CCT Lock - Advice on making needed

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
StewartR

CCT Lock - Advice on making needed

Post by StewartR »

Hi folks of the fab forum!

Thoughts are very much on the stopper mod today but I'm short 1 x CCT Lock Tool. Also short the tools and material to make said beastie - Can I knock one up out of a tin can using a pair of cheap ass Wilko tin snips or does it need to be a little more refined and sturdy?
Jamoi

Re: CCT Lock - Advice on making needed

Post by Jamoi »

You can try to make it from a tin can, but it would have to be a pretty sturdy tin can! It's worth a crack, have a hunt around for something like a bit of 1mm steel or the like..
Jamie :wave:
StewartR

Post by StewartR »

Jamoi wrote:You can try to make it from a tin can, but it would have to be a pretty sturdy tin can! It's worth a crack, have a hunt around for something like a bit of 1mm steel or the like..
Cheers chap. Will hunt for summat a little more sturdy.

There's a Fireblade one listed on ebay for 4/5 of FA so have asked the seller for dims - might just get me off the hook.
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

fold a baked bean can and flatten,cut the shape out and you got one...don't forget once you've turned it 1/4 turn put tape over the key so it can't pop out...then remove the cct
Last edited by tattoo on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can do the job without it...
Remove the 8mm end cap bolt.
Just loosen one mounting cap head first, and remove. Now uncrack the other cap head screw, so that it's still holding the CCT in but you can undo the pa head screw with an Allen key in one hand.
Insert a small flat blade in and locate it in the slot. Holding the screwdriver and the CCT with one hand, remove the other cap head and carefully pull out the cct and screwdriver as a combination, holding it tightly in one hand.
Have a digi caliper to hand to measure the gap between the rubber plug on the end of the cct and the body.
Once you have the measurement, let go of the screwdriver and get on with the work.

This key nonsense just make extra work.
I have some, rarely use them.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote:You can do the job without it...
Remove the 8mm end cap bolt.
Just loosen one mounting cap head first, and remove. Now uncrack the other cap head screw, so that it's still holding the CCT in but you can undo the pa head screw with an Allen key in one hand.
Insert a small flat blade in and locate it in the slot. Holding the screwdriver and the CCT with one hand, remove the other cap head and carefully pull out the cct and screwdriver as a combination, holding it tightly in one hand.
Have a digi caliper to hand to measure the gap between the rubber plug on the end of the cct and the body.
Once you have the measurement, let go of the screwdriver and get on with the work.

This key nonsense just make extra work.
I have some, rarely use them.
I'm sorry Tony, but I have to totally disagree with you on that. I have done the job both ways like yourself, and I find trying to hold a screwdriver in the correct position as you suggest, you almost need a third hand so-to-speak.

IMO making and using a key to lock the plunger in position is the easiest and most accurate option. You also have to remember a lot of our members won't have had the experience in working on bikes like yourself.

Chris.
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

Sorry but, , cant help you with purchasing manual ccts due to administrator rules and restrictions.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

adewhitmarsh wrote:Sorry but, , cant help you with purchasing manual ccts due to administrator rules and restrictions.
He doesn't need them smart butt. He's just talking about the locking key.

Read post properly before slagging off the Admin of this fine forum & their RULES & REGULATIONS.

If you don't like them don't visit the forum !

Other than that have a nice day...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
StewartR

Post by StewartR »

Happy I could do it without locking but it just seems a shedload easier.

Sent dims to a guy flogging Fireblade locks on eBay and they came back a match. He was only after £3 posted so I went that route as it less that the cheapest tin snips I could find. Just heard and he's sending me one for each tensioner. Bargain!

Cheers for the contributions here though - much appreciated.
oorwullie43

Post by oorwullie43 »

Make one out of a tea spoon! That's what I did, just takes a little time to cut it to shape. :D
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

I must be a smart butt, as I dont pay £65 -£85.00 for manual ccts like some.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

adewhitmarsh wrote:I must be a smart butt, as I dont pay £65 -£85.00 for manual ccts like some.
"how to win friends and influence people" its a great book :thumbup:

there is a charming gentleman on here who makes them for a good deal less .
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

Yes me.lol
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

lumpyv wrote:
adewhitmarsh wrote:I must be a smart butt, as I dont pay £65 -£85.00 for manual ccts like some.
"how to win friends and influence people" its a great book :thumbup:

there is a charming gentleman on here who makes them for a good deal less .
Ade read the OP's thread again he doesn't want to buy CCT's. So your not so smart after all... :lol: :lol:

The smart butt comment was a dig at your snide remarks about the forum rules BTW.

Good shout Lumpy, he is indeed a charming Gentleman, makes up for the fact he's a ginge... :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

adewhitmarsh wrote:Yes me.lol
doesn't appear to be the case IMO.