theodio

Re: weird noise!!!

Post by Theodio »

Yeap,

It is the tic-ic that it does some times on the video. Its a very district sound! NOT THE SOUND OF THE ENGINE, the other tic tic sound that kicks in some times when I rev a little.

Where that noise cmes from?? :Argue 1: :confused
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Guys you can either replace the slide diaphragm springs in the carbs, you would be surprised how much they shrink and loose their tension over the years, and/or follow Hawks carb set up for blocking a lift hole which slows the slide down.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 22#p269073

Either way it's time to start stripping the carbs down. Here's some useful links at the bottom of the following post.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 14#p238578

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

This is fantastic news!
I'll order 2 new springs and get them done - many thanks :D
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I ordered two new springs for mine from Wemoto. They weren't expensive but because it's something they don't keep in stock they ended up on backorder from their stockist in IIRC Belgium. Took about 3 weeks to arrive. Worth changing I would say!

This may be of some help.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25177

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

bandsawman wrote:Please, tell us more on this!
I've been involved in another thread about what I think is the same problem: http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 29#p133722

What causes the carb slide to bounce around, and how can it be proved/cured?
I can't say I discovered either item, just put the clues together. So if you are asking for undeniable proof, well I don;t have that, lust what I see as going on.

I will also add that in the "real world" I am a vacuum tech. Not a rug sucker but things like space simulation chambers and helium mass spectrometers and such, so I have a pretty good handle on vacuum theory. :angel:

So to your questions, the slide bounce is more common on US bikes (which might be due to the 45 pilots that come stock here) and was traced down with a mechanics stethoscope.
Why only the front does this at low RPMs IMHO is due to odd airflow from the short stack.
It actually make too good of a vacuum signal which causes the bouncing and also is what causes the stock set up to go rich on the front cylinder in the low-mids.

The fix, which is plugging one lift hole, was from HRC. They didn't say why, just stated to run their slide (with the single lift hole) with the short stack.
This causes the slide to react slower due to pumping through a smaller orifice. Which does 2 things first it stops the slide bouncing and also remove the rich spot from the front cyl.

Like all carb tuning, each bike will react differently but the rule of thumb is: With the long stock stack, run 2 lift holes. With the short stock stack, run 1 lift hole.
Aftermarket stacks (Dr. Honda) I have found work best for me with a lift hole plugged in each slide.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Theodio

Post by Theodio »

Hey, good day!

At Saturday I did some works on my VTR! I've changed spark plugs, (put dpr8eivx-9, not an issue huh?), oil (Motul 5100 10w40) and champion oil filter! When I started the engine with the new oils in it, the noise got worse, the common CCT noise! This rattling noise that only stops when I rev it w/o gear! So I ordered cct and head gasket!! :)

A quesion: The back spark plug was little oiled(not on the elctrode, just little on the screw of the sp. plug!
Theodio

Post by Theodio »

Is it a problem??
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If you suspect CCT failure DO NOT start the bike as you risk doing further damage i.e valves meeting piston!. Check valve clearances to find out if front or rear CCT has broken.

Hopefully you've ordered manual CCTs and fitting them (see previously linked DIY installation guide) will get you back up and running.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Theodio

Post by Theodio »

I dont push the bike.. and the noise isn't loud. But the i'm certain it's the CCT. Due working hours daily, I cant fix it, except this Saturday! Because Ii'll do some mods on my carb and check valve clearance and timing i'll do that at Sat.

I ordered one Honda OEM CCT. We don't have manual CCT in Greece :( :( :(
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If you suspect the rattle is CCT then it could mean the CCT has broken and the cam chain is running loose. If the cam chain jumps the sprocket teeth then the timing will go out potentially causing more damage. Hence why I advise NOT to run the engine till you find the problem and sort it. It is a common problem with the VTR and the remedy has been tried and tested.

From the link I posted earlier > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720
(European Krieger stockist) http://www.exhausist.com/naks.php - contact Rob de Hoo in Holland.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Serlant

Post by Serlant »

I have to say that I had noticed a noise like this noise begin to appear on my 70k motor and became more and more apparent, when swapping engines it still does it, i'm going to swap the slide out for a spare I have and see if it changes it. I will say that mine is alot quieter than this and you cant hear it at idle, more so when the engine is loaded up like when pulling away or going up a steep hill
darkember

Post by darkember »

A quesion: The back spark plug was little oiled(not on the electrode, just little on the screw of the sp. plug![/quote]

If your fueling is setup correctly the rear should be running slightly richer to keep it cooler. If you compare the 2 plugs side by side the rear one will have a darker biscuit tan than the front. The oil on the thread is probably due to the previous owner having greased the threads during the last change, common practice & helps with removal next time round. :thumbup:
Theodio

Post by Theodio »

I hope this is the case!

I'll find out what's going on generally when I'll replace the CCT. 1 week ago I've changed spark plugs ans oil+oil filter and I replaced the old (ngk dpr8evx9) with new (ngk dpr8eivx9- iridium). Is it OK for firestorm to run these spark plugs? The dpr9evx9 are hard to find and a dealer told me to replace with dpr8eix9, "there a bit hotter" but will do the job, (varadero runs them).

Anyway, 2 head gaskets, 1 OEM Honda CCT in new condition will be delivered to me in Friday and Saturday Ill do the job. I suspect that maybe the timing is a bit loose. (maybe jumped 1-2 teeth)

Will the new CCT make any difference at all (except noise)?

Thank you again!