Compression testing advice

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
freeridenick

Compression testing advice

Post by freeridenick »

From what I've read compression testing should be done when the engine is warm, but can effective results be had from a cold engine though?

I'm being lazy really as I don't want to build my bike back up to find I've got to stop it back down again to resolve any issue.
bigtwinthing

Re: Compression testing advice

Post by bigtwinthing »

it is better at normal operating temp, but as you've said, not always practical, the results hot or cold will show up a difference though.

do you think you have a problem with the valves etc?
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

The CCT went on the front cylinder and the head needed replacing. That work was done by the guy I bought my bike off, so the valves are all OK. I just want to make sure there's no other damage.

The guy I bought it off is a close friend and he couldn't see any damage to the piston that would make him suspect a bent rod, but if I build the bike back up and there is a problem I've wasted my time.

Is there a 'tolerance' with compression or should I expect both cylinders to be exactly the same?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

hot or cold you should be able to see if you have any problems just the same, you will just get a lower reading on both cyl when cold as the engine wont be spinning as fast and the components wont have expanded to their running sizes.

the comparison front to rear is the best indication of problems more than the absolute level, but it is normal for there to be a 10 to 20% variation
AMcQ
kitsun

Post by kitsun »

freeridenick wrote:From what I've read compression testing should be done when the engine is warm, but can effective results be had from a cold engine though?

I'm being lazy really as I don't want to build my bike back up to find I've got to stop it back down again to resolve any issue.
Warming up the engine is to improve the seal. you can do it cold by squirting oil through the spark plug hole and turn the engine over a few times. this will coat the cylinders and improve the seal and the compression would be the same as when the engine is warm

kit
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try it cold and use the oil tip.

Just need to find somewhere to rent a compression test tool for a day.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I agree it doesn't really matter if the engine is hot or cold for a compression test. The important bit is (as already mentioned ) the difference between the two cylinders.

Chris.
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

......and have the throttle wide open as you spin it over :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

And both plugs out :thumbup:
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Testers aren't expensive...
Google or Amazon, from about £13
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Cool. £13 makes it not worth renting.

The oil's been drained from the engine. Will there be enough residual oil left to not damage the engine or is it best to fill it up? There's not much engine speed on the starter.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

freeridenick wrote:Cool. £13 makes it not worth renting.

The oil's been drained from the engine. Will there be enough residual oil left to not damage the engine or is it best to fill it up? There's not much engine speed on the starter.
As long as you aren't cranking it for long or testing it dozens of times it won't need oil. You'll probably do a wet test anyway, and with the other plug out there's next to no pressure on the big ends and mains, compared to normal running.
If there's not much speed on the starter and the battery's ok, check the main starter lead- they often start to fail at the lower end, or at the starter bolt itself.
Run a bit of thick-gauge auxiliary wire alongside and see if it speed up, but be careful- it may get hot quickly. If it gets hot quickly the main starter lead or motor bolt connection is failing.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Tested the compression and I get 10 bar on the front and 11 on the rear. 10% difference cold (with a bit of oil in the cylinders) seems OK from what you've all said.

Are those figures what everyone would expect? Works out at 145 and 159.5 psi, manual says 164 psi with a warm engine.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Ask someone with a boroscope to have a look, all Snap on Dealers have them, slip him £20 for a look.It will show up piston, bore and possible valve damage, well worth it.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

freeridenick wrote:Tested the compression and I get 10 bar on the front and 11 on the rear. 10% difference cold (with a bit of oil in the cylinders) seems OK from what you've all said.

Are those figures what everyone would expect? Works out at 145 and 159.5 psi, manual says 164 psi with a warm engine.
That is about what my engine reads, but I didn't put any oil in the bores... Do you have a reading before you added oil?

If it is valve damage you are checking for then those reading already tell me the valves are fine, adding oil is just a way to see if the piston rings are slightly worn
AMcQ