Smoking Rear Pot?

General Bike chat
Mav617

Smoking Rear Pot?

Post by Mav617 »

Only had my Storm a few weeks, it's currently in bits (no wheels - new tyres, no bodywork other than tank - respray pending). I bought it for a knock-down price but wish now had spent more on sorted one.

It's covered 45K, and on start up from cold (choke on) the rear pot smokes like a chimney until warmish - is this common, or do I need it checking over (no nasty noises etc)?
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
oorwullie43

Re: Smoking Rear Pot?

Post by oorwullie43 »

Mav617 wrote:Only had my Storm a few weeks, it's currently in bits (no wheels - new tyres, no bodywork other than tank - respray pending). I bought it for a knock-down price but wish now had spent more on sorted one.

It's covered 45K, and on start up from cold (choke on) the rear pot smokes like a chimney until warmish - is this common, or do I need it checking over (no nasty noises etc)?

Are you repeateing your self? How did you go on with the respray price? I'm thinking I would rather have paint than plastic? I've started header pipe polishing, think I might regret that, spent 2 hours just getting the first layer of rust off the back header pipe! 8O
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Smoking pot.....sounds like a good plan :thumbup: That will help with the artistic flair for the respray :lol:

As for the engine, are you sure it's oil rather than condensation during the rich mixture for cold start and warm up? And as both pipes are connected you will not be able to tell which cylinder it's is....in fact I think at idle speeds the gas flow favours one of the pipes so it will look to produce more gas.

Things to check for:
Is the oil level dropping?
Is the end of pipe sooty and oily?
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I might regret that, spent 2 hours just getting the first layer of rust off the back header pipe! 8O
It will all be worth the effort in the end. All that will be required in the quick once over from time time with a green scourer or something to keep them tip top. :thumbup:
Smoking pot.....sounds like a good plan :thumbup: That will help with the artistic flair for the respray :lol:
Defo :biggrin :lol:

As for the Smoking rear pot, Is this defiantly smoke and not condensed water/steam? what colour is it? and where exactly is it coming from?

A couple of other things to check for is the crankcase breather, make sure this is connected. You may also want to remove the airbox lid and make sure oil is not getting into there, make sure all the hoses are connected. Check the cam cover bolts and that all the seal are the right way around and oil is not getting past them. Are there any signs of oil residue anywhere? If you have a later model with the PAIR you should also check this over, make sure the metal dowel and rubber O ring is in place in the centre of the cam cover, this requires cam cover removal.

Gasflow favours the left side until you reach higher speed where the gases are forced past the restriction in the Y pipe.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

cybercarl wrote:
I might regret that, spent 2 hours just getting the first layer of rust off the back header pipe! 8O
It will all be worth the effort in the end. All that will be required in the quick once over from time time with a green scourer or something to keep them tip top. :thumbup:
Defo :biggrin :lol:

As for the Smoking rear pot, Is this defiantly smoke and not condensed water/steam? what colour is it? and where exactly is it coming from?

A couple of other things to check for is the crankcase breather, make sure this is connected. You may also want to remove the airbox lid and make sure oil is not getting into there, make sure all the hoses are connected. Check the cam cover bolts and that all the seal are the right way around and oil is not getting past them. Are there any signs of oil residue anywhere? If you have a later model with the PAIR you should also check this over, make sure the metal dowel and rubber O ring is in place in the centre of the cam cover, this requires cam cover removal.

Gasflow favours the left side until you reach higher speed where the gases are forced past the restriction in the Y pipe.

Thanks Carl, it's white smoke, defo not steam, from the left hand exhaust can. Not too noticeable when the bike was picked up (outside, warm) but fired her up in the garage and nearly choked. :sick:

Wullie - Respray price from Car Body Solutions was £250 for all the bodywork (gloss black, of course :thumbup: )
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If it is cold out, this may be normal. If the smoke does not disappear after the bike is warmed, you have a problem (valve stem seals or head gasket?)
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Thanks Wicky, I did wonder if it could be a valve stem seal issue - guess I'll know more when I've properly ridden her a few times!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's normal, there's a restrictor which makes more gas flow through the LH pipe, and in addition that's the side where condensation settles due to the way the bike leans on the sidestand.
As long as it goes away after a minute or two it's of no consequence and can be ignored.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Thanks Tony, guess that might explain why there's such a difference between the two (little/no smoke from RH side pipe)
darkember

Post by darkember »

Cars do this & it will be even more prominent when it gets colder. As long as the colour is white & not blue it should be fine.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

And frankly I can't condone smoking any pot, no matter what orifice you use to smuggle it past The Man.

I find that it detrimentally affects the flavour, and therefore enjoyment.
Allegedly.
According to a book I read once.

Whilst not inhaling.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

And frankly
Did you ask Frank then.

==============================Enter the Darkside
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

if its engine oil burning you will smell it halfway down the street.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

fabiostar wrote:if its engine oil burning you will smell it halfway down the street.
Not really only a following rider will smell it when your on the throttle or on the overrun .