CCT's

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
caferacerdan

CCT's

Post by caferacerdan »

Time has come to start shopping for CCTs and I am still not sure whether to do this in my garage with my uncle (im relatively good home mechanic at most things but I am not used to working inside engines.

If i were to get a mechanic or shop to do it how much can I expect it to cost in labour? I know it will cost £80 for the CCTs so what will the overall cost be if i get a mechanic to do the work?

Cheers,
Dan
macdee

Re: CCT's

Post by macdee »

caferacerdan where you from some member may be close and can help
bazza is doing cct's cheaper
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

To do the job properly you would be looking at the best part of half a day, maybe more. So what ever your local garage would charge per hour times 4/5 but they would follow the Haines manual which is not the correct way to do them. Post your location and there may be a fellow stormer close who will help you :thumbup:
parkergb6

Post by parkergb6 »

Where you at mate happy to lend a hand if your nearby.
Cheers
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Northwich
parkergb6

Post by parkergb6 »

BTW it really isnt that tricky. Cybercarl has done a fantastic guide which is on the new members section. Really straight forward to follow.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

im relatively good home mechanic at most things but I am not used to working inside engines
Doing the CCT's is not really getting that deep inside the engine. You only taking the lid off and dipping your hand in the jar so to speak. It's most likely the timing side that worries you.

You will find all necessary CCT options and links in the read me below. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

About 2 hours with a couple of brews ...key is .. ... 1 and 1/4 turns....on timing when you turn timing marks.. don't let nuts washers mechanical items fall/slip down and make sure a large cloth is over to cover spaces .. say carbs .. engine abyss.. open spaces ...to catch what drops down ... if anything ..... use quality sealant on threads on manual ccts follow cybercarls very good instructions.. nay probs ..
:thumbup:
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Where are you Dan, if you're in Northwich then so am I. Mine need doing also, was thinking of having Northwich Bikes take a look - maybe we can work it out together?
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
caferacerdan

Post by caferacerdan »

Sorry for the late reply :) been busy riding! did the cat and fiddle in the dark last night which was interesting :p As for the CCT's iv spoken to a few people (one guy near me says he will only charge £60-£80 per tensioner! which isnt bad...also spoken to my uncle who is gonna have a look and see if he will do then with me :) need to learn how to work on engines if im gonna buy a supermoto!

Thank you for all the offers of help though :)
Cheers
Dan
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

caferacerdan wrote: one guy near me says he will only charge £60-£80 per tensioner! which isnt bad...
Dan
What............thats a rip off, perhaps OK as a total charge, but not each!
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Oh I don't know...£60 -£80 at least that's not per an hour and then them charging for a whole mornings work (some garages may say it takes that long :roll: ) so 2.5 hours worth of work, both cct's done that's between £120 - £160 + tensioners...say, £40, so between £160 - £200 to get the job done. I think £80 for each is a bit steep but £60 I think is reasonable. £160 and the job done. I would be more concerned whether or not they have worked on V Twins before, better still these bikes specifically, and know what they are doing. Was that price including VAT :think: I hope so!!

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I assumed that was just fitting and you supplied some nice Bazza ones for them to use
AMcQ
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

caferacerdan wrote:Sorry for the late reply :) been busy riding! did the cat and fiddle in the dark last night which was interesting :p As for the CCT's iv spoken to a few people (one guy near me says he will only charge £60-£80 per tensioner! which isnt bad...also spoken to my uncle who is gonna have a look and see if he will do then with me :) need to learn how to work on engines if im gonna buy a supermoto!

Thank you for all the offers of help though :)
Cheers
Dan
Who quoted that Dan? I have manuals from Bazza but I'm not willing to trust myself to this so I'd pay something approaching that just for peace of mind.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Move nearer me!

I only charge £100 supply (Bazza's) and fitted.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.