Aftermarket LED Taillight+Signal -98-05 - How to wire?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Hvornum

Aftermarket LED Taillight+Signal -98-05 - How to wire?

Post by Hvornum »

Hi.

Here's the product
First off, I won't be using the turn signals in this integrated light because I recon they don't properly show which way you're turning. (also, I don't fancy them really)

Now to the fun part, wiring diagrams...
So I've got a -97 storm, and I found a nice wiring diagram here on the forums and it looks something like this:

Removed the old Taillight but left the bulbs in place just to see how they're wired.
Measured on them and figured the middle cable going to the connector is ground, the sides must be signal and +12v respectively.
So to figure out which one was which I simply measured the passing voltage and got the green+yellow is the +12v. There for the green should be signal.

So, here's my problem..

Bike wiring:
- Green/Yellow
- Brown
- Green

LED wiring:
- Green
- Red
- Black

I got the lights to lit up, but as soon as i break (depending on my wiring) i get two outcomes:
- License plate lighting lits up [Green->Brown, Black -> Green, Red -> +12v]
or
- Ground fault effectively shutting of the lights until i release the break. [Green -> Green, Black -> Brown, Red -> +12v]

In case my english is complete rubbish, here's where I'm at now.

My conclusion is that the break light is always on, the turn signals work but the position+license light is inactive.
Also the obvious ground fault in this video.

Any idea how to patch these two wiring systems together?
Here's a picture of the original connector and the 3 main wires from the LED light (Note: I did not receive a connector from the taillight manufacturers):

Edit: I'm sorry for any Swedish people reading up on this realizing I've written sort of the same question in that forum. I was hoping I'd done enough research and written a good enough post for Tweety to be in the mood to help a poor lad out, but I realized I'll be going to the garage this evening and It's the last opportunity I have to fix this before the UK trip next week.. So hope that's alright for all Swedish people reading up on this :)
Hvornum

Re: Aftermarket LED Taillight+Signal -98-05 - How to wire?

Post by Hvornum »

When I got out to the garage, I started thinking "maybe I accedently touched one of the other connectors when I did my initial search for the signal wire..
So I remeasured everything and lo and behold.. The signal wire was the Green+Yellow (for whatever reason.. This is not according to the schematics).
Also the red wire on the LED is the ground (again, why the f*** is this.. Every standard I know says that Red is a positive wire..)

Anyway, here's the working setup:

And since I didn't have any heat shrink, so in the meantime I used some good old electric-tape (kids, don't try this at home..) :)

If it helps anyone out the slightest, here's a picture that the seller gave me (altho doesn't match the wiring on my bike):
bald_pig

Post by bald_pig »

there are a couple of versions, it seems. The one I've ordered just plugs into the original bulb holder (unless the pictures are wrong!)
Rhughes945

Post by Rhughes945 »

Love these forums. 6 year old post explaining exactly what I was looking for!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Rhughes945 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:50 am Love these forums. 6 year old post explaining exactly what I was looking for!
The main reason he had an issue is coz he bought a cheap shite one...

I've had a few of these & everyone I've had was basicaly plug & play using the std conector.

Some used both some just one...

Never bothered with the turns either, been behind some bikes with them & you can bearly see them...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Rhughes945

Post by Rhughes945 »

MacV2 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:59 am
Rhughes945 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:50 am Love these forums. 6 year old post explaining exactly what I was looking for!
The main reason he had an issue is coz he bought a cheap shite one...

I've had a few of these & everyone I've had was basicaly plug & play using the std conector.

Some used both some just one...

Never bothered with the turns either, been behind some bikes with them & you can bearly see them...
The one I have seems 'OK', but I'm definitely not going to be using the integrated turn signals.
They're a fail on an MOT and in current times where people have forgotten how to drive I prefer people to be able to see where I'm indicating as clearly as possible :D

If it turns out it's cheap and crap I'll replace the original and invest properly
Aquasplat

Post by Aquasplat »

i could not agree more rhughes945!.....i threw a lazy $30 aud at china six weeks ago and today the postie threw one of these tail lights over my front fence-literally thrown 20 feet toward the house, he's scared of my dog and trusts modern freight packaging ...
i have mostly positive outcomes buying chinese aftermarket stuff, (avoiding critical parts where failure = hospital), and the absurdly low cost means that even if it is a bit sh1t, or the postie chucks it in the pond, chucking it in the bin or the "one day" garage drawer isnt painful....

a big thanks to all who share and add and discuss and report and warn and argue and make up stuff and show off etc etc etc....without vtr1000.org
i'd be paying mechanics for knowledge they have a vested interest in selling, or making up if they dont know, and that would be no fun at all....cheers!