Tips for removing rounded-off engine bolt

General Bike chat
jpickup

Tips for removing rounded-off engine bolt

Post by jpickup »

Rounded off one of the engine casing bolts and can't shift it with socket, ring spanner or vice grips. Any suggestions?

I seem to remeber that there is some device that you screw in counter-clockwise into a hole. Not sure how easy it would be to drill a hole in a bolt though... I imagine it'll be very easy to slip off and mark the casing!
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Which bolt ? Picture might help ? Lots of ways to do it but depends on the tools you have at your disposal.
kevg

Post by kevg »

The tools you are talking about are called easy-outs, amongst other things. but like yella says, which bolt is it, there might be a better method of removal.
easy-outs tend to be very fragile and normally break leaving you with a bolt/stud with a hardened steel core to then try and remove later, after all of the swearing has stopped.
if it's an actual bolt with a hex head thats round you could maybe get a spanner that pushes on the flats of the bolt rather than the corner...sorry can't remember the name of the makers, or maybe a gator-grip style socket with pins inside it that does a similar thing.

also plenty of penetrating oil like plus gas, WD40 or something similar again could help over time.
cheerz

kev
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

im ressurecting this thread as i have the same problem (keep info searching tidy).

Its one of those bolts that holds the front screen to the fairing, the rubber gromet with an allen bolt. The allen key shreaded when i tried moving it and due to its domed nature no moles, vices or anything are helping as i cant grip it! Have liberally applied WD40 over the past two nights..

Any ideas?
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

If its an allen bolt, then you've got a good chance of being able to drill it out, cus the hole will centre the drill. You need to use a good quality sharp drill and try to get something solid behind the bolt to prevent deflection.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

My favoured approach to dome headed stuff (or anything where there's enough head proud of the threads) is to use a small hacksaw or dremmel type tool to cut a slot in the top, then use a large bladed flat screwdriver to remove it. Less risky than drilling, I save that for those ones where you snap it or the head is recessed flush to something else.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

With an allen key bolt, try a slightly larger torx (star shaped) bit tapped in with a hammer....
Squiffythewombat

thanks guys, tried to use the star key method with no luck!

Kitch i will give your idea a try tonight as that seems nice and simple and see how i get on! The main issue is it being so close to my valued fairing and screen!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Squiffythewombat

Kitch your a star, worked perfectly first time! I did put a small scratch on the fairing which was annoying but its being resprayed anyway so bah...

THanks Dude :-)
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Kitch

Post by Kitch »

No worries. :D
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.