900rr swinger brace

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
8541Hawk

Re: 900rr swinger brace

Post by 8541Hawk »

Some can have the attitude that drilling a hole will cause weakness but then again it has been show a round hole causes no structural issues.
Also you do not just leave a hole but when you thread in a bolt you have now replaced the material you have removed with a bit of steel, so is it stronger or weaker than when you started?

What we have here is different ways to come to the same conclusion.

Some have just drilled and tapped the swingarm with no issues (make sure you use a fine pitch thread).

I use riv-nuts as I like steel treads.

Others insist on added welded bits.

I have never seen any of the methods fail.

So use whatever method lets you sleep the best at night but all will work just fine :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I guess it comes down to where one also wants to position the bobbins. :think:

Personally I have not used rivit nuts. The idea of drilling a hole kind of puts me off as I get thoughts like Eriks views. But I don't see the sense in it as we already have holes for the break line clips or chain guide etc. Yeh that is a narrower part of the box section so it may be better, I don't know.

But like you Mike I have never seen any drilled holes that have caused problems. I would have thought even a filled hole may possibly cause tiny stress fractures over time, but they would be so microscopic and take so long, that it makes it nothing to worry about. I'm guessing as metals are not my subject!

It comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. I don't see either as being as good or bad as each other, but my preference is to weld something on to tap. You can always change it or take it off later if you want. You can't un-drill a hole in the side of the swingarm.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

8541Hawk wrote:
So use whatever method lets you sleep the best at night but all will work just fine :thumbup:
Mike can you reccomend anyone to weld the brace, im having trouble finding somewhere to do a small custom job. every place ive talked to only does trailer hitches or structural welding. im kinda running out of ideas...
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Jscobey wrote:
8541Hawk wrote:
Mike can you reccomend anyone to weld the brace, im having trouble finding somewhere to do a small custom job. every place ive talked to only does trailer hitches or structural welding. im kinda running out of ideas...
Yes I do. I'll have to get in touch with them but it should be no big deal
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

8541Hawk wrote:
great id really appreciate that!! i got the 900rr swinger today, and the caliper bracket and spare VTR swinger are scheduled to arrive this thursday. my days off are sunday monday so either of those days are fine.

then we gotta get out and ride!!!! 8)
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

cybercarl wrote:
Personally I have not used rivit nuts. The idea of drilling a hole kind of puts me off as I get thoughts like Eriks views. But I don't see the sense in it as we already have holes for the break line clips or chain guide etc. Yeh that is a narrower part of the box section so it may be better, I don't know.

But like you Mike I have never seen any drilled holes that have caused problems. I would have thought even a filled hole may possibly cause tiny stress fractures over time, but they would be so microscopic and take so long, that it makes it nothing to worry about. I'm guessing as metals are not my subject!

This should either answer some of your questions.....or confuse the hell out of you...... :lol:

Fatigue occurs when a material is subjected to repeated loading and unloading. If the loads are above a certain threshold, microscopic cracks will begin to form at the stress concentrators such as the surface, persistent slip bands (PSBs), and grain interfaces.[1] Eventually a crack will reach a critical size, the crack will propagate suddenly, and the structure will fracture. The shape of the structure will significantly affect the fatigue life; square holes or sharp corners will lead to elevated local stresses where fatigue cracks can initiate. Round holes and smooth transitions or fillets will therefore increase the fatigue strength of the structure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_%28material%29

Don't take it as I am saying removing material makes a part stronger, just that drilling a hole in a swingarm will have no ill effects.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Jscobey wrote:
8541Hawk wrote:
great id really appreciate that!! i got the 900rr swinger today, and the caliper bracket and spare VTR swinger are scheduled to arrive this thursday. my days off are sunday monday so either of those days are fine.

then we gotta get out and ride!!!! 8)
I'll give them a call tomorrow and let you know when I hear from them
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

8541Hawk wrote:
I'll give them a call tomorrow and let you know when I hear from them
any luck?

i never would have thought it would be so difficult to find someone who is willing and able to do it.
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

heres what ive got so far. cut the brace off and prepped it for welding. still working on finding someone to do the actual welding but hopefully ill figure that out soon cuz i really want to ride with it at the track on the 29th of this month!!

kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Make sure that you put your axle and disc caliper carrier bracket on to line up the bracket for the carrier on the swinger when you give it to the welder.

That way you can slide the axle and carrier bracket as if you are adjusting the chain and be assured of mounting the disc carrier bracket in the right spot on the swinger.

Does that make sense?
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm liking the panel beating on the brace for the shock. So far so good!

==============================Enter the Darkside
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

kenmoore wrote:Make sure that you put your axle and disc caliper carrier bracket on to line up the bracket for the carrier on the swinger when you give it to the welder.

That way you can slide the axle and carrier bracket as if you are adjusting the chain and be assured of mounting the disc carrier bracket in the right spot on the swinger.

Does that make sense?
yes totally, thats a great way to explain it. keeps things really simple. thanks. im still looking for someone to weld it though. i didnt think it would be so hard to find someone to do it!
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Boat builder or repairer that welds alloy all the time!

I'm lucky as a mate of mine is a custom boat builder and he did it for me.

Also regarding the spools, the swing arm I bought had these with it.

Fairly simple solution to the problem that I can't take the credit for.

A piece of flat steel 1/4" x1/2" flat steel plate that is 2" long that has a 6 mill coarse threaded hole.

Simply drilled a corresponding hole in the bottom of the swinger and slide the plate into the hollow recess on the under side of your swinger then bolt it up.

The spools on here are crap and I will fabricate a better bracket/ spool when I get around to it, but for now they work.

I have used them just to see but I won't use them all the time until I make new ones.

Image : :thumbup:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Still haven't heard back from them yet......
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

8541Hawk wrote:Still haven't heard back from them yet......
its okay i just now found someone that can do it. im supposed to drop it off in the morning. really appreciate you trying tho!