cyclist nobheads

General Biker Banter
StormingHonda

Re: cyclist nobheads

Post by StormingHonda »

Children should be put on a riding course at school and show they are competent to ride a push bike on the road and obey road laws, this is where it should start and if they dont hold a childs liscence to ride on the road then the parents get fined, simple as that.

And if people are so quick to point out the Road tax is no longer called road tax because 1) the government can charge outragous prices to people who need a bigger to ferry around the family in the name of saving the enviroment 2) They can justify NOW not spending the money on the roads and lastly these cyclists are also road payers then maybe like everyone else they can pay for a liability insurance like all road users when they damage someones vehicle.

Maybe this will also keep the not so avid cyclists off the road.

any good wicky?.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Children should be put on a riding course at school and show they are competent to ride a push bike on the road and obey road laws
They used to. Cycle Proficiency Test is what I done at Primary. As well as learning the Green Cross Code and the Tuffty Club. I don't think Schools do these things any more. Shame really.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

cybercarl wrote:They used to. Cycle Proficiency Test is what I done at Primary. As well as learning the Green Cross Code and the Tuffty Club. I don't think Schools do these things any more. Shame really.

I did a cycling proficiency test in year 6.. 7 years ago.. It was ride around a roundabout on the military base ( which never had ANY traffic ) and being told that staying on the left side of the road is key. If that's what it is they REALLY need to up their game I think, all I got for it too was a lousy keyfob that I lost in about 7 hours
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

From what I recall it was like a CBT in the School playground for me, and a bit of theory with the highway code for cycles. :think: But this is going back to the 70's :eek2

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Our kids did that at primary school .... So might still be running
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

Ethan's done it. (Proficiency test) Having said that, youngsters need to do a CBT to ride a moped. How many youngsters do you see being a tw@ on a moped? As many as the cyclists running red lights? :twisted:

Vehicle Excise Duty (previously Road Tax) is based on emissions. I'd happily pay nothing for it (zero emissions) but it would cost the tax payer (YOU!!!!) millions to set up manage. I don't know about you but I'd rather they spend that money on fixing up the roads (although that's from a completely different budget)

My son rides 3.4 miles a day to school and back. I tell him if he doesn't feel safe or feels threatened by the Richard head cagers (well most 'a y'all generalising. If you can't beat em, join em), then ride on the pavement. I also tell him that if he gets a copper tells him off, to ask the copper nicely to call me. I'll be happy to pay a fine. 90% of his route is on cycle paths. If the cycle paths were not there, he'd be getting the bus.

I am a road user. Not a cager, biker or cyclist. A user of the road. I have a very good understanding from all three perspectives. As a biker, I am taking managed risks. We all do. We are vulnerable. As a cyclist we are even more vulnerable and I may decide that the risk of staying on the road might outweigh the risk of getting done for cycling on the pavement. If that's the case, I'll cycle on the pavement.

I rarely need to where I live but I may decide that getting away from a red light quickly [read early] will put me in less danger than getting done for it. Meh. What I won't do though is get off the road because I might piss off some ignorant impatient tw@ in a car, bus or truck.

The highway code covers it quite well. If you don't agree with the code then you are either ignorant or should not be on the road (or both) 8)

Road users requiring extra care (204 to 225)
3. Motorcyclists and cyclists (211 to 213) << Hmm, motorcyclists and cyclists both together :roll:
https://www.gov.uk/road-users-requiring ... 211-to-213
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Well Geodude, doing something is better than doing nothing, atleast when they are very young it might make a little impression on them and arm them with some knowledge that might save their lives, secondly I would be in favour of an insurance for cyclists.

Have you ever hit a pedestrian or cyclist?

My wife was hit by a pedestrian ( yes you read that correctly ) and from an insurance standpoint, your worse nightmares begin, even when you are not to blame.
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

just on this - I know a lot of cyclists (commuters and club riders) who do have insurance, and you get it as standard by being a member of British Cycling, so again it's not a case of all cyclists are uninsured, although that said many are I would imagine, but what the % splits are is anyone's guess.
geodude

Post by geodude »

StormingHonda wrote:Well Geodude, doing something is better than doing nothing, atleast when they are very young it might make a little impression on them and arm them with some knowledge that might save their lives, secondly I would be in favour of an insurance for cyclists.
Totally agree. :thumbup:
StormingHonda wrote: Have you ever hit a pedestrian or cyclist?
Nope.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Just sheep :lol:

Ges

Post by Ges »

Agree, good and bad everywhere, been cycling in London 20 odd & Motorbike about 17yrs, but getting more dangerous for cyclists with the advent of mobile phones, sat navs etc with drivers not paying attention and not being able to drive in a straight line and wandering into cycle lanes, whilst on phone, texting etc.
I have one narrow stretch of road where Motorcylists like to nip into the bike lane, if only I could catch them :wink:
But still love 2 wheels over 4 any day and that sense of freedom
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

have one narrow stretch of road where Motorcylists like to nip into the bike lane,
I do that at times in heavy traffic jams while weaving in and out, but I'm respectful to the cylists if they are there and give them space if I can. Sometimes a narrow cycle bit at the edge of the road is the safest place to be on two wheels and vulnerable whether you have an engine or not. Much better than squeezing through the gap between two HGV's carrying a heavy load of soil or something.

I could just as easily get annoyed by the cyclist that travels down the outside centre of the road on the broken white lines. I had one the other day. I was pulling out from between the cars in the lane of traffic jam onto the outside and all of a sudden I heard a shout. It was a cyclist, so I let him past. I then pulled out and it was a little frustrating being behind him as I could have easily gone faster and overtaken. But he was an experienced cyclist that knew how to make progress. So I kept a nice respectful steady pace behind him, took the opportunity to practise my slow speed cruise without having to put a foot down or brake. A little further up the road I managed to pass him at the lights. Intact I pulled up right up next to him in the, yes..the cycle bit at the front of traffic at the red light. To me that means two wheels, not cyclists only. :lol: Actually in and around town I think that is exactly what it should mean. Two Wheels Only. I don't see any problem with us sharing that part of the road, just be respectful of each other.

One thing's for sure, racing around like a loon and getting in front of one another does not get you anywhere any quicker as we are all controlled by the system, the lights. traffic, pedestrians etc etc. It's when one or the other makes a comment, sign language, dirty look or whatever when the problems arise.

BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

had to go to the royal free hospital today (went to go to Highgate cemetery after but didn't go in :wink: ) anyway, at a pedestrian crossing at Golders Green a bus stop ad was being replaced and the bloke parked his van just off the crossing on a double yellow, but blocking a bus that couldn't go over the kerb of the crossing island in the middle of the road. Utter carnage - involving a bus, vans, cars, scooters and a couple of cyclists all getting very cross. Bloke doing the ad replacement didn't give a wombles. Selfish human nature - at the root of most of life's problems
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

See that's just pig ignorant. Was there space for them to park right up on the pavement so traffic could flow. It wouldn't surprise me if they had some sort of permit to do that. Permit to cause chaos. :lol:

I challenge anyone who wants to know what it's really like to do a despatch riders job for the day on the London circuit whether that be on a pushbike or motorbike. If you have not experienced the mania of modern day London's roads then that would be a real eye opener. Maybe a little scary and life threatening at times.

callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

I went to london on the bike last year and was honestly gobsmacked by how some of the despatch riders were riding
having some specially adapted board to hold an a3 map to a cb500 whilst shouting down a walkie-talkie sounds like my idea of hell :thumbdown:
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...