cct in warrington

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
firestormpaul

cct in warrington

Post by firestormpaul »

is anyone in the warrington area who can do the ccts for me or be there when I do incase I mess it up printed the how to
and it seems ok but you never know do you read a post sure it said someone in warrinton on here could do them if there is get in touch pleassssse
paul
leevtr

Re: cct in warrington

Post by leevtr »

Sounds like you're a fairly practical chap, if you follow the instructions you should have no probs.

When I did my first set, I did use the instructions, but put my own spin on it;

So you're at the point of all stripped down, rear pot at TDC, and its safe to remove the original auto. This you can remove without the locking key, just undo the bolts a bit either side at a time and she'll come out no probs, might require a gentle tap to break the seal. Remove the camchain guide to expose the run of chain between the camshaft sprockets. For gawd sake dont drop the bolts into the engine !!

Now, Install your new manual CCT, and without tools, just fingers, wind the adjuster in as tight as you can...No tools remember, just finger tight. If yours is like mine was, the chain between the sprockets will be as tight as feck. Now mark the adjuster with a dot of tippex or something, and turn the adjuster back out ( loosen it off ) one turn at a time, until you get the slack in the chain to the correct amount, then lock it off. From memory is 7mm slack. Cant remember how many turns out it was for mine, but if you then use this method to do the front one, you dont need to remove the cam cover, it can be done by feel. Just tighten finger tight, then back off the same amount of turns as on the rear. I've done 2 sets like this, no issues whatsoever. Remember to put a smear of silicone/instant gasket on the thread before, stop any potential oil leaks, probably says that on the how to guide.
Remember to set the front pot at TDC before undoing the original CCT :lol:
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

hi,whats the easiest way to set the front tdc once you have finished the rears when you carnt see the cam lobes.only asking as im doing mine next week.any tips realy appreciated.cheers :thumbup:
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

countrymick wrote:hi,whats the easiest way to set the front tdc once you have finished the rears when you carnt see the cam lobes.only asking as im doing mine next week.any tips realy appreciated.cheers :thumbup:
Turn the engine over by hand anti clockwise 450 degrees ( 1 and a quarter turns ). Keep an eye on the inspection hole when you get near and you'll see the rt mark appear on the flywheel.
firestormpaul

Post by firestormpaul »

think ill have a go in the near future
not bad with spanners changing turbo on car cambelt ect
cheers paul
darkember

Post by darkember »

You can also use a flexi umbilical torch to verify the piston is at TDC through the spark plug hole. Honest though you are better doing it with the cam covers off if its your first time.
firestormpaul

Post by firestormpaul »

probably would take both cam covers off just to be safe and follow the how to
cheers paul
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

It's easy..i have only 1 and a half hands and i did it...if you've printed cybercarls writeup out it'll take you through it step by step....i double checked after every step then went onto the next....when you've finish and everythings back together i guarantee you'll hesitate when it comes to pushing the start button...i did when i rebuilt the front head after a cct failure and i still did after putting the manual cct's in...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I keep hearing TDC but no mention off being ot TDC on the compression stroke. Don't forget the piston is at TDC twice, once on the compression and once on the exhaust. You should be on the compression stroke as this is where the chain is at it's slackest point with less risk of jumping.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
firestormpaul

Post by firestormpaul »

yea think it says that in the how to as
long as I follw it sure ill be fine just a bit nervous lol
gotta get some manuals first
paul
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

just a bit nervous
That's understandable we've all been there. And I still sometimes get a little nervous with the first flick of the switch.

Have good read through the guide, anything you don't understand then ask questions first. Once it all makes sense to you on paper that's half the battle won. When doing the work take your time a double check everything as you go along. Be meticulous! If you get stuck or are unsure of anything then yet again, ask first. It's always better to ask (no matter how trivial it may sound to you) than have something go wrong.

Start with the generator cap and make sure it comes undone first as that can turn into a job in itself if seized.

==============================Enter the Darkside
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

cybercarl wrote:I keep hearing TDC but no mention off being ot TDC on the compression stroke. Don't forget the piston is at TDC twice, once on the compression and once on the exhaust. You should be on the compression stroke as this is where the chain is at it's slackest point with less risk of jumping.

Didnt say that as Paul is also using the how to, which already says it.
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

I watched a very dear friend do mine ... Benny Hedges ... sadly missed by all...l and a
true Gent ... he lived at Birchwood Warrington and no doubt he would have helped
you ....but for me ... key... is lining up the timing marks on the crankcase inspection cover .. then the
rotation 1 and 1/4 turns as previously stated. Also watch out for dropping any small
nuts washers down below .. there may not be recoverable.. so some rags to cover vulnerable
open /spaces is a good idea.... make sure you have a quality thread lock mixture liberally applied
on the Manual CCT threads follow Cybercarls info you should have no difficulty .. about 2
hours from start to finish with a few brews on the go .. best of luck.
Alb :thumbup:
firestormpaul

Post by firestormpaul »

thanks everyone for your comments/ thoughts
just need to buy them now
paul
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Paul I have done my manual CCt's a few years ago, and have an excellent simple guide written by "Sirch 345"...Gawd Bless Ya Chris... on changing CCT's . If you want to borrow it or if you feel you still need a hand, just PM me and we can sort something out :thumbup:
ChrisC