Rectifier - burn out!

General Bike chat
Boubepo

Rectifier - burn out!

Post by Boubepo »

I have gone through 3 rectifiers in 2 years. The first one was no great surprise -being the original finless unit but the following two were CBR 125 finned rectifiers

So a couple of questions - what are the possible reasons for rectifiers to burn out after 7 or 8 months?

And

I'm sure I read on here? about a guy doing a modification [with photos] adapting a much bigger rectifier from a Yamaha XJR 1300? - Has anyone tried this? was it easy enough? and what was the result?

Thanks in advance and Happy Xmas everyone :)
Boubepo

Re: Rectifier - burn out!

Post by Boubepo »

I just found the post, I mentioned above, it wasn't an XJR 1300 R/R but an Yamaha R1 or R6 R/R used
macdee

Post by macdee »

told you not to but oh no you knew better
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's pot luck with 2nd hand older shindengen style RR's. 3 in two years is a bit much though. Are you sure the wiring is all good and not shorting or something. Also check the battery is good and taking a charge. If the battery wont take a charge then the RR has nowhere to send it''s currant accept shunt it which burns them out if excess.

yet another reg/rec question

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I went through 3 in two years too .
Two of them were from a r1 and the other was a standard none fined honda .
Now I have a real honda fined r/r and I will be fitting a MOSFET soon .
Second hand parts are always a gamble it's the chance we take .
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

Thanks for all the info

As far as I can tell my battery is still okay and able to take a charge and all connections seem pretty good. The bike appears to have spent it's whole life in a garage, as there's no sign of corrosion or weathered or loose connections etc

The article about the MOFSET R/R's was interesting and something I knew very little about - I guess that's the direction I need to go, if I can find one at a reasonable price.

In the meantime I was going to try a standard R1 R/R which I thought would at least give me a decent run for my money - but if you have also burnt out two of there lloyde? it doesn't give me a lot of hope :(
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I have had an R1 RR for the last couple of years with no bother and it's only connected up with crimp terminals as well :oops: . It's like Lloydie said Second hand parts are always a gamble it's the chance we take. The one advantage with the R1 RR's is that they are in abundance and cheap, also that they have a very large surface cooling area. But yes if you want something solid and reliable then MOSFET is the way to go but they are not cheap.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

Thanks cybercarl, I have to factor in the costs, I'm running four bikes on the road at the moment and I'm not a rich man by any stretch of the imagination! So I'm looking to get it sorted at a reasonable price.

I have yet another second hand CBR125 R/R winging it's way to Spain, to get the bike back on the road, a cheap alternative idea was to buy another R/R from Hong Kong/China as a back up, for when this one invariably blows 6 -12 months down the road

Has anyone tried a Hong Kong, Chinese R/R and if so, did they last the week? Or am I being cynical?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Wouldn't bother with a Chinese sourced R/R. Even Honda SH marked finned R/Rs have a finite lifespan as I've just had to replace my replacement after 8 years after it ate a battery. Ideally go for a FH marked MOSFET replacement.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

If you buy cheap rubbish then expect the same results. I replaced mine years ago with one from Electrex. Not cheap, but it's been no trouble and no pissing around with spare wires etc.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

Funnily enough I wrote to 'Electrex' last night, still waiting for their reply. The direct [finned] replacement is £78 - I don't mind paying that if it lasts but I'm lacking confidence in this unit if I'm honest, I know the two I've burnt out were both secondhand but i still expected them to last more than 6 months each
I've asked Electrex if they have a MOSFET alternative
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

According to Electrex the R/R they have listed [RR58 for £78] is MOSFET

It looks very much like the two I've already blown!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Boubepo wrote:According to Electrex the R/R they have listed [RR58 for £78] is MOSFET

It looks very much like the two I've already blown!
Well, I replaced mine about 6 years ago and it's been fine since.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!