Rear suspension linkages

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Bob C

Rear suspension linkages

Post by Bob C »

Just starting my winter maintenance programme and thought that I would take the rear suspension off and check all the linkages. Encountered a few problems and need a little advice if anyone could oblige that would be great with the following

1. The small needle bearings in the lower link arm will need replacing however can't seem to find any web site that sells them, any idea's anyone.
2. I have tried everything and that includes snapping an allen key. Any ideas how to get the lower link bracket off the swing arm
3. Do I need a special tool to press the bearings out of the suspension link arm.

Cheers in anticipation guys :thumbup: :beer:
Wicky

Re: Rear suspension linkages

Post by Wicky »

Have a read through this in the Workshop section > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=11809

And you'll be better using allen sockets rather than allen keys - maybe 1/2" ones if really seized so you can impart some leverage.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Bigger hammers needed.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

1. The small needle bearings in the lower link arm will need replacing however can't seem to find any web site that sells them, any idea's anyone
Someone recently posted links to them somewhere.

+1 on the allen sockets or you may be able to start it off with an impact driver with an allen bit in. IIRC it goes right through and there is a nut on the other side so you may want to undo this first. As for getting the old bearings out you will need a suitable drift to knock them out.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 34&t=30838

Linkage roller bearings & seals, got mine last week :thumbup:
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

For the swing arm Alan bolt - put the nut back on and wind it down half the thread then put a socket on with a long extraction bar then tw@ it hard until it frees off .
http://bit.ly/15imK1L
http://bit.ly/1hxwpE7
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

Cheers for all that fella's. Good old fashioned lump hammer and drift sorted the problem Bearings were totally shot and were replaced. Got them from a local place, much cheapness complete with new seals. I a now looking at how to manufacture some sort of heat shield to deflect heat away from the lower bearing.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Or just wrap the rear collector.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

tony.mon wrote:Or just wrap the rear collector.

+1 :thumbup:
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

tony.mon wrote:Or just wrap the rear collector.
And fit grease nipples too