Newly discovered Firestorm noob in Cardiff!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
FireSpook

Re: Newly discovered Firestorm noob in Cardiff!

Post by FireSpook »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2yn6tfcvouqf ... .34.44.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9w5lwzfdlcmg ... .34.26.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3amhcnzchztgt ... .34.15.jpg

Well it's taken a while, but here are 3 pics of the fitted Apex bars. :D

I'd say you need to take a full day to fit them, as you'll want to try all the different angles and heights to find the most comfortable sitting for you, plus you'll need to find the angle which won't make the reservoirs clash too much with the existing fairing tops.

Also this setting doesn't require replacing the throttle cables, brake or clutch lines with longer ones.

The fairing tops will almost undoubtedly need trimming, but don't worry, they can easily be done so without ruining the look of the fairing. It can be done without anyone (except hose who are familiar with the original shape) noticing that they've been trimmed down at all.

These pic has been taken before I've tidied the sides up- they're a little rough from the dremmel I used, and the left is cut more than the right and looks lop-sided. This will be altered so they are cut the same.

I've put the bars in a way which is almost like a straight-bar conversion if you like. They are wider, further back and higher than the standard setup. She feels like a hooligan's bike now, much more comfortable, but still feels perfectly precise and solid.

Because of the fouling with the fairing, you cannot adjust these bars fully. Also when they are set lower and forward, the height adjustment bar fouls the top yoke bolts when turned round the top of the suspension uprights they bolt to.

I would highly recommend these bars, they do have a huge rate of adjustment and will change the feeling and riding position of your bike dramatically. Whether you are just after a rise, a change in angle, width or reach, they can do it all.

If anyone wishes to come down to Cardiff and see these bars on my bike, please do feel free, you will be most welcomed!

They work out about £160, but I'd say they are well worth it and a great investment if you're looking to keep your bike for a while. But don't forget, you can remove them and fit them to your next bike, (which would need to have 41mm suspension tops.)

Make sure you buy the 41mm clamp sized bars, they are a very common size and as mentioned, can be transferred to another bike or sold separately if you decide to part with your 'Storm. (Why would anyone want to do that???)

All the best,
Spook. :beer:
Last edited by FireSpook on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Many thanks for getting back to us :thumbup: and for the nice detailed feedback on the Apex bars with photo's :clap: :clap:

The position you have the bars in now look good to me :)

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

+1

Shame the fairing required trimming though.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
FireSpook

Post by FireSpook »

Thanks for the replies, and yes it is a shame the fairing needed trimming, but as I mentioned, it's not an obvious thing, and doesn't spoil the look of the bike.

The other thing I forgot to mention is because I've set the bars further out and back, I now don't have the good rear view from the mirrors I had, as my elbows are in the way! :eek2 I know Fireblade mirrors fit and are wider, but what year are the ones to go for? I'm not bothered if they have a built in indicator or not.

All the breast,

Spook
macdee

Post by macdee »

told you not to but oh no you knew better
FireSpook

Post by FireSpook »

Fantastic, but as a Noob I can't pm him to buy a set! :cry:
macdee

Post by macdee »

FireSpook wrote:Fantastic, but as a Noob I can't pm him to buy a set! :cry:
i will do it for you
and get posting it wont take long to get 50
told you not to but oh no you knew better
FireSpook

Post by FireSpook »

Fantastic, thank you. :o) Will keep posting.....