My Efforts Finally Bare Fruit

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
darkember

My Efforts Finally Bare Fruit

Post by darkember »

This has been a labour of love & I'm only halfway there :( However I do like the results thus far :plainsmile

The process thus far:

Removing the paint the hardest job:

Paint removed ready for sanding

Sanding done down to 3000 wet & dry:

Finally the polished item next to the original:

Now all I need to do is apply the heat resistant lacquer. Does anybody have any tips on this job:

1: How many coats should be applied?
2: Should I cure each coat before applying the next?
3: How long should the curing take?
4: Can I cure them in my oven & at what temperature?
Ckennedy

Re: My Efforts Finally Bare Fruit

Post by Ckennedy »

Good work :thumbup: it is looking good. Grab yourself a pint for half a job well done :beer: will look good when there both shiney
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

great work mate, i'll send you mine to do.... :thumbup:
I tried curing paint on my cam covers, stuck them in the oven on a low heat, I had to do it late at night so the lady of the house wouldn't notice, 10mins later, que smoke and the stench of burning, i'm franticly opening windows and wafting the smoke away, desperate not to set the smoke alarms off...... :eek2 :eek2 :eek2
loads of air freshner later and an increased heart rate, I took them out of the oven and there was no difference at all, total waste of time... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Bling bling!

Looks good!
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Da Lipper

Post by Da Lipper »

That looks great! How long did it take to rub down?
darkember

Post by darkember »

Da Lipper wrote:That looks great! How long did it take to rub down?
3 hrs from 600 - 3000 grit & double polish paste brown & blue. That was the easy bit. 5 days to remove the paint that is the hard bit dreading the next one, but it has to be done.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Nice work fella, that looks very trick
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Those polished cam covers (polished cam covers to make it searchable when I want to find the thread :wink: ) Look fantastic. I likey very much. You have done a great job there and a labour of love indeed. How's your finger tips :lol:

As for the laquer double check the manufactures directions for whichever product you end up using. I would double check the heat resistance on that paint wicky posted.

Personally I would use at least a whole can on both covers, that's one can between the two so half can each. Do them both side by side at the same time to minimise waste. Lots of thin coats is better than less thicker coats. Leave to go tacky between coats, say... spray coat, leave for 10 mins and then do the next coat, leave for 10mins, next coat and so on.

Leave enough spray in the can for one more thin coat! Leave them to cure for at least 24h or however long the manufacturers instructions say. Then give them a rub down with some fine wet n dry, 800 grade to de-nib any imperfections and get rid of the odd run you may have got. Wash down and dry, tack rag and give a final coat of paint. Allow to fully cure for a little longer than before. Best to leave as long as you possibly can, a week if needs be and you have the time. Then get some 1200 grade wet n dry, rub down so you loose the shine and get the cloudy look, then polish (cutting compound) to get the shine back.

Perfection :thumbup:

I might be wrong, but like I say check the manufactures instructions. I would not go putting them in the oven. There will be enough heat getting into them from running the engine and they will harden up more over time.

Oh and you are using the we n dry wet with plenty of warm soapy water arnt you?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
darkember

Post by darkember »

cybercarl wrote:Those polished cam covers (polished cam covers to make it searchable when I want to find the thread :wink: ) Look fantastic. I likey very much. You have done a great job there and a labour of love indeed. How's your finger tips :lol:

As for the laquer double check the manufactures directions for whichever product you end up using. I would double check the heat resistance on that paint wicky posted.

Personally I would use at least a whole can on both covers, that's one can between the two so half can each. Do them both side by side at the same time to minimise waste. Lots of thin coats is better than less thicker coats. Leave to go tacky between coats, say... spray coat, leave for 10 mins and then do the next coat, leave for 10mins, next coat and so on.

Leave enough spray in the can for one more thin coat! Leave them to cure for at least 24h or however long the manufacturers instructions say. Then give them a rub down with some fine wet n dry, 800 grade to de-nib any imperfections and get rid of the odd run you may have got. Wash down and dry, tack rag and give a final coat of paint. Allow to fully cure for a little longer than before. Best to leave as long as you possibly can, a week if needs be and you have the time. Then get some 1200 grade wet n dry, rub down so you loose the shine and get the cloudy look, then polish (cutting compound) to get the shine back.

Perfection :thumbup:

I might be wrong, but like I say check the manufactures instructions. I would not go putting them in the oven. There will be enough heat getting into them from running the engine and they will harden up more over time.

Oh and you are using the we n dry wet with plenty of warm soapy water arnt you?

I will be using "Hycote VHT Clear lacquer resistant up to 450 degrees C.

I'm not sure if I should be rubbing this stuff down after application as this is the final protective coating wont I just be removing what I have sprayed on?? Remember I have already done the wet & dry to 3000 & then buffed with 2 polishing pastes
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I hear what you saying about the wet n dry to 3000 (god that is fine) 1200 or 1500 is is what is normally recommended for the final rub down before polishing paint. Lacquer/varnish is just paint without the colourants! It's down to how good/smooth a finish you want. The smoother the finish the less light that is scattered. It's the less scattered light that gives a mirrored finish.

After spraying it wont be as smooth as 3000 anymore no matter how good a sprayer you are. That does not mean that what you have done is a waste of time though. The better the prep the better the finish :wink: Ideally one would wet n dry and tack rag between every coat. If you think about it your going to spray on a perfect surface at the moment so as it dries the paint flows and finds it own level to a degree, depending on how even a coat you apply. if it's not rubbed back down after and then one applies another coat, say without tac ragging as well, so there are dust contaminants to deal with also. The paint then sits on top of those inconsistencies of highs and lows (like on a CD or hard drive platter 0's and 1s :lol:) If it's rubbed back down as smooth as glass and perfectly clean and you apply the paint, your then getting a more consistent even coat.

The way I'm talking is doing it to perfection by the book. IIRC It takes 3 months for the painter to paint number 10's front door to that mirrored gloss finish. Obviously not everyone has that time to get 100% perfection so one does as best they can within their time-scale. I don't expect you to go to that degree of finish, but considering all the effort you have put in so far, I wanted to make you aware of how to get a good paint finish that gives you that mirrored look.

As I said though follow the manufactures instructions for the paint, application, drying times etc. I hope it does not yellow over time as some paints/lacquers can do. I'm trying to think of another way that you can protect your finish so it does not oxidise but don't know of anything that can withstand the test of time and heat.

Maybe Chric knows of a detailing metal polish that protects from oxidization and discolouration. But you want something that lasts pretty much forever and is heat resistant otherwise it's like rearsets and one has to keep on top of it with Autosol or equivalent.

Oh and I should add in response to your question. Yes you will be taking back off what you have previously applied but we are talking microns as a scale of measurement/paint thickness. You taking off the highs/roughness from the previous coat to get it back down to a that perfectly smooth as glass (or baby's elbow LOL) surface ready for the next coat or finish.

Hope that makes sense :thumbup:

Check out the vids in the following thread
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26166

Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Would natural (clear) anodising work?
Jamie :wave:
darkember

Post by darkember »

Thanks Carl makes sense now :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Can you get a clear anodising then. Not heard of that before. Why arn't we all doing that to out headers then. Is anodising heat resistant.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You could chrome it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.