Regulator checking procedure ?

General Bike chat
vtwinthunder

Regulator checking procedure ?

Post by vtwinthunder »

Hi there , went for a ride today and was poodling along when the clocks stopped working , pulled over and turned the bike off , big mistake , the battery was flat , got it started with jump leads , thanks to my bro , when we put a meter reader on the battery when it was running , it was not charging at all , stayed on 9v , the battery was new a week ago , how do i check if the regulator is working ? Theres fire wires in total . Thanks in advance .
Wicky

Re: Regulator checking procedure ?

Post by Wicky »

The test you've done with multimeter shows the regulator/rectifier isn't working - though was the battery charged up to 12V prior to your testing - if so then it should be showing 13.5-15.5V when revved. Pg 16-1 (283) in the downloadable PDF VTR workshop manual in the workshop knowledgebase section. Clean up earth contacts etc , get a later upgraded finned version or even better get a MOSFET R/R. The standard 97-01 unfinned R/R is only fit for the bin. Use the search as there's a gazillion threads on this well known weakness.
Theres fire wires in total
Keep a fire extinguisher handy ;)
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

If it's older than a year, and stock Honda, or various non-OEM manufacturers, like Ricks, and other crap... The testing procedure really should end there... Why waste time and effort to find out what you already know? Swap it for a NEW OEM Honda one or a new OEM Yamaha one of older model, or a good used one of Mosfet type (various OEM makes), and be done with it...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
vtwinthunder

Post by vtwinthunder »

Thanks guys , i think i did know it was fooked already , just trying to hold onto the 50 notes a bit longer :) cheers.