Full black Storm conversion?

Moderator: VTRDark

Wicky

Re: Full black Storm conversion?

Post by Wicky »

Careful how you go - last time I hit that problem I had to cut the plastic surround to remove the headlight. The screws go into metal inserts ( like these > http://www.insertsdirect.com/acatalog/u ... serts.html) embedded in the plastic. On the next surround I got I replaced screws with well copper-greased hex bolts.
mattycoops43 wrote:I now have a second headlight as I have the one in the new fairing, however, I tried to remove my old one to paint the surround, and the screws are seized. I am happy to have another go at getting it out, but don't hold your breath.

Matt
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Wicky wrote:Careful how you go - last time I hit that problem I had to cut the plastic surround to remove the headlight. The screws go into metal inserts ( like these > http://www.insertsdirect.com/acatalog/u ... serts.html) embedded in the plastic. On the next surround I got I replaced screws with well copper-greased hex bolts.
mattycoops43 wrote:I now have a second headlight as I have the one in the new fairing, however, I tried to remove my old one to paint the surround, and the screws are seized. I am happy to have another go at getting it out, but don't hold your breath.

Matt
I have been told to try gripping the plastic turret with mole grips to hold the insert. I had to cut slots in the head just to get them to turn! Might be worth a go though. Or I just swap the whole thing if I want a white surround.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Jamoi wrote:Hey Matty, glad you're pleased with the fairing & stuff, worth your trip I hope.

My sis doesn't let many people handle her ferret, so think yourself lucky.

:)
can I handle your sisters furry friend..... :Eyebrows:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

johnfish wrote:Do you by chance have a spare headlight? Mine is a European one :thumbdown:
if matty can't sort one out, I might be interested with a swap for your euro headlight?
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
johnfish

Post by johnfish »

AP How would a swap work? Only I don't think I could survive the wait, having my 'storm off the road while waiting for the headlight! :crazy:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

johnfish wrote:AP How would a swap work? Only I don't think I could survive the wait, having my 'storm off the road while waiting for the headlight! :crazy:
I have a spare headlight.... :thumbup:
i'll send it to you, then once you receive it, you send me the euro headlight..... :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Might be better off doing that, I have my storm in a million bits, and have enough on my hands for the next few days without trying to sort seized fairing screws too.

Sorry, that's not meant to sound grumpy at all, just don't want you to wait around for ages if I am not going to have time to get to it. If you don't sort out the swap, let me know. Lots on here have helped me out loads, only fair to pass it on a bit!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

mattycoops43 wrote:Might be better off doing that, I have my storm in a million bits, and have enough on my hands for the next few days without trying to sort seized fairing screws too.

Sorry, that's not meant to sound grumpy at all, just don't want you to wait around for ages if I am not going to have time to get to it. If you don't sort out the swap, let me know. Lots on here have helped me out loads, only fair to pass it on a bit!
sorry matty, I jumped the gun some what, my apologies.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

No no, you really didn't!

I was musing outloud thinking I might be able to help, then realised it would be a right royal pita to get it out of the fairing.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

mattycoops43 wrote:No no, you really didn't!

I was musing outloud thinking I might be able to help, then realised it would be a right royal pita to get it out of the fairing.
I've been there dude, you think you can help someone out, but it turns into a right mess.... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Virt

Post by Virt »

agentpineapple wrote:
I've been there dude, you think you can help someone out, but it turns into a right mess.... :lol:

And that's usually when you give Carl a shout, right? :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
johnfish

Post by johnfish »

agentpineapple wrote:
johnfish wrote:AP How would a swap work? Only I don't think I could survive the wait, having my 'storm off the road while waiting for the headlight! :crazy:
I have a spare headlight.... :thumbup:
i'll send it to you, then once you receive it, you send me the euro headlight..... :wink:
You superstar! :beer:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm not sure if that's a dig at me or not. I shall take it as a compliment. :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

cybercarl wrote:
I'm not sure if that's a dig at me or not. I shall take it as a compliment. :lol:

(:-})
I believe it's a dig at me, sometimes I wish he hadn't come back to the forum..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

Matt
try pouring boiling water over the screws first. I had too and cut groves across them as they were rounded off.
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721