any advice? about to swap my flywheel

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Bleh

Re: any advice? about to swap my flywheel

Post by Bleh »

gl_s_r wrote:So as a question is there a limit to how much weight I can remove or will it all be a advantage?
Yes, there would be a limit as there is with anything. The more material you remove, the 'weaker' the component would become... At the end of they day (it gets dark :oops: ), you still have a rotating mass spinning at thousands of RPM's, couple that with the additional forces, i.e. throwing the bike from side to side, even though minimal in terms of stresses the material can be subject too, they're still forces being applied to your weakened part.

What I have seen which has been relatively successful is lightening of the crank BUT BEWARE, removing even 0.5mm to much material will shake your engine to pieces as the counter-balance becomes non-existent. With the pressure being developed upon combustion in out beloved VTR's, putting the extra stress on the crank may 'NOT' be advisable but it is possible.

^Probably an experiment for someone with more money than sense and access to an engine dyno for several tests to be carried out to discover the limitations!
I'm not death to power tools... If it breaks, it's obviously NOT a power tool!!!
lloydie

any advice? about to swap my flywheel

Post by lloydie »

Mass and weight are not the same as you can have greater mass but less weight and the other way around .
Like a feather pillow , it has a large mass but low weight .
A house brick small mass and a greater weight .

If your removing metal from the flywheel say taking it down to 125mm like I do the and the minimum limit being 120mm I can't see it failing .
Tho if you remove metal from the magnet basket (136mm minimum) due to it's sharp and size how long will it last before it splits ?
And what is considered a safe limit .
Now I know you have to consider the material in which it's made from and the max rpm
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

This is the minimum you can take it down to but how safe it'll be I don't know
Bleh

Post by Bleh »

lloydie wrote:Mass and weight are not the same as you can have greater mass but less weight and the other way around .
Technically correct as in an object in deep space is weightless but has considerable mass. The biggest difference(?) being the effect of gravity! In terms of the thread though, I would assume 'weight' is being referred to as the removal of material from the flywheel.

Just done a quick search on weight (after the sentence above) and interestingly, weight is described by the formula W=mg (The Engineering Toolbox). I didn't know that but do now. What I found interesting is that potential energy (PE) = mgh (mass*gravity*height), so... you could, in a round about way, say we are all bundles of potential energy :eh:

Anyway, apologies if my mass statements caused any confusion. I tend to think and relate most things to mass!
I'm not death to power tools... If it breaks, it's obviously NOT a power tool!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's all very interesting Bleh. You loose me when you start throwing equations about but I get the jist of what your saying. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I'm still waiting to place my Chinese order ! :Lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Bleh wrote:
Anyway, apologies if my mass statements caused any confusion. I tend to think and relate most things to mass!
So you like big birds then !!

No need to apologise as I'm always confused !!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm thinking about the SP flywheel and how that compares to ours. If it's OK on them then ours cut down to that amount must be OK.

Check out the pics in this listing.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR1000 ... 48509f01e2

Looks like some kind of balancing around the outside though.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR1000 ... 51ad017669

==============================Enter the Darkside
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

What effect would removing the anti rattle gear as well as the waterpump gear and chain have as I did when I fitted the lightened flywheel along with an electric water pump.

My thought was that less rotating mass would also help to spin the motor up quicker but as I did all of this together I don't know what difference just the flywheel makes.

One thing for sure my engine braking certainly increased quite dramatically which in turn made throttle control critical which in turn made me feel more connected with the bike and even the guys that I ride with commented about how much quicker the bike seemed especially out of corners.

I do tend to rev the bike harder and hold gears longer with this mod and agree that it is almost like changing the gearing.

The top end wail is addictive and it gets there so much quicker!

On that note if you get a chance put it side by side with a standard bike and listen to the difference, it's very noticeable!
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I just have 1 question... who's going to lighten my flywheel for me?? :) :beer:
Jamie :wave:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Jamoi wrote:I just have 1 question... who's going to lighten my flywheel for me?? :) :beer:
same chap who does mine hopefully!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

lloydie wrote:Mass and weight are not the same as you can have greater mass but less weight and the other way around .
Like a feather pillow , it has a large mass but low weight .
A house brick small mass and a greater weight .

If your removing metal from the flywheel say taking it down to 125mm like I do the and the minimum limit being 120mm I can't see it failing .
Tho if you remove metal from the magnet basket (136mm minimum) due to it's sharp and size how long will it last before it splits ?
And what is considered a safe limit .
Now I know you have to consider the material in which it's made from and the max rpm
you are so smart!!! aim filling up!!! practice on my flywheel pls.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

cybercarl wrote:That's all very interesting Bleh. You loose me when you start throwing equations about but I get the jist of what your saying. :thumbup:

Just wait until he starts throwing his weight around!

Or mass, I forget.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
ebenviljoen

Post by ebenviljoen »

Now gents, a stupid question, reading up on bigger sprockets on the rear and how the bike performs with 2 up on rear and standard front, how will the bike handle with a bigger rear sprocket and lightened flywheel? Will it be a deathtrap, near impossible to ride or just mental? :roll:
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

Jamoi wrote:I just have 1 question... who's going to lighten my flywheel for me?? :) :beer:
I got one you can have.. It's quite heavy, weighty or massful so rather than post it I may take a ride out as soon as I can and drop it off to you?
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?