for those of you with swing arm spools...

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Jscobey

for those of you with swing arm spools...

Post by Jscobey »

im talking about the guys that have drilled and taped directly into their swing arm

Does the bolt go through both walls of the swinger or just the outer wall?
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
simo

Re: for those of you with swing arm spools...

Post by simo »

Just the outer. You'll need a fine thread so you'll get as much thread as possible in the thickness of the s/arm matirial .
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Simo is right, just the outer wall. The outer wall is around 4mm thick. While I agree a fine pitch would be better, I used a standard pitch thread and have not had any problems with the bobbins coming lose yet. Use thread loc on the threads.

Dimensions I used are here 3rd post down:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 18&t=15816

Chris.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Or alternatively you could do as I did and weld on 2 round bosses tapped out m8 :thumbup: , but I had swinger off the bike already :D
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

ive read that its better to use a rivnut but ive also never read any incidents on anyones swing arm cracking or anything even tapping directly into it.

im just wondering how the threads tapped directly into the swing arm hold up after years of use, 200, 800, 1000 times on and off a rear stand....

i take my bike on and off stands alot
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

A recent thread you missed. More info here

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

cybercarl wrote:A recent thread you missed. More info here

(:-})
thanks! now i just need the torque spec for the bobbin bolt
Max

Post by Max »

Just has a browse of Rivnuts, its approx 11 mm hole for a M8 Rivnut .... thats a big hole in the side
Max

Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

just ended up tapping directly into the swingarm. seems sturdy. but i guess we will see how it goes in the long run.

i drilled the holes according to a photo i saw on here showing the spool mounted 107mm from the rear, and 25mm up from the bottom

bolts were M8x1.25 which is pretty much the standard size bolt for small spools. i drilled with a 17/64 bit and then taped it. threads turned out nicely. put a dash of blue locktite on each bolt.

budd

Post by budd »

Mine are tapped direct into the swingarm and thread locked, they've been in around 3 yrs with no issues, just remember not to go mad tighening them up there isn't much thread and it would be very easy to rip it out, let the thread lock do it's job to keep it secure.

Re other methods, without doubt the best solution is to weld on a threaded pice of alloy tube but this almost certainly requires the swing arm to be removed which is a PITA just for bobbin lugs, so if I were to do it again or mine ever start to coming loose I'd use rivnuts for sure.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Well done glad you've done the job :thumbup: the only thing is you've modified the "R" and "K" letters :wink: :)
budd wrote: Re other methods, without doubt the best solution is to weld on a threaded pice of alloy tube but this almost certainly requires the swing arm to be removed which is a PITA just for bobbin lugs, so if I were to do it again or mine ever start to coming loose I'd use rivnuts for sure.
At least we have that option if they did ever come lose.

Chris.
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

sirch345 wrote:Well done glad you've done the job :thumbup: the only thing is you've modified the "R" and "K" letters :wink: :)

At least we have that option if they did ever come lose.

Chris.
i dont even know what the RK means ha. this is the swingarm i bought so that when i got the brace welded on i wouldnt have to have alot of downtime. but i didnt mind the look of the stickers so i left em! i like to think it means "Really Kool"

and yea that sealed the deal for me. i figure i start with as small a hole as possible, then if anything ever happened i could step up to a larger whole with a rivnut. but id rather not start with a big hole if i dont have to.

from what people say theres guys that have had the bobbins taped right into the swinger for 5+ years. i do use the rear stand alot though so we will see.

ive yet to hear of anyones failing in any sort of way weather tapped, rivnut, welded, etc....
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jscobey wrote: i dont even know what the RK means ha. this is the swingarm i bought so that when i got the brace welded on i wouldnt have to have alot of downtime. but i didnt mind the look of the stickers so i left em! i like to think it means "Really Kool"
:clap: I like that :thumbup: RK make motorcycle final drive chains,

Chris