Fly Wheel lightening ?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Max

Re: Fly Wheel lightening ?

Post by Max »

vtwinthunder wrote:You guys :) seriously though what will it do to my bike because im doing it tomorrow , will it ruin my bike ? what about the engine braking will i lose that ? will it still accellerate as good as standard ?
quicker response and more engine braking, I only cut the flywheel on mine like the American guys but its noticeable
Max

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The engine braking is a weird one. You don't notice it so much at lowers speeds but it's highly noticeable coming down from higher speeds, especially on motorway type roads.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

it revs up quicker, but the main thing is that in midrange the thing takes off better. Be careful though as mine took some getting used too, i followed Lloydie but he lost me, now that I've got used to it, its great. Engine braking is better coming down the box at speed. Mine does occasionally stall after a fast deceleration though. Ive got used to it so give it a quick blip with the clutch in when rapid slowing down.
Its a great mod.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

bigtwinthing wrote:it revs up quicker, but the main thing is that in midrange the thing takes off better. Be careful though as mine took some getting used too, i followed Lloydie but he lost me, now that I've got used to it, its great. Engine braking is better coming down the box at speed. Mine does occasionally stall after a fast deceleration though. Ive got used to it so give it a quick blip with the clutch in when rapid slowing down.
Its a great mod.
Yer but you need to rejet your carbs for your exhausts .
Mine has never stalled on decel well only when I didn't pull the clutch in when stopping :lol:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

its ok with the black ones back on. did you like the "Tat" levers?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

bigtwinthing wrote:its ok with the black ones back on. did you like the "Tat" levers?
Don't matter if I like them it's not my bike :-) but they look ok :thumbup:
vtwinthunder

Post by vtwinthunder »

Flywheel all done to rogers specs and put back together , fired up first time as allways but the engine sounds a little different , and when revving it seems a bit more sprightly :) just got to test ride now and see how it goes :0)
vtwinthunder

Post by vtwinthunder »

Just been for a test ride and im amazed at how different my bike is after the flywheel mod , no lurching power , all smooth delivery and when your in around 6 7 8 grand the thing takes off , its awesome , its like a newbike , the engine braking is very mild in low revs but that makes the bike ride so much smoother , very impressed , thanks for all the help :)
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

vtwinthunder wrote:Just been for a test ride and im amazed at how different my bike is after the flywheel mod , no lurching power , all smooth delivery and when your in around 6 7 8 grand the thing takes off , its awesome , its like a newbike , the engine braking is very mild in low revs but that makes the bike ride so much smoother , very impressed , thanks for all the help :)

we told ya, its a great mod.Lloydie did good with mine.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Love love love the lightened flywheel mod! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jamie :wave:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Bit of an old thread but here goes.

This sounds like the type of mod I've got to try, just got my hands on a spare Varadero flywheel & will be having a go at lightening it myself with the use of a mates lathe, he has 3 & 4 jaw chucks so we should de able to do it.

How are you guys are holding the flywheel in the chuck? My first idea was to machine down a knackered crank for the taper & mount it :eh: for the perfect job, that way you can go nuts machining, as all faces/areas are accessible. Or has anyone done it by holding the bowl?

Holding it in the chuck with the bowl sounds the easiest TBH, & I like easy.

I plan on following lloydies method of just taking the disc down to 125mm by holding the bowl in the chuck :thumbup:

Also got my eye on a lorry bolt (Cheers Cybercarl, top tip) for the removal process & will grind a hex on the end so it fits my 1/2" Chicago pneumatic impact gun.

I had a listen to cybercarl's Firery Dyno Run vid :thumbup: I love/want that snappy reving @ 40 seconds in, how quick is that :beer:

Any help, do's & don'ts appreciated.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The only advice I can offer is, to make sure you don't get carried away and machine off the face of the flywheel, the bit with the timing marks on, leave that there as a lip,

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Sorry I can't help with the machining side as I have no idea. I can't take credit for the lorry bolt either. Mr Mon came up with that one many moons ago.

Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

cybercarl wrote:Sorry I can't help with the machining side as I have no idea. I can't take credit for the lorry bolt either. Mr Mon came up with that one many moons ago.

Hi carl,

Also sorry Mr Mon, flicking back'n forth on various threads confusion.. :oops:

On the YouTube clip I copied, what was the weight of the flywheel you were running? Love the throttle response.

Just to give me an idea what to expect once I get it machined :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

what was the weight of the flywheel you were running?
Extreme and experimental. They can be taken too far to point that it's no longer a benefit. I think Rogers specs stop at this point and any more taken off is kinda a waste.

See the following thread for more info. Lots of info in posts regarding lightning flywheels.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 60#p327028