oulton park track virgin

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

doggit

oulton park track virgin

Post by doggit »

guys its been ages since i posted on here, and i just need advice, it was my birthday this week, and my work mates bought me a track day at oulton park, i have now booked it for the 26th july, now my question is what will i need to do to the bike, i am running bog standard suspension, so probably not much i can do to that, also got to remove my race cans and re fit my standard ones due to them having a 102db level, but what else do oulton expect, like lights and mirrors, any advice would be good so i can sort it all out before then, also it will be my 1st ever track day, and i am buzzin about it, anyone else there on the 26th july ?

cheers
carl
The most affective way to turn petrol into noise without the side affect of horse power
tony.mon

Re: oulton park track virgin

Post by tony.mon »

Take masking tape to tape up your mirrors and lights, put tape over the speedo, 'cause it don't matter how fast you think your'e going, it's whether it's faster than the other bloke.
Take gaffer tape in case you drop it, to lash bits of fairing on for the ride home, and take the time to search this forum for previous answers on the same subject.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
doggit

Post by doggit »

thanks tony.mon, i was planning on doing a search, but wanted track specific info first, then get other useful stuff from the search

carl
The most affective way to turn petrol into noise without the side affect of horse power
pstormer

Post by pstormer »

I did a track day at Oulton Park in 97. It was run by jamie whitham. One of the best things ive ever done in my life. Long time ago so dont know what requirements are now. We needed 1 piece leathers or a full zip together 2 piece set. Only advice I would give is take it slow at first and build ya speed up. Dont ride beyond your capabilites but most of all enjoy every minute of it cause theres nothing like it :thumbup:
Paul
doggit

Post by doggit »

thanks paul :biggrin

carl
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

I was planning on doing Oulton for the first time in July, I was thinking around 12/13th July, may postpone and book to coincide with yours.

As for what you 'must' do - there isn't much really, just pass the noise test. Everything else is optional. Personally I just fold back my mirrors so I can't use them and go. They ask for an ACU gold approved helmet but they never check.

Things to check and make sure of:
- you have 1 piece leathers or leathers that zip together properly. Test them before you go.
- gloves with leather on the palms
- you already mentioned the exhaust
- take a tool kit
- make sure your tyres are OK. If it's dry, you will be able to run pretty much any tyre, just let them down a bit. Normal pressures are 32 psi front and 30 psi rear (road being 36 psi front and 42 psi rear). You will find in the dry they heat up within a lap or two and give unbelievable amounts of grip, way beyond what you would have expected. If it's wet, you're going to struggle if you're running say Racetec K1 as they don't have tread on the edges. You'll aquaplane when banked over if there's too much water. Best to have something like a Pilot Road 3 or similar in that situation. If you need a new pair of tyres before you go, personally I would just get a pair of good sport touring tyres, they will do in the dry way beyond what most people are capable of, but they will work in the wet too.

Lastly, make sure you're there on time. If it's No Limits they start the briefings and give out the wrist bands quite early. You get 1 wrist band depending on what group you're in and 1 to say you have been to the briefing. If you're late, you won't go on. Also, it's not a good idea to be rushing around like a mad man trying to get ready and down to the pit lane. Trust me, I did it at Cadwell park and you will end up going out on track feeling hot, bothered and probably forgetting to keep calm and focussed and warm up the tyres properly.
doggit

Post by doggit »

Thanks for that great info miztaziggy, i have everything you suggest, also have a set of maxxis diamonds fitted last year, plenty of tread left, i am with MVS on the track day thats who my present was booked with, will you be in the intermidiate group, or like me the novice, and would be great if you did book the same day, if you decide to do the same day let me know and can meet up and ride in together, i am only about 20 minutes away from the track

Carl
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

tony.mon wrote:Take masking tape to tape up your mirrors and lights, put tape over the speedo, 'cause it don't matter how fast you think your'e going, it's whether it's faster than the other bloke.
Take gaffer tape in case you drop it, to lash bits of fairing on for the ride home, and take the time to search this forum for previous answers on the same subject.
Take your number plate off too, if you bin it you can't claim unless you have track day ins and sometimes the buggers have people at the circuits checking. If you bin it bad, remove it then tow it up the road and then claim :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

doggit wrote:Thanks for that great info miztaziggy, i have everything you suggest, also have a set of maxxis diamonds fitted last year, plenty of tread left, i am with MVS on the track day thats who my present was booked with, will you be in the intermidiate group, or like me the novice, and would be great if you did book the same day, if you decide to do the same day let me know and can meet up and ride in together, i am only about 20 minutes away from the track

Carl
I would book novice too, never done the track. Would be good to meet up.
doggit

Post by doggit »

Miztaziggy wrote:
doggit wrote:Thanks for that great info miztaziggy, i have everything you suggest, also have a set of maxxis diamonds fitted last year, plenty of tread left, i am with MVS on the track day thats who my present was booked with, will you be in the intermidiate group, or like me the novice, and would be great if you did book the same day, if you decide to do the same day let me know and can meet up and ride in together, i am only about 20 minutes away from the track

Carl
I would book novice too, never done the track. Would be good to meet up.
Just let me know when and if you book oulton via Pm and we can arrange the details
Carl
mickmickthegeek

Post by mickmickthegeek »

I did Oulton Last September mate. Great track. Was nice and wet but the Storm did very well. Take your water proofs just in case to put over your leathers.
We were in the novice group as it was our first time too. Was nice and sensible and everyone got quicker as the day went on.
See my video of my second session.

Mods to my bike were
Keep the Blue Flames on but put some baffles in.
I removed the mirrors and number plate.
Done.

I wasn't the fastest on the track but had a great time.
pstormer

Post by pstormer »

Only live about 15mins from the track so will try and do a bit of spectating :thumbup:
Paul