Polishing the exhaust system

General Bike chat
Mav617

Re: Polishing the exhaust system

Post by Mav617 »

Like everything else on the Hound (of the Baskervilles, i.e. big, black dog) my headers are corroded to sh1t. Can they be sprayed with any kind of exhaust paint?
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

lloydie wrote:
seb421 wrote:i cant remember off top of my head what my old OEM down pipe was like but it wasn't a mess lol

the Yoshi front header was a wider pipe tho
Seb the moriwaki pipes lengths are

Front 600mm to the splitter
Rear 560mm to the splitter
So 40mm difference
And 42mm OD pipe for both
To give you a little bit of tease info as I finally got my hands on my new system 8)

I don't have the pipe lengths yet but I can tell you that the pipe coming from the head has a I.D. of 42mm with an O.D. of 45mm that tapers up to an O.D. of 50mm just past the crossover on the front pipe and right after the small 34mm crossover pipe on the rear cylinder. Then it goes up again at the cans for an inlet of 52mm.

Only a couple of pics so far as I just started cleaning but I would say this system has maybe 10K miles on it at most. :thumbup:

Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
oorwullie43

Post by oorwullie43 »

Mav617 wrote:Like everything else on the Hound (of the Baskervilles, i.e. big, black dog) my headers are corroded to sh1t. Can they be sprayed with any kind of exhaust paint?

When I got the black sparkly one a spare header pipe came with it. It had been sprayed black but who ever done it hadn't rubbed it down! It was a mess. I've started the cleaning with emery paper to start with, it's a bit of work but they will come back to a shiney condition! :?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

To give you a little bit of tease info as I finally got my hands on my new system 8)
It's ideal to have the tapers both ends. That should smooth out the pressure differentials. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
jonjonsocal

Post by jonjonsocal »

8541Hawk wrote:
lloydie wrote:
seb421 wrote:i cant remember off top of my head what my old OEM down pipe was like but it wasn't a mess lol

the Yoshi front header was a wider pipe tho
Seb the moriwaki pipes lengths are

Front 600mm to the splitter
Rear 560mm to the splitter
So 40mm difference
And 42mm OD pipe for both

I don't have the pipe lengths yet but I can tell you that the pipe coming from the head has a I.D. of 42mm with an O.D. of 45mm that tapers up to an O.D. of 50mm just past the crossover on the front pipe and right after the small 34mm crossover pipe on the rear cylinder. Then it goes up again at the cans for an inlet of 52mm.

Only a couple of pics so far as I just started cleaning but I would say this system has maybe 10K miles on it at most. :thumbup:

Looks like soak citys water ride.. :lol:

http://101thingstodosw.com/orangecounty ... k-city-oc/

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
02 VTR1000f Red
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Akrapovic :erection:
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

oorwullie43 wrote:
Mav617 wrote:Like everything else on the Hound (of the Baskervilles, i.e. big, black dog) my headers are corroded to sh1t. Can they be sprayed with any kind of exhaust paint?

When I got the black sparkly one a spare header pipe came with it. It had been sprayed black but who ever done it hadn't rubbed it down! It was a mess. I've started the cleaning with emery paper to start with, it's a bit of work but they will come back to a shiney condition! :?
Elbow grease I guess it has to be lol
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
flynavyj

Post by flynavyj »

how quick does it brown again once it's mounted back on the bike? Can you even protect it?
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

flynavyj wrote:how quick does it brown again once it's mounted back on the bike? Can you even protect it?
they will brown up fairly quickly if you ride in the wet.... :thumbdown:
but once they're done its easy to give them a quick clean every now and then... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

flynavyj wrote:how quick does it brown again once it's mounted back on the bike? Can you even protect it?
Have a look here:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7027

Chris.