any ideas?

General Bike chat
uk13iker

any ideas?

Post by uk13iker »

serviced my bike the weekend started it up and after idling for a minute or so got a burning smell like wires were melting couldnt find the problem i ve rode the bike about 20 miles and every so often keep getting the melting plastic smell will be taking my bike to a garage tomorrow
VTRDark

Re: any ideas?

Post by VTRDark »

Check the regulator rectifier out. You will find it on the right hand side of the rear subframe behind the tail plastics.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

I don't think I would have done the 20 mile ride either :eek2

good luck with it :thumbup:

when my r/r conked out the smoke was coming out from under the seat. if its not the R/R you have probably squashed a wire somewhere?
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Would that be an Orange squashed wire. :lol:

The R/R itself will get rather hot and if original are most certainly prone to failing. It's very common. Check the connector plug as well as these burn out and melt when the R/R overheats. If it's overcharging it can also kill your battery and/or other electrical components. So best to investigate it sooner rather than later.

Loads of R/R info on the forum.

uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

checked r/r but only top of it as i didnt take seat fairing off properly hopefully have a proper look tomorrow ye thats my thought if not r/r squashed a wire when ive had the tank propped up might just order a new r/r as its the non finned one anyway what one should i go for? thanks lads
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Tail plastics is simple to remove two little grub screws on top at the rear near the brake light. Two trim clips underneath the sides and two cap head bolts on the front sides. Simples!

Have read through the following link regarding the R/R
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30861

uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

thanks carl
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

ok so unlocked my bike got it out to go the garage turned it over started an run for about 20 seconds then cut out will hardly turn over now would there be enough power for lights to work but not turn the bike over? Does this sound like reg/rec even more so now? waiting for multi meter tonight and will check what am i looking for with multi meter? thanks fellas
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, but can also be the main starter motor cable, as it enters the motor just behind the rear wheel.
Pull back the rubber boot and inspect.- sniff to see if that area smells burnt....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

tony.mon wrote:Yes, but can also be the main starter motor cable, as it enters the motor just behind the rear wheel.
Pull back the rubber boot and inspect.- sniff to see if that area smells burnt....
Front wheel i think! I got that from you Tony months ago, I've sorted mine now.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

Will give that a check later thanks