Full to empty-

General Biker Banter
lumpyv

Re: Full to empty-

Post by lumpyv »

cybercarl wrote:I wont be going on the Dyno again until my exhaust and Mori pipes are done. But TBH I don't think a dyno will help much, not unless you are way out. Fuel economy is not just down to carb set up but timing, valve clearances, wear and tear, suspension setup and tyre pressures, weather conditions etc etc it all contributes to it. At the end of the day we all just have to accept the fact that these bikes where not built for economy and it all comes down to where and how we ride. I find short town trips are the worst for economy.

(:-})
bearing all the above in mind then would you say that the higher the mpg the better the condition of the engine??
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

No just something else that contributes to it. Getting the Carbs dialled in is last on the list and are tuned to the engine so no point in getting that done if for example your valve clearances are out or have other issues. Basically what I am saying is not to forgot the other things that contribute to the fuelling and performance, it's not just having the perfect carb set up as everything works as a whole.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

tattoo wrote:
lumpyv wrote:
tattoo wrote:never run out of fuel but i'm looking for a station at around 66mls,68 and the lights on 70-75 and i'm pushing...
i,d get that looked at ! :thumbup:
it has been looked at...many times...the tanks been checked for dents,the carbs have been balanced by both me and the honda dealer,there's no fuel leaks and it's not running rich...if i'm honest it's done 70 to 85mls to the tank from the day i bought it...if i wanted something that does high mpg i would of bought a blackbird not the firestorm,the low mpg doesn't bother me at all....
fair enough, but how low would you let it go ?? :beer:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Well... Last experiment with engine tuning for the local Honda shop, returned about 70 miles to a full tank... Now, you might piss and moan about your mileage... But that's sensationally bad... I plain and simple told the shop supervisor down there that the next VTR owner that walks in hand him my number, and don't dare touch the carb's... Same bike, different setup, runs better, and gets better mileage after five minutes of me swearing, and changing stuff...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Well just to add some info.... I really can't comment on when my RLOD comes on as I have it tweaked so it comes on with one gal left.......

But "normally" I see around 34mpg, start to get "aggressive" and it will drop down to about 30mpg or so (Though my record is the RLOD @ 70 miles but that was mostly ton up speeds)
On this last trip, running between 4-5K with stock gearing so in the 75-90 MPH range I was returning 38 MPG.

The highest I have ever seen was 42MPG and that was a "Noobie" day when we used to tow the new rider around the Mtn for a day and never got the bike over 3K...... so it has only happened once...... :lol: :lol:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

I see anything from 85 to 125 before the fuel light comes on.

I have noticed that the better mpg is obtained on the open road, definitely not in town / commuting!
98 'Storm
16 Kawasaki Z1000sx
95 CB500r
98 Vfr800
00 Zx6r

Destined4bikes17@gmail.com
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

Redthunder wrote:
I have noticed that the better mpg is obtained on the open road, definitely not in town / commuting!
That's it then stop commuting and stick to the open road :lol:
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most
simon t

Post by simon t »

Used to get 34mpg on the Storm (16 l tank) = range around 120 miles. :(
Used to get 45mpg on the SV1000 (17 l tank) = range around 170 miles. :)
Get nearly 50mpg on Fazer 1000 (21 l tank) = range around 220 miles. :D

ps Just got back from short Alpine tour and was getting 56mpg = range around 250 miles! :beer:
Beleif

Post by Beleif »

Fuel light comes on at 101 for me. It's been consistent so far. I've done about 600 miles in 2 months
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

125 miles on 12.5 litres of fuel
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

My light of doom came on last week at 202 miles :lol: :lol: Worked it out to be 45 mpg, on a run it'll do 50 I'm sure.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

leevtr wrote:My light of doom came on last week at 202 miles :lol: :lol: Worked it out to be 45 mpg, on a run it'll do 50 I'm sure.
:Jaw Drop:
Four wheels move the body,
Two wheels move the soul.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Flatline wrote:125 miles on 12.5 litres of fuel
That's 45 mpg then :wink: Not bad :thumbup:
leevtr wrote:My light of doom came on last week at 202 miles Worked it out to be 45 mpg, on a run it'll do 50 I'm sure.
What you driving this week Lee, I cant keep up with your changes but I'm pretty sure Ive never seen a Firestorm cover 200 miles on a tank :lol:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

lee's on a varadero with lovely fuel injection.....you'd never see 200 on a storm..... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Watty

Post by Watty »

leevtr wrote:My light of doom came on last week at 202 miles :lol: :lol: Worked it out to be 45 mpg, on a run it'll do 50 I'm sure.
Bloody hell 8O a storm would only do that in the back of a van :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!