Oil Pressure Gauge

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
kenmoore

Oil Pressure Gauge

Post by kenmoore »

Running out of stuff to do so fitted an oil pressure gauge that had been sitting around for years.

It was originally going on my TRX850, but that was about 4 bikes ago!

I drilled and tapped the oil gallery plug behind the starter, put the fittings in, bloody tight fit, had to use a dremel on the fitting to be able to get the starter back in.

Drilled a small hole in the instrument housing, fitted a grommet to stop kinking and chaffing, ran the hose through and cable tied it for safety to some wiring and the oil cooler pipe.

Look closely in the pictures and you will see it.

I have not used a bracket to mount the gauge as it fits snugly between the screen and instrument housing, but I did put some double sided tape on the gauge where it meets the housing and screen.

Snug as a bug and doesn't move.

So far no leaks, but I think I will buy some better oil line, maybe some with a sleeve over it for batter longevity and less chance of chaffing and leaks.

Gauge shows 40 LB at idle and increases with revs.

So far no leaks.

Why did I do this? Because I could and is am running out of things I can do!

Here are some pics of the work.

I like it, what do you think?

Now if only I could get a white tachometer face I would be happy with the instruments. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

P.S No wheels bins in these pics.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
simo

Re: Oil Pressure Gauge

Post by simo »

Nice addition there mate :thumbup:
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good job Ken :thumbup:

Changing the subject slightly :)
I take it that's an electric water pump you're running there :?:

Chris.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Sure is, it's a Davies Craig.

Been on for about a year now and works great. no thermo, lightened flywheel, 4 degree advancer, no anti rattle gears, no pump drive chains or gears, J.E pistons, some head work and a few other mods as well.

Hard to tell what a difference each mod makes because they were all done at the same time.

Wails like a banshee when you get up it!

Gauge adds piece of mind as I have spent much time a $$ on her!

:beer: :beer: :beer:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks for the info Ken :thumbup: Surprisingly I hadn't come across a Davies Craig electric water pump before that I can remember. I guess you learn something new everyday :)

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

sirch345 wrote:Thanks for the info Ken :thumbup: Surprisingly I hadn't come across a Davies Craig electric water pump before that I can remember. I guess you learn something new everyday :)

Chris.
Cheap enough, may have to get me one of those....
Which size do you run, and have you also fitted the Temp Controller, or permanently on?
That's another £131, but allows five speed for the pump to run at- the simple and cheaper mechanical one will only switch the pump on after the coolant temp rises to an adjustable level won't it?

Hmmm- that would mean that the coolant would have to reach the preset temp without any pumping going on...

With the electronic one, the fan runs at a low speed until the temp hits the upper level, then can turn the pump up to flow more coolant through the rads- nice idea.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

I got onto this pump through a couple of younger mates who were running Turbo Rice Burners(Japanese Cars)they used them to regulate and boost the flow of water through their inter coolers. I saw a post on a fellow forum in the States, I think you guys know the one and decided to do it.

At that stage OCMD took over and things took off.

We all do different stuff to our bikes and that is one of the beauties of the Storm. Do what ever takes your fancy and it pays yo back in bucket loads. Every thing I have ever done to the Storm has made a difference that can be measured or felt.

A bit more involving than a PC and a pipe!

I went for a ride today with a friend of mine who's 848 has recently spent some major time in my garage and the Storm held it's own.

Trying to work out what to do next.

I have a new set of hoops waiting and I might paint the wheels white, we'll see! :beer: :beer: :beer:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Sorry Tony, I fitted an on off switch and to date have not found it necessary to change it.Only turn it off when I start the bike, Bike runs between 71-81 generally and the fans have only ever come on a couple of times at 103 in heavy stop start traffic.

I can't remember the model number but I'm sure it started with a 9 .

Any way it's a worthy mod in my book. When I did it I removed the water pump drive chain and gear as well as the anti rattle gears, fitted a few other bits so can't tell by the elbow dyno if it has made any difference to the performance but I reckon it would be noticeable if you did it as a stand alone mod.

I learnt a lesson doing multiple mods at once and that was that you are better off doing one thing at a time.

Try the leccy pump if you ever have trouble with your water pump.

Bit of a novelty, but it works. :beer: :beer: :beer:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

kenmoore wrote:Sorry Tony, I fitted an on off switch and to date have not found it necessary to change it.Only turn it off when I start the bike, Bike runs between 71-81 generally and the fans have only ever come on a couple of times at 103 in heavy stop start traffic.

I can't remember the model number but I'm sure it started with a 9 .

Any way it's a worthy mod in my book. When I did it I removed the water pump drive chain and gear as well as the anti rattle gears, fitted a few other bits so can't tell by the elbow dyno if it has made any difference to the performance but I reckon it would be noticeable if you did it as a stand alone mod.

I learnt a lesson doing multiple mods at once and that was that you are better off doing one thing at a time.

Try the leccy pump if you ever have trouble with your water pump.

Bit of a novelty, but it works. :beer: :beer: :beer:
Thanks.
You left the impellor in place?
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Yep, so I didn't have to make a block of plate.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I was going to have the hole welded up and keep it simple, also lighter.
Mostly I didn't want flow impeded by the impellor blades- I don't think that the tension in the ceramic bearing will allow it to free-wheel, so to speak.
You could just cut the blades off, though :thumbup:
Last edited by tony.mon on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

The guy that has one in the States made up a block off plate, I couldn't see the point.

I did however fit a new seal just in case and to date have not had any problems .

Bike behaves normally and runs at constant 71-83 degrees celcius.

Fan comes on at 103 and that has only happened a few times on really hot days in heavy traffic.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia