ENGINE RATTLE

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
blob748

ENGINE RATTLE

Post by blob748 »

I bought this bike with the front cam chain failure. I have replaced the front head and the cam chain adjusters, there was no damage to the top of the piston, just a few light scratches. When I fired up the bike it ran for about 2 mins then started to rattle. Its not the clutch because as I pulled the lever in the sound did not change. I have rechecked the timing and valves, also balanced the carbs. The sound seems to be coming from the front of the clutch area between the clutch and the anti rattle gear but I can not pin point it for definite. The bike runs perfectly through all the gears. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas or perhaps someone would listen to it for me. Im in the Gravesend area and happy to take the bike locally to someone.
MacV2

Re: ENGINE RATTLE

Post by MacV2 »

Hey up Blob, long time no hear !

Tonys ya man for that one mate, drop him a PM.

Mac
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
blob748

Post by blob748 »

Hi Mac,
yeh im always watching on here but tend not to comment much. This problem has really stumped me and thought I could do with some help.
Cheers for the reply.
Med
macdee

Post by macdee »

hi blob
do you know if a ignition advancer has been fitted to your bike
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

What kind of CCTs did you fit? OEM Honda or aftermarket manuals? If manual CCTs did you adjust them correctly...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hard to say without listening to the bike. Has it done loads of miles :?: if so it could be worn carb slides if you hear it on tick over :?:

Chris.
blob748

Post by blob748 »

Hi, thanks for the replys. It has no ignition advancer, I fitted manual ccts which I have screwed in and out all the way to see if the rattle would stop , and the bike has done 21,000 miles.
Thanks
darkember

Post by darkember »

I know you say that there has been no visual damage to the top end but if there are marks on the pistons your valves will have come into contact & they may not be seating correctly. Did you do an overhaul before the rebuild? Before doing this check the carb sliders first as Sirch suggested.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It shouldn't be a carb problem at 21,000 miles, so long as they are the original carbs.

Following along the train of thought of Darkember's, may be a compression test would be a good idea. That would rule out any bent valves, but of course the noise from that would be in the cylinder head which you don't think it is,

Chris.
blob748

Post by blob748 »

Hi Chris, I re-seated all the values, changed the front head as the old one was damaged, Honda new head gasket. The bike has had 2 owners, full service history from a Honda dealers, so I think the carbs are original, I have also been all around the carb area with a mechanics stethoscope and can not find the rattle there. The rattle sounds like a chain being dragged over metal slowly, the sound does not change when you rev it which makes a real head puzzler.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I'm in Kemsing and would be happy to have a listen to see if we can identify the culprit.

There are lots of possibilities, depending on what you took off.
But if it doesn't increase tempo when you raise the revs, it can't be engine related, only gearbox back, or something loose rattling.

Check the cam box breathers- the front one's a bugger to connect properly under the airbox, and can make some odd noises if loose or disconnected.

I'll pm you my address and a contact tel number.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
chris freckle

Post by chris freckle »

Have you checked that the crankshaft primary/antirattle gear has been preloaded ?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

blob748 wrote:Hi Chris, I re-seated all the values, changed the front head as the old one was damaged, Honda new head gasket. The bike has had 2 owners, full service history from a Honda dealers, so I think the carbs are original, I have also been all around the carb area with a mechanics stethoscope and can not find the rattle there. The rattle sounds like a chain being dragged over metal slowly, the sound does not change when you rev it which makes a real head puzzler.
Hearing that I would also think the carbs are most likely the originals. Going by the work you have done on the front head that should be fine, even more so as the sound doesn't change when you rev the bike. If it was a cylinderhead related problem it would change as you revved the bike as you probably know. Taking up Tony Mon's offer to have a look and listen could be your best option. Worth checking that air-box front hose Tony mentions first though,

Chris.
blob748

Post by blob748 »

I removed the air box and put it back at least 5 times, dam that front pipe! I spoke to tony, he going to listen to the rattle on Saturday. :thumbup: I will let you know what he finds.
Thanks lads.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That's good, fingers crossed you'll get it sorted. it will be interesting to hear what it is, no pressure Tony :wink:

Chris.