Chain and sprockets

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
shifty123

Chain and sprockets

Post by shifty123 »

Just a quickie from a complete noob, if I get a kit from busters will the chain come split or whole? And will I need to get some tools to put it on?
Jamoi

Re: Chain and sprockets

Post by Jamoi »

The chain usually comes split, with a choice of 2 links. You want to use the link which requires the pins burring over (riveting), you could...

1- get yourself a chain splitter/riveter and do it yourself.

Or,

2- check the length of chain is correct and take it in to a bike shop for them to rivet for you.

With something like a chain, safety is paramount so I'd recommend taking it to a shop and watching how they do it, they might even do it for free.

Then next time you need a new chain, you know what is involved and can make the decision weather to do it yourself or not.

:)
Jamie :wave:
Max

Post by Max »

Just bought a DID chain from Busters and it came with a rivet link
Max

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Good advice there jamoi.

Yes most chains will come split and have the rivet ready to be put in place. Personally I'm not a fan of the cheaper chain tools like the DID or similar type. I have broken a few over the years, take it to a friendly garage to rivet the link for free is your best bet. You can take the chain in on it's own as it don't need to be on the bike. It will go on the bike with the link in place.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 20#p326373

Chain and Sprocket Swap

I wouldn't recommend it but I have placed the chain on a bit of timber in the past and used a punch and hammer to roll the rivet head over. I kept the rivet part from one of the broken DID chain tools I mentioned and hit it with a hammer.

One day I will buy a decent Whale chain tool
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Whale-Chain-B ... 2ec8ef50f2

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
shifty123

Post by shifty123 »

Fonts of knowledge, the lot of you. Might have to get myself one of those. Another tool to add to my man cave
:thumbup: