Front wheel wont line up ?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
karenvtr

Front wheel wont line up ?

Post by karenvtr »

Hiya guys ... My other half is sat in the garage swearing alot ! He seems very puzzled with what we thought was going to be the simplest of tasks .. :lol:

He isnt happy with the front wheel .. the problem is the wheels have been off for around 6 months and he did lay all the spacers etc out very nicely but I managed to knock them off the work top in the garage and put them back how I thought they were :biggrin :clap:

Would any one know what sizes the front wheel spacers are ? ... we are using a 22mm on the right and a 16mm on the left but the left disc is tight up against the fork leg with these spacers fitted ??

Any help / suggestions welcome and appreciated ! :thumbup: :D
Wicky

Re: Front wheel wont line up ?

Post by Wicky »

Try them the other way?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
karenvtr

Post by karenvtr »

Wicky wrote:Try them the other way?
They do fit much better the other way but the haynes and the dealers diagrams all show them fitted with the short on the left and the long one on the right ? I was hoping some one could confirm these spacers are the correct size to make sure they haven't been mixed up with maybe one from the rear ?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm not sure on the exact spacer sizes but there is very little clearance between the brake disks and fork legs, only a few mm. What is important is to make sure everything lines up. A good way to do this is to loosen all the bolts including axle and brake callipers and leave the top bolts that clamp the fork legs by the clip on's tight so things don't collapse :eek2 So basically the only thing holding the forks legs in place is the top mounting bolts. Push down and lift up on the forks a few times and this will pull everything into alignment and square things up. Then go through tightening up all the bolts, lower yoke, callipers, axle etc. Leave the pinch bolts to last. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
karenvtr

Post by karenvtr »

cybercarl wrote:I'm not sure on the exact spacer sizes but there is very little clearance between the brake disks and fork legs, only a few mm. What is important is to make sure everything lines up. A good way to do this is to loosen all the bolts including axle and brake callipers and leave the top bolts that clamp the fork legs by the clip on's tight so things don't collapse :eek2 So basically the only thing holding the forks legs in place is the top mounting bolts. Push down and lift up on the forks a few times and this will pull everything into alignment and square things up. Then go through tightening up all the bolts, lower yoke, callipers, axle etc. Leave the pinch bolts to last. :thumbup:

thats a great tip ... Ill give that a try :clap:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Look at the wheel as it sounds like you have it on the wrong way .
Check spoke patten against the rear wheel .
The spacers should fit with the big one on the right side and the small one on the left .
The spindle slides through to make up the space on the left spacer
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

And personally I wouldn't slacken off the yokes as if you have the wrong size spacer on the forks it could bend them .
But that me
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

only an idiot would put the front wheel on the wrong way round, if they were really stupid they'd put the front discs on the wrong side as well..... :oops: :oops: :oops:
(ain't that right Jamie..... :shh: )
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
karenvtr

Post by karenvtr »

lloydie wrote:Look at the wheel as it sounds like you have it on the wrong way .
Check spoke patten against the rear wheel .
The spacers should fit with the big one on the right side and the small one on the left .
The spindle slides through to make up the space on the left spacer
Yes yes yes yes !! .... thats the answer !! ... The garage have re fitted the tyre incorrectly after painting !! It all makes sence now ..

10/10 sir !! :clap: :clap: :clap:
karenvtr

Post by karenvtr »

agentpineapple wrote:only an idiot would put the front wheel on the wrong way round, if they were really stupid they'd put the front discs on the wrong side as well..... :oops: :oops: :oops:
ha ha ha .... yeah yeah :oops: :oops: ... :wave:
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

agentpineapple wrote:only an idiot would put the front wheel on the wrong way round, if they were really stupid they'd put the front discs on the wrong side as well..... :oops: :oops: :oops:
That still makes me chortle to myself when I think of it :lol: :)
Jamie :wave:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

8O I've not come across that before :) Glad you've got the bottom of the problem Karen, I bet you other half is too. Good shout Lloydie :thumbup:

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

That's my 0.1% of helpful posts out the way for this year ! Now to start posting crap again :-)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That still makes me chortle
Is that a bit like chuckle :lol:

Well done Lloyd :clap: :clap:

==============================Enter the Darkside
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

cybercarl wrote:
That still makes me chortle
Is that a bit like chuckle :lol:
More of a belly laugh or enthusiastic chuckle... http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... sh/chortle

:)
Jamie :wave: